Thread: Shootout at the MD Corral

Shootout at the MD Corral

I was detecting a park in Evansville IN today during one of my travels. It was a nice little park in a neighborhood from the 30s or 40s and I had some high hopes. After being there for a short while I started to notice Police officers in the area. Pretty soon there were a LOT of officers and they had arrested a group of young men that I had detected nearby. As I was leaving the park I approached one of the officers to ask what was going on. It turns out that he was standing over a gun on the ground and said something about a shooting and that it might not be safe in the area. That was my cue to call it a day.
    This is the second time that I have got into less than safe positions in parks during may travels. I might have to stop detecting on the road. The Police handled the situation fantastically. No one was hurt and I noticed one officer who had strategically placed himself between the young men and a group of children by the swings during the operation. Salute to our men in Blue.
    I hope that you all had better luck hunting today than I did.

Happy Hunting
    Ron
    Whites VX3 with Sunray Probe, 10x12 SEF, 8x6 SEF, 10dd, 6x10Eclipse, 4x6 Eclipse, Lesche digger and Garrett Pro Pointer.

A day like that would get this old heart pumping!
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

Thankfully I was pretty oblivious to everything except the increased police presence until everything was said and done. Law enforcement handled the whole affair super efficiently. Those guys don't get enough credit, especially as of late.
    Whites VX3 with Sunray Probe, 10x12 SEF, 8x6 SEF, 10dd, 6x10Eclipse, 4x6 Eclipse, Lesche digger and Garrett Pro Pointer.

We need to be grateful to all of those in the blue. Sad when a detectorist can't feel safe enjoying his hobby. Glad all went well with you.

Looks like you dodged a bullet there Ron. Sorry, couldn't help myself.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    I see what you did there!!
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Ha Ha. Yeah I sure did. But my day detecting was "shot".

I'm glad it worked out like it did. I haven't had anything like that happen yet, but I think about it. One of the parks I hunt is a popular drop-off for the elementary school bus. Around 4:15 the bus pulls up, lets about 20 kids off and pulls away. Most of the kids walk through the park to their homes, but some hang around and play on the playground equipment. Of course there is always a curious kid that will ask "what are you doing", so you tell them and they follow you around like the Pied Piper. I fear that someday some parent might take me for something other than an old man digging for pull-tabs and bottle caps. I do know the police and they know why I'm there, but just sayin'.
    Garrett AT Pro - Garrett Pro Pointer - 5x8 DD Coil - Understanding Wife

Oldest Coin:1930 Wheat Penny
    Jewelry:10K Man's Wedding Band, 10K Mother's Ring, Stainless Man's Wedding Band, Stainless Batman Ring
    2017 Clad $0.00