Thread: Indian Head

Indian Head

Got my first Indian Head and oldest coin today. Pretty toasty so dating definitely not happening. Was wondering if the was any way to make it look a little better. My oldest til today/Yesterday now, was 1917 wheatie.Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1433310441258.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  83.8 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1433310457787.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  72.4 KB

ALDEEZ

Congrats on your first Indian Head and your oldest coin!

To be perfectly honest, I have found Indian Heads that look like that one and there usually isn't anything that can be done to make them look better. The only thing I can think of that might work is electrolysis.

At least you know that it is at least 106 years old.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Good for you,,,, and 1800's Indian Head is next on my list of wants.
    Primary machine= Teknetics T2

2016 Totals
    Oldest Coin= 1920 Wheat Cent
    Silver Coins= 0
    Rings= 1

Congrats on getting your first IHC. Yes it is very toasty. You can't clean it to make it look any better but here is what I have done. Get the finest grit sandpaper you can. I'm talking 600 or better. Then very gently sand off some of the bumps down to the high points of the coin. You will be able to make out some of the details better.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

to me the Indian looks like a "fat" one 1859-64 because of the reddish exposed metal coloration . there are a few methods to get the green verdigris off but it would also strip off most of the nice patina , as others have said its in rough condition and even "cleaned" it would have a very worn or vague details at best.

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Post a picture of the side of it and we can narrow the date down for you!

I agree with Tony. Electrolysis will clean it up. Afterwards coat it with olive oil to help put moisture back in it. Show us your results.

Congrats. Worn or not, it's still a great find. I sometimes give them a hot peroxide bath. That will at least get rid of the embedded dirt.
    Good luck.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos