Thread: The Day After

The Day After

Last weekend I met up with Daddydigger, DiggerDon & DiggerAl and, Tony Two-Cent for a all day group hunt.
    If you haven't seen that thread Check it out here.http://www.americandetectorist.com/f...t-Diggers-quot

The day after since I was still down in southern Illinois and had some free time, my wife's aunt suggested I go check out her sisters house. She said it's pretty old. And there is even a rumor that the old timer that once lived in their house had hide a container full of gold and silver coins on the property! Whoa! OK! Sounds like a good spot! There was rain in the forecast but as I headed out the skies were blue and sunny. So I made the 25 minute drive over, met up with Tina and her husband, got the story on the supposed buried booty, and started swinging. It didn't take too long and I found some wheaties in the side yard. Made a quick past through the front yard nabbed a couple more wheats, and started to pick up more wheats on the other side yard. About then the sky turned dark and the wind picked up and it started to sprinkle. I was getting another wheat signal at the base of the BIG maple tree when the skys opened up and it started to pour! So I ran to my truck. I could see clear skies behind the storm so I ran down to the gas station, got a little snack and something cold to drink. By the time I came out of the gas station it had already stopped raining. So I went back, went back to the big maple and finished retrieving the wheatie I started on. As I made my way around the tree I got another wheatie signal, this time a bit deeper. Dug down and out pops a Merc! Just a couple more steps I get yet another wheat signal, dug it up. Stand up and another about 2 inches over. Dug it up. Stand up and rechecked and another, and another, and another. I got into a wheaties hot spot that produced (didn't really count) about 8 or 10 wheaties! I had about six holes dug in a 4'x4' area! Then the rain came back then stopped. And this went on for about 2 more hours. So I just ran back and forth to the truck. When it pasted I'd just get back out and start off were I left off.
    While one of my timeout I seen something I've never seen before. This white bird flew down onto the sidewalk right in front of my truck. It's body shape looked just like a robin. So I snapped a quick picture of it just before it flew off. It seams I seen my first albino robin!

After that return my first signal was a screaming 1-47! So I popped the plug and there in the bottom of the hole was a tiny little ring. I was thinking "There's no was this little thing gave that signal." Stuck the pinpointer in the hole and it started screaming off to the left. I dug into the side and popped out a chunk of dirt and a big silver disk pops out with it!
    The most worn out Walker half I've ever seen. It's a no date.

Rains came and went for a couple of hours so I'd just run back and forth to my truck and wait out the showers. It seemed like after spotting the albino robin things changed... after I'd get back out and start to again I'd get a silver dime!
    It turned out to be a cool little hunt! The last signal I got as I was heading to my truck to leave was another screaming 2-47! Thinking I might have another half turned out to be a big token from Burger Chef, celebrating their 1000th store opening. ( Never heard of them. )

Here's the pile of goodies I took on the tailgate of my truck after the hunt. Must of got a smudge on the lens.

Here's a better look:

Memorial day Monday on the way home I drove trough a small town with a good looking park right on the main drag soooo of course I had to stop! The first signal out of the truck was a deep 1916 wheat! I said "That's a good sign!"

I spent about 3 hours there. I ended up getting 7 more wheats and a 1912 Barber dime.

Then started my 3 hour drive home. I'll have to remember that place for when I go back down to visit the family.

Thanks for lookin' & HH
    Last edited by Ill Digger; 05-30-2015 at 05:16 PM. Reason: 1000th not 100th
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Wow Tim, You ended up having a banner weekend.
    You got all that and the guys buried treasure is still there.
    Worn or not, great job digging the Walker.
    Really?? you never heard of burger chef?? Man, they used to make awesome milk shakes when I was a kid.
    Congrats on all your finds my friend. Great Job
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

GREAT finds Tim! I have never seen such a worn walker. Maybe a 1917? The bird is interesting. Never seen an albino robin before. Take care and HH, Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Sounds like an interesting afternoon. I've been dodging rain storms for over a month here in East Texas. I only wish my finds were anywhere as good as yours. Congratulations. Thanks for sharing.
    Garrett AT Pro - Garrett Pro Pointer - 5x8 DD Coil - Understanding Wife

Oldest Coin:1930 Wheat Penny
    Jewelry:10K Man's Wedding Band, 10K Mother's Ring, Stainless Man's Wedding Band, Stainless Batman Ring
    2017 Clad $0.00

Awesome variety of finds!
    Primary machine= Teknetics T2

2016 Totals
    Oldest Coin= 1920 Wheat Cent
    Silver Coins= 0
    Rings= 1

Quote Originally Posted by Digger Don View Post
    Wow Tim, You ended up having a banner weekend.
    You got all that and the guys buried treasure is still there.
    Worn or not, great job digging the Walker.
    Really?? you never heard of burger chef?? Man, they used to make awesome milk shakes when I was a kid.
    Congrats on all your finds my friend. Great Job
    Thanks Don!
    Yeah, the "buried treasure" is still there (supposedly) Maybe I'll get a chance to get back down there and get another chance to find it.
    I did a little looking around after you saying you couldn't beleive I'd never heard of Burger Chef. It turns out that I have had Burger Chef in some way.... they were bought out by Hardees! Had plenty of those!

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger View Post
    GREAT finds Tim! I have never seen such a worn walker. Maybe a 1917? The bird is interesting. Never seen an albino robin before. Take care and HH, Dave.
    Thanks Dave! I can't make out even a slight resemblance of a date on the Walker. It's just like a slick SLQ. I mean NOTHING!
    I never seen a albino robin either. It was pretty cool!

Quote Originally Posted by mownomo View Post
    Sounds like an interesting afternoon. I've been dodging rain storms for over a month here in East Texas. I only wish my finds were anywhere as good as yours. Congratulations. Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks! You just never know when that next goodie is gonna pop up. GL & HH

Quote Originally Posted by GA1dad View Post
    Awesome variety of finds!
    Thanks!

You had an incredible weekend of detecting, Tim! The start-and-stop method of detecting really worked well for you!

I love that Walker. Like Dave said, I bet it's an early one. It's always nice to get a Barber Dime too!

That bird is really interesting, I've never seen one like it. From the photo it doesn't look like it's all white, it looks kind of piebald. If you do a Google image search for "piebald robin" you will see some just like it. Very cool!

Congrats on all of your finds. You had some great success!

Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Thanks Tony!
    Yeah, I can't complain about a weekend of hunting like that! I'll take those all day long! Or should I say weekend long?
    I never did look up a piebald robin. Just albino robin and seen one that looked identical to the one I seen. But I can see the piebald aspect to it.
    Good call

Note: I just Goggled "piebald robin" and the ones I seen on Google all seemed to have some orange to them. The one I seen didn't seem to have any orange to it, none that I seen anyways. Either way, it was just cool to see!

Elite Member
    I actually foun a Walker once with no date as well. Most of the time they look pretty good. Must of been someone's good luck piece but the "good luck" wore out. great finds WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Real nice digs! My first thought was that was a mockingbird but I believe your are right! Very cool sighting.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Great weekend of hunting. Love all your silvers and getting a wheatie hot spot...priceless. The toys are cool also.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album