Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Coin Find to Date!!!!

Talking Best Coin Find to Date!!!!

Well....2 weeks after finding my U.S. Belt Buckle I was digging a yard that I thought was built in the 1900 Era, but due to my finds I believe the home dates 1850. So right after I asked permission I started hitting some wheat's and a the innards of a old pocket watch. I then made my way to these two big trees that were probably 120 years old or so, I got a good signal right in the middle of them and pulled a Nice 1873 Semi-Key Date Indian with beautiful green patina! I then had my suspicions of this house and was sure it was older than 1900. I then moved around pulling some more coins and relics and then..... I got a nice but scratchy 70-88 signal on the ATPro. I dug down and lone behold I saw in my hole a Half Dollar. I pulled out my camera and thought it was going to be a Walker or MAYBE a Barber, but no... I pushed off some dirt and saw the beautiful Seated Eagle on the back of the coin and lost my mind!!!!! IT WAS MY FIRST EVER SEATED SILVER AND TURNED OUT TO BE THE GRAND SLAM OF THE SERIES!!!! A 1856 SEATED HALF DOLLAR!!

P.S. I know I put a ding on it, but I don't even know how it happened! I was very easy while digging it. I guess that's what I have to pay for digging it! Its still a beautiful coin though! Just focus on its good angles!
    Attached Images Attached Images              

Wow!! Hole-y cow!!!! That is sharp! Huge congrats on such a great coin, what a surprise! You've been doing really well lately! May I ask what part of PA you are in?
    Detectors: dual wield at-pros, t2
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    oldest US silver- 1832 capped bust dime
    "Swords into plowshares"

That is one really beautiful seated 1/2 dollar. Huge congrats on that and all those keepers
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Wow, you've been on a hot streak lately as Luke said!!! Congrats on the awesome seated half!!!!!
    I <3 colonial relics!

Awesome find Seth. Scratch or not that seated is still an amazing find!!!!!!!
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Quote Originally Posted by RIdirtdigger View Post
    Awesome find Seth. Scratch or not that seated is still an amazing find!!!!!!!
    Thanks Jim!

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    Wow, you've been on a hot streak lately as Luke said!!! Congrats on the awesome seated half!!!!!
    Thanks Isaac! I feel like it will be a great year for you too!

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    That is one really beautiful seated 1/2 dollar. Huge congrats on that and all those keepers
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Pacivilwarluke View Post
    Wow!! Hole-y cow!!!! That is sharp! Huge congrats on such a great coin, what a surprise! You've been doing really well lately! May I ask what part of PA you are in?
    Thanks Luke! Very Happy with this find!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pacivilwarluke View Post
    Thanks Luke! Very Happy with this find!!

Great find!! Congratulations to you.

Elite Member
    That's some amazing finds there. Nice hunt WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

When I first scrolled through your thread at first I thought you were talking about the 1873 Indian Head, because that coin in itself is a great find, and it's in wonderful condition. But then I saw the Seated Half Dollar!

WOW! What a beautiful coin!

Incredible detail on it still.

I really love that last group photo of all your finds. What a great shot that represents why we love this hobby.

HUGE congrats on your spectacular hunt!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Spectacular!

Great finds thanks for sharing!

What an incredible coin...and your first Seated too! Major congrats!
    http://www.youtube.com/c/MrDigger

Minelab Equinox 800, SE Pro
    Oldest coin: 1693 W&M halfpenny
    Oldest silver: 1751 Ferdinand VI Pistareen1 Real
    Oldest US coin: 1787 Mass State Copper
    Oldest US silver: 1821 Capped Bust Dime
    Favorite Find: 1806 Carolus IIII 8 Reales

Congrats on big silver. No rays on the back and no arrows around date. Still got a fair amount of detail. Apparently I like to point out the obvious.

Congratulations on a beautiful coin and a super find
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    I really love that last group photo of all your finds. What a great shot that represents why we love this hobby.
    Me too! Great shot!

And a great hunt! The Seated half is the show stopper for sure. But the IH's and relics round out a great hunt!
    Congrats!
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Yep, most of us can only dream of a seated half
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."