Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What I'd Do For a Copper!

What I'd Do For a Copper!

Near me are the remnants of an old bridge that was gone by 1860. I can see from my side of the river that there is an old colonial road heading up into the woods from where the bridge was. I always wanted to detect that old road and see if it led to a hole. Well, today the stars lined up!
    The property just became public and last week we bought a couple of kayaks. So I loaded up the boat and detector gear. I made it across without incident. I started detecting up the road then came to a place with a crab apple tree and a 200 yr old oak I hear iron everywhere!! Bam- rosette, saddle badge, then KG2!!...then some more period items. I spent an hour there. Now I head back down the colonial road to my waiting kayak. I put the boat in the water, load my gear, carefully sit in it. The next thing I knew I was in the water over my head The first thing I did was catch my glasses, then I remember thinking that the water wasn't that cold Somehow I didn't lose anything but MY PHONE DOESN'T WORK...AND NEITHER DOES MY DETECTOR!!
    Anyone have tips on wet phones and detectors??
    Also, can anyone see the date on that KG?
    1730, 1739? Thanks!
    PS those wheats and silver looking thing are from a park the other day.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by OxShoeDrew; 05-25-2015 at 04:57 PM.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Nice finds. Sorry to hear about your detector and phone. I can't give any advice about the detector but I do know that putting it in rice helps. My previous iPhone was in salt water for over 4 hours and still came back to life after sitting in rice for a week. Of course I had already considered it destroyed and already had purchased a new iPhone. Hope you can get your equipment back working. At least you got some good finds!
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

sorry to hear about your phone and especially your detector Drew . The George is most likely a 39 these were a very popular or abundant minted year , very few if any 1730 have been seen or found (I've never seen a 30 in the 15 years I've been digging coppers) . I've heard the uncooked rice treatment for phones too.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Bummer Drew! I saw where the dry rice treatment worked on a wet Deus controller after some kid put it through the wash. Give it a shot!

Sweet lookin' KG
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Congrats on the great area you found Drew! Sorry about the gear.

If you're handy, try splitting the cases on the phone & detector to allow the liquid a better chance to get out completely. Then leave them in a sunny and warm spot to dry out. A small fan can help too. Hopefully you pulled the batteries on both ASAP.
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

Thank you guys, yeah I pulled the batts out of the detector but the phone's batt cannot be pulled. I have a second detector so I can keep detecting....but I don't want to put it in that darn Titanic. I can't believe how easily those things tip I can access the site from dry land but it's a half-mile walk over a ridge. I'll just have to suck it up or brave the deep again.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Nice copper, Drew. Idk.. blown up pic makes it look more like 1728. Theres only been once trying to get to a spot via kayak. The only bad thing was the current on the way back. We had to pull them out, up a hill, drag them across the island, then carefully lower them down the hill on the other side of the island, and still paddle back. Sorry you took a spill tho. It's only funny when it happens to someone else. Why can't the phone's battery be pulled? Unless you are weilding a dinosaur there with no cover. My brother had a Motorola that went through a snowblower, sat the winter in the snow until it melted, and it still worked after it dried out. He had one go in a pool too and it worked ok afterward. Sometimes rinsing the CB with distilled water before it dries will make sure the long run nothing happens to the board when it dries, if you are willing to pull the board from the machine. Or at least as far as it goes to the ends of the battery terminals. Crash units are usually kept in the type of water they went into until they are worked on. Oh yeah, looks like you got really short hair now.

Nice copper and that's a bummer about your gear.
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Oh man!! super sorry about your gear, like Jim said rice might work. On the flip side, sweet copper! That's in really nice shape, I cnat really tell the date from here! HH!
    Detectors: dual wield at-pros, t2
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    oldest US silver- 1832 capped bust dime
    "Swords into plowshares"

Drew, so sorry to hear about your equipment. On the flip side, love the new location and your finds!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Thanks everyone...Jim, my phone is a Razr M which I thought had a non-changeable batt but I see people online changing them.
    I'll try turning it on in a few days, or maybe I'll just use my upgrade. I'm glad someone noticed my hair cut
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Drew, you are definitely the trooper....Anyone have tips on wet phones and detectors??
    Also, can anyone see the date on that KG?

