Thread: Need Some Help, Is it a buckle ? or what!!

Need Some Help, Is it a buckle ? or what!!

I went out today and got in a short hunt in between rain storms. I dug this at about 9" at an 1890s home.
    My first thought was that it some kind of buckle, but I really have no idea. DO YOU?
    Thanks for looking
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

I think you may have a good find there. It may be a British sword belt buckle and could date to the late 1700s. Or, it could be a ladies sash buckle from the late 1800s. Or, it could be a civil war period blockade buckle made in England. There would be a mirror image lion on the other end of the snake to make it complete. Do a search for British Lion Head sword belt buckles and you will see what I mean.
    My wife does all the driving, I just hold the steering wheel!

Quote Originally Posted by fyrffytr1 View Post
    I think you may have a good find there. It may be a British sword belt buckle and could date to the late 1700s. Or, it could be a civil war period blockade buckle made in England. There would be a mirror image lion on the other end of the snake to make it complete. Do a search for British Lion Head sword belt buckles and you will see what I mean.
    I agree it could very well be a civil war period blockade buckle made in England , the question is is it authentic or a reproduction . a very interesting and cool buckle regardless . I'll give it a real good look tomorrow morning when I get home from work Don.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

I'd agree too. Hanover Brass make reproductions, but the buckle loop is a bit larger and the lion isn't identical. It is the one that I saw, however, having the shape of the lion mane as the edge. The majority of others I saw were lions inside an oval.

Thanks for the info guys. I wish I could have found the other half

Silver 4

I can't find an exact match anywhere so my questions are these ...

unless its gold gilted or plated why would it be shiny in places , old brass patinas (turns green) very evenly and every similar piece I've seen are natural brass (no plating) . where was this piece found Don , in a park , school , yard ??
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    I can't find an exact match anywhere so my questions are these ...

unless its gold gilted or plated why would it be shiny in places , old brass patinas (turns green) very evenly and every similar piece I've seen are natural brass (no plating) . where was this piece found Don , in a park , school , yard ??
    I dug it at an 1890s home in an old river town. It was in the side yard about 9" deep. Here are a few more photos.
    Maybe they will help. I did try cleaning it with a stiff sponge when I first got home with it..Name:  lion head 003.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  63.8 KBName:  lion head 005.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  80.5 KBName:  lion head 006.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  65.4 KBName:  lion head 007.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  50.8 KBName:  lion head 008.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  55.4 KBName:  lion head 009.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  56.5 KB
    Last edited by Digger Don; 05-27-2015 at 05:14 PM.

Silver 4

Very interesting piece! I'm more familiar with the buckles that are just the snake ( most I see are found at civil war sites) , without the lions but I've seen a few of these. Yours looks to have traces of gilt, and in good shape! I'd have to agree with the general consensus, it's a belt buckle ( probably British made) but dating it will be difficult. These were popular for hundreds of years, so unless they are found in relation to other dateable artifacts it is difficult to determine the true age. I'm not sure of your area's history either, but it could be very old and have no relation to the house. Really nice find!
    Detectors: dual wield at-pros, t2
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    oldest US silver- 1832 capped bust dime
    "Swords into plowshares"

Don I would say that buckle is authentic if not then some one can correct me its casting is rough and the detail is very prominent, i don't know but I would put it in a shadow box, would make a nice piece for a mantle or showcase . Put it lemon juice with a little water and keep an eye on it for to much lemon juice will eat the gilt of it. Just make sure if you chose to clean it this way to add a bit of water.

I have seen the snake portion as it was used by both Union and Confederate Troops during the US Civil War. The British used the 'Snake Buckle' for many years. It could date back to the US Revolution. I have never seen the Lionhead used with the Snake Buckle, but there again most of my finds are US Civil War and War of 1812 to the Present day. Congrats on the find as I would consider it as Military in any case.
    Dave
    'Digger-Dave'
    THing4CSA
    PS: Remember; Don't leave it in the ground!

Oldest US Copper coin: 1798 Large Cent
    Oldest US Silver Coin: 1835 Bust Half Dime
    Oldest US Gold Coin: 1854 One Dollar, Type I
    Oldest Coin: Dateless Roman copper about the size of a US Half Dollar
    Best Relic find: US Civil War Belt Buckles (2)