Thread: Awesome time at D.I.N.E. and a short cellar hunt.

Awesome time at D.I.N.E. and a short cellar hunt.

I had an amazing time at D.I.N.E. (Digging in New England), I am so glad I went. It was really great to finally meet and talk with some of the guys on this forum (Thiltzy, HeavyMetalNut, Oxshoe, PacivilwarLuke...). I also saw some familiar faces from YouTube and other places like Howard, Dominique, and some of the Stealth Diggers. I have to give a big thanks to Dave HeavyMetalNut for providing me with duct tape when my detector suffered an accident. Couldn't have continued the hunt without him! Anyway I scored some keepers at DINE. I got an 1883 indian head, 1952 d Washington, 1960 d Washington , two wheats and some relics. Even if I had gotten completely skunked I still would have had a fun time just being around others that are passionate about the hobby. I also got to personally see some awesome finds that came out of the fields. Overall I had some of the most fun I've ever had while detecting.
    I got out very early yesterday morning to do some detecting before a long, hard, day of studying. I had found a potential colonial site doing research the night before and was anxious to check it out. The are has plenty of easy to access and on the maps cellar holes so I was hoping this site might be overlooked. I made my way into the woods until I came to the area that I thought the cellar might be. Lots of stone walls everywhere so I wandered for a bit until I came upon a small depression with rocks inside and outside of it. I had found the cellar! Right near the cellar was the stone lined well (uncovered) so I had high hopes for the place. I was pretty sure this place had only been lightly hit. WRONG!!!! Place was totally pounded, not a single non ferrous signal within sight of the cellar. My friend Isaac had suggested for me to try the former farm fields if the site didn't produce so I took his advice and moved away from the cellar. As soon as I get past the stone wall I turn my detector back on and walk about 5 feet and get a slamming 87-89 signal about 3-5 inches down. I dig my hole and I pull out a copper. Looks like a CT copper to me but I don't know what variety or type it is. That turned out to be my only non-ferrous target from the site. I'm sure there's more in the other former fields but the signals will likely be very sparse. Overall despite only finding one thing, I considered my day a success
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6063.jpg 
Views:	486 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	47570Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6066.jpg 
Views:	514 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	47571Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6068.jpg 
Views:	480 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	47572Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8944.jpg 
Views:	488 
Size:	148.5 KB 
ID:	47568Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8948.jpg 
Views:	525 
Size:	149.7 KB 
ID:	47569Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8872.jpg 
Views:	494 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	47567
    Last edited by RIdirtdigger; 05-07-2015 at 04:52 PM.
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Sorry about the bottom three pictures being upside down, those were taken with my phone and they always do that when I upload them on AD.
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

I was going to ask....is it hard to detect with your detector above your head....

Nice going on the copper.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Yep, I agree with Isaac, we have to determine how pounded the site is and sometimes work away from the hole. It sometimes gets very quiet out there... but there are areas where you still hear lots of iron, knoll tops, openings in walls, that's where I slow down. Also, how much spongy-ness is in the ground...spongy=bad Those are some quality finds! Congrats!!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Yep, I agree with Isaac, we have to determine how pounded the site is and sometimes work away from the hole. It sometimes gets very quiet out there... but there are areas where you still hear lots of iron, knoll tops, openings in walls, that's where I slow down. Also, how much spongy-ness is in the ground...spongy=bad Those are some quality finds! Congrats!!
    thanks! I'm just curious what exactly do you mean by "sponginess"?

I seldom find things where there is "give" under my feet....like in a pine forest, where the needles accumulate.
    Also, I avoid fields with many large boulders, like 10 feet apart. I never find stuff in those fields...I have no idea why.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    I seldom find things where there is "give" under my feet....like in a pine forest, where the needles accumulate.
    Also, I avoid fields with many large boulders, like 10 feet apart. I never find stuff in those fields...I have no idea why.
    I don't have much luck with the Boulder fields either probably cause there weren't good for farming. I've found a few good things in areas with lots of pine needles (though not as much as other places) but most of the targets are extremely deep in those conditions and don't give great signals at all.

