Thread: A few hunts along with YTC hunt.

A few hunts along with YTC hunt.

My last started thread has been a while ago. There have been finds but so far nothing too intriguing so including all together might even out. Plus I knows ya likes a lot of pics.

I did hit one of the permission sites I had a few weeks ago and have yet to go back. The only coin I pulled was a 1925 wheat but it had a nice green patina. The penny was my first signal, then I got some random things by the older trees. I have no idea why there would be gutter nails so far away from the house. I don't believe gutter nails were used until the 20th century, and this is where there is a 19th century harness shop I was looking for. I'll get back there but I included the random things/junk dug. The jagged piece is cast but it's not iron so I have no idea from the shape. Same with the piece that is like a hook. The copper washer most likely is for the break line screw at the caliper. The button like piece is odd to me. It looks like the hole in the center is correct size for a snap type button, but having replaced those on taneau cover and other places I can assure you it is not part of a snap button.
    Name:  All trash.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  124.0 KBName:  Wheat reverse patina.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  66.5 KBName:  1925 Wheat front.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  93.2 KBName:  Odd Items.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  64.7 KBName:  Cast piece, copper washer, piece.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  74.2 KB
    A week or so ago when it was nice weather on a Sat I got out to a farm area. I was digging up a bunch of trash but along the road I got a '44 wheat. I'll get back there too now that I used the historical arial to see where the building used to be. Let's just say there's a discrepancy with all the other information and at the actual site. Thursday while it actually snowed, I froze a bit while trying to swing. I hit an old farm site but stayed in the front yard. I pulled up a watch gear and a belt end. Seems like it is older because it's crimped. I included a pic of the end view. And a weird pull tab which I have never seen before. Maybe I have to ask Lance what type it is. A cellar hole near by I pulled up a loop. Since it is non-ferrous, I am thinking brass from chandelier chain. And a nearby school I pulled up a small button like piece. Both sides are painted so I am sure its not a button. Maybe it is a plate from a doll house set. The bear is odd too. Possibly a pendant or a xmas tree ornament. It is cast and painted/enameled.
    Name:  Random finds.jpg
Size:  53.8 KBName:  Side+rear views.jpg
Size:  46.6 KB

Saturday was the YTC hunt at a boy scout camp. The camp started 1920 but the scout master I talked with a bit before I left. There used to be 5 or so camps and only 2 remain today. Someone in the group said there was a cellar hole nearby but it was pounded. Someone got a musket ball and another got a no date large cent. There was definitely a lot of clad there and a few silvers. Someone got a franklin half while a few mercs and rosies got dug. The only silver I got was a silver plated fork. The date of the fork I am not sure of the exact date but the company who made it was founded in 1853. They might have also made the lamp parts that others pulled up. I got $3.10 in clad. KPmoose (kev) prob said the kids were having coin fights by their tents. Lol. I managed to snag two wheats, '55 and '56, and a good luck token. I cleaned it up a bit too but I took it out of the peroxide cuz I didn't wanna kill it. At least now there are some letters visible. I owe the ID to a YTC member. They were stamped at fairs with whatever you wanted around the edge and in the center it's supposed to say good luck. The tweezers was an eyeball find in the parking lot as we were ready to leave.
    http://www.thelampworks.com/lw_companies_hb&h.htm
    Name:  Workcoeman Clad.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  61.1 KBName:  Relic finds Workcoeman.jpg
Size:  76.2 KBName:  Plated fork.jpg
Size:  46.4 KBName:  Cleaned Token.jpg
Size:  48.9 KBName:  Good Luck token.jpg
Size:  64.3 KBName:  55+56 Wheat.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  77.7 KB