I can see asking about the phone and detector...but to follow it up with asking the date on the KG....priceless.

Summer is almost here and am looking forward to getting together with you.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Quote Originally Posted by The Rebel View Post
    Drew, so sorry to hear about your equipment. On the flip side, love the new location and your finds!
    "On the flip side". Hahahaha. Sorry Drew. I couldn't help laughing at that one. Hope your equipment dries out ok.
    Last edited by Ronandari; 05-26-2015 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Added text
    Whites VX3 with Sunray Probe, 10x12 SEF, 8x6 SEF, 10dd, 6x10Eclipse, 4x6 Eclipse, Lesche digger and Garrett Pro Pointer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronandari View Post
    "On the flip side". Hahahaha. Sorry Drew. I couldn't help laughing at that one. Hope your equipment dries out ok.
    I didn't catch that at all!! Thanks guys, yeah Al...a few weeks until summer vactation!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Hi Drew, that is a beautiful copper!

I have a lot of advice to give based on personal experience about wet phones, but unfortunately it's limited only to how they get wet in the first place. I've heard that you can pull the battery and put it in a container of dry white rice for a few days and it might work (didn't work for me). I hope the detector comes back to life!
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    I'll try turning it on in a few days, or maybe I'll just use my upgrade. I'm glad someone noticed my hair cut
    If the phone is at least a year and a half old for you, then yeah, use the upgrade. This phone, if it works when dry, can be a backup that you can put somewhere in case you need an emergency number. I replaced a screen myself on my old Storm 2.
    Drew, at least I notice what matters. Jk I'll invite those on here living close to me to NOT tell the gf, otherwise she might expect me to say something about her hair all the time. No deal.

I can access the site from dry land but it's a half-mile walk over a ridge.
    A whole half mile huh? I have to laugh a little bit. This weekend while camping, we (me, wife and 9 year old daughter ) decided to walk a 1.5 mile trail through the ridges to a nearby pond. At the end, we decided to add another 1 mile connector trail. Then another,,,, then it was too late to turn back and soldiered through the remaining loops. By the time it was over, we had hiked the ridges for 9 miles. My legs and feet are still sore. I noticed several old foundations along the hike,, but never did work up the energy to go back with a detector.

All joking aside,,, nice write up and great finds!!
    Primary machine= Teknetics T2

2016 Totals
    Oldest Coin= 1920 Wheat Cent
    Silver Coins= 0
    Rings= 1

Wow, 9 yr old made it 9 miles!? Better than me Those holes might be sweet if they're miles deep.... eeeeh, probably pounded
    Now my pinpointer doesn't work!!! My detector still doesn't show signs of life, but I used my upgrade to get the same exact phone I bought 3 yrs ago Thanks everyone for kind comments!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

I didn't catch that at all!! Thanks guys, yeah Al...a few weeks until summer vactation!
    Wasn't what I intended to say, just a bad choice of words
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Wow, 9 yr old made it 9 miles!?
    And believe it or not, she never complained. Couldn't have been prouder! My household had become quite lazy over the last few years,, plain couch potatoes I tell ya. We've spent the last few months trying to be more active, and providing a better example for her. The 9 mile hike was a milestone for us, but we also realized we pushed our limits pretty hard on that one. We were darned grateful it wasn't 10 miles.

The next day, her and her Mom did a 3.5 mile hike, on a 1.5 mile loop ( wrong turn in Albequerque ). I'm still having fun with that one.
    Primary machine= Teknetics T2

2016 Totals
    Oldest Coin= 1920 Wheat Cent
    Silver Coins= 0
    Rings= 1