It was great to meet you at the DINE hunt. Sorry about the detector braking for the 2nd time. I would ask for a new one. It must be under warranty?
    Congrats on the CT copper, great find!
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee

Had a great time also. Nice dig after for you.
    Dig Colonial or Go Home

Personal Website www.cttodd.com

congrats on the finds James , Dave still carrying the duct tape around . I remember a funny story with him and duct tape one time , he carries almost everything when he goes out detecting.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Thanks everyone, I will be sending it back to Garrett soon

Nice finds. You are right- great day at D.I.N.E, finds or not. Here's your 3 pics right side up. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  122.5 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  126.5 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  132.3 KB

Sweet finds m8
    I <3 colonial relics!

Quote Originally Posted by kpmoose View Post
    Nice finds. You are right- great day at D.I.N.E, finds or not. Here's your 3 pics right side up. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  122.5 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  126.5 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  132.3 KB
    Thanks!!! How did you get pictures right side up?

looks like a pretty early site !
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by RIdirtdigger View Post
    Thanks!!! How did you get pictures right side up?
    PhotoForge2 app on the iPad. You can edit images & save to camera roll.

I'd still call it a success even if only one copper comes out of the site. Are those silvers in the first pic, or just regular eagles? You don't ever use a computer to do your thread posting? I think I did once from my phone and the spelling was horrible despite the autocorrect feature...and because the accuracy of the touch sensor in the screen. Plus the pop-up windows for the uploader arent the best on a smart phone. Kev told you about the iPad, but I have the S4 and there is photo editing where you can rotate and add effects and what not. Or on the comp I use the MS photoviewer after pulling images off the phone which I can correct the colors.

Drew, that is a bit informative. Altho the area where I went to the recent cellar holes is in a mountainous/rocky area where farming was hard, I didn't see many boulders. Just big hills. Pines shed more needles it seems and they don't blow around like leaves. That's prob why the layers pile up at a faster rate there. I will have to pay attention more with the give in the ground. I knew about focusing around the entry ways in rock walls which is where I found that toasted copper.... before suffering the wrath of that woman you knew . But I have to try to find the areas with the iron near but not next to the cellar holes from now on if I see a 'pounded' site, altho I know one will be difficult. One particular place I it's just a flat area at the corner of a hill, enough for a house and a 'driveway'.

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    I'd still call it a success even if only one copper comes out of the site. Are those silvers in the first pic, or just regular eagles? You don't ever use a computer to do your thread posting? I think I did once from my phone and the spelling was horrible despite the autocorrect feature...and because the accuracy of the touch sensor in the screen. Plus the pop-up windows for the uploader arent the best on a smart phone. Kev told you about the iPad, but I have the S4 and there is photo editing where you can rotate and add effects and what not. Or on the comp I use the MS photoviewer after pulling images off the phone which I can correct the colors.

Drew, that is a bit informative. Altho the area where I went to the recent cellar holes is in a mountainous/rocky area where farming was hard, I didn't see many boulders. Just big hills. Pines shed more needles it seems and they don't blow around like leaves. That's prob why the layers pile up at a faster rate there. I will have to pay attention more with the give in the ground. I knew about focusing around the entry ways in rock walls which is where I found that toasted copper.... before suffering the wrath of that woman you knew . But I have to try to find the areas with the iron near but not next to the cellar holes from now on if I see a 'pounded' site, altho I know one will be difficult. One particular place I it's just a flat area at the corner of a hill, enough for a house and a 'driveway'.
    I posted from the computer. I actually uploaded my photos from my iPhone into the computer and then posted them but they still came out upsides own. Idk lol. And yes the two quarters are silver just a little tarnished. I agree I had a good hunt at the pounded cellar despite finding only one thing. Thanks for replying.

What a wonderful story, sounds like you had a great time nice copper too!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album