Thread: Awesome time at D.I.N.E. and a short cellar hunt.

Threaded View

Awesome time at D.I.N.E. and a short cellar hunt.

I had an amazing time at D.I.N.E. (Digging in New England), I am so glad I went. It was really great to finally meet and talk with some of the guys on this forum (Thiltzy, HeavyMetalNut, Oxshoe, PacivilwarLuke...). I also saw some familiar faces from YouTube and other places like Howard, Dominique, and some of the Stealth Diggers. I have to give a big thanks to Dave HeavyMetalNut for providing me with duct tape when my detector suffered an accident. Couldn't have continued the hunt without him! Anyway I scored some keepers at DINE. I got an 1883 indian head, 1952 d Washington, 1960 d Washington , two wheats and some relics. Even if I had gotten completely skunked I still would have had a fun time just being around others that are passionate about the hobby. I also got to personally see some awesome finds that came out of the fields. Overall I had some of the most fun I've ever had while detecting.
    I got out very early yesterday morning to do some detecting before a long, hard, day of studying. I had found a potential colonial site doing research the night before and was anxious to check it out. The are has plenty of easy to access and on the maps cellar holes so I was hoping this site might be overlooked. I made my way into the woods until I came to the area that I thought the cellar might be. Lots of stone walls everywhere so I wandered for a bit until I came upon a small depression with rocks inside and outside of it. I had found the cellar! Right near the cellar was the stone lined well (uncovered) so I had high hopes for the place. I was pretty sure this place had only been lightly hit. WRONG!!!! Place was totally pounded, not a single non ferrous signal within sight of the cellar. My friend Isaac had suggested for me to try the former farm fields if the site didn't produce so I took his advice and moved away from the cellar. As soon as I get past the stone wall I turn my detector back on and walk about 5 feet and get a slamming 87-89 signal about 3-5 inches down. I dig my hole and I pull out a copper. Looks like a CT copper to me but I don't know what variety or type it is. That turned out to be my only non-ferrous target from the site. I'm sure there's more in the other former fields but the signals will likely be very sparse. Overall despite only finding one thing, I considered my day a success
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6063.jpg 
Views:	492 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	47570Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6066.jpg 
Views:	520 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	47571Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6068.jpg 
Views:	487 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	47572Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8944.jpg 
Views:	495 
Size:	148.5 KB 
ID:	47568Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8948.jpg 
Views:	530 
Size:	149.7 KB 
ID:	47569Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8872.jpg 
Views:	500 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	47567
    Last edited by RIdirtdigger; 05-07-2015 at 04:52 PM.
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button