Sunday I got to a park dating back to before the 1890s. At least the oldest map for the area I could get shows it as a park. There was some work done as there were some sewers added and electric under the benches but some of the trees the roots were still visible. There was only one section I was able to pull a few wheats. I got a '36, '46, and '51. The gf was there trying out her machine but didn't put too much effort into swinging. Maybe I have to get a definite honey hole for her to be more into it. But I give her props. As soon as we were there she found a cheap ring and a bunch of clad right on top of the ground. The ring had some strange words on it. Idk who buys a ring with obscene words, and it was for a woman. Which you can't see, but the top word was Jerk. The bottom one is obscene. I found a button on top of the ground by the trees and not sure the date by the shank. There I got a hollow tip slug there. Apparently the town has more crime than you would think. lol. Arrow does not include "remanufacturing" in it's company name but it is out of Bristol, CT. It was such a let down to see something big come out of the ground, only for it to be a darn power ranger token. gaaahhh... And the only reason for the zincolns were that at the camp, solid pennies were reading lower than usual and at the park the majority were right on the surface and I was trying to clear them out. Plus I got the penny Kev dug when I told him to check it out with his machine to get the VDI number on his new machine.
    Name:  Park Clad.jpg
Size:  50.3 KBName:  Park odds.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  61.0 KBName:  Park Wheats.jpg
Size:  52.4 KBName:  Park relic front.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  57.3 KBName:  Park Relic back.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  53.4 KB
    Last edited by MangoAve; 04-27-2015 at 12:08 PM.

you've been busy Jim , I can honestly say that the first power rangers "pog" I've ever seen ( I'm still undecided if thats a good thing or not ) the button is interesting looking at first sight but hard to tell just what its age is from your pictures .I think you did pretty well at the YTC hunt !
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

You got some nice and interesting finds. Great pictures of them

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    you've been busy the button is interesting looking at first sight but hard to tell just what its age is from your pictures .I think you did pretty well at the YTC hunt !
    I found the button or at least a replica. The hole to shank doesn't look as large as from this listing.
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/1086883...antiqued-brass

There's been no shortage of effort, Dan. Just shortage of benefits of effort. But thanks, I did ok with the hunt. Maybe 50th percentile. Good this is not the GRE's. Lol.

Thanks too Mountain. There's no shortage of interesting finds when I am hunting. Interesting as in odd.

Jim, I just read that your fork Co changed names in 1901. http://www.thelampworks.com/lw_companies_hb&h.htm
    I'd guess your fork is likely 19th century. I wonder if it's a stylistic copy of an even older design, as I've found many pewter spoons in that style from the early 1800s. That token with the star in the middle would be individualized. I remember paying money at the carnival to stamp your name in it. It would be cool to read it and try to find the person. Nice job!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Looks like you were very busy!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Jim, I just read that your fork Co changed names in 1901. I'd guess your fork is likely 19th century. I wonder if it's a stylistic copy of an even older design, as I've found many pewter spoons in that style from the early 1800s.
    Gahh.. Apparently my skim reading missed the part about changing names in 1901. I did notice tho there was a correlation to Scovill with the brass spinning. Did the pewter spoons have the end like the dracula hair...or however to describe it? Those tongs are long on my fork for some reason compared to the way forks are made today. I am guessing that there were designs that were replicated when the silver plating technique came out. Around CT I believe 1843.

Thanks Drew and Tony. Been trying to get out as much as possible.

The YTC hunt sounded like a success. Must have been a lot of fun
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

No shortage of good targets! I would venture to say the tweezers found in the parking lot were not being used to remove ticks....at least that's not what we used them for way way back in the day
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Thanks for posting. Gosh you have been busy. All of your efforts are going to payoff very soon. Are you going to D.I.N.E.? If so, see ya there.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Even thought I don't know the age I know I have the original style. The last picture is the replica from the site I found. The first pic you can see no casting circles in line with the shank and with the second pic you can see the hole in the shank is smaller on mine. So however old it may be, described as antique, I am confident it is the original versus replicas being sold now.
    Name:  Button back.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  88.7 KBName:  Shank.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  48.0 KB
    Name:  Cumbria button.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  47.4 KB

Lodge, what did they use tweezers for? lol. I sometimes deviate from the norm which is why I get some strange targets. I know exactly what coins ring up as. When at the permission place I kinda went with 'Cellar hole' mentality and dug repeatables versus known target numbers. That's why I got the stange items. At an old town place I was actually a few hundred feet off from the structure and since the area I was at was a park I pulled up 18 cans. I just didnt put the extra effort into determining if each was a can or penny. An explanation why I get the odd items, and by removing surface trash might help odds to get better stuff underneath.

Al, hopefully soon the efforts will pay off. Intending to do a permission spot today after work so we'll see how it pans out. The DINE is 100 acres and there are over 100 people attending. I think I should still go so I might just see u there.