Thread: A buckle kind of weekend and some 1800s relix.

A buckle kind of weekend and some 1800s relix.

I depleted my energy both days this weekend...but, the last time I was out was a short hunt on Memorial weekend so I was in MD withdrawals. Later saturday I went out to an area where I have a bunch of cellar holes to hit. Throughout my different hunts there this year it seems certain holes are hit more than others. In general the ones deeper in the woods are less touched, but there is an exception.

A few weeks back I did hit an area I have to research a bit further. I'm including in this thread. There were some really small foundations like 3 ft wide over near a corner of a lot. One map shows the house in one spot, a different map shows it in another spot. And a different area there is supposed to be another hole. I only found two lot marker stones. Near the small foundations I pulled up a soap tin. Nothing exceptional but definitley a rarity. It still opens up.
    Name:  Soap Tin.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  115.7 KBName:  Open Soap Tin.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  76.3 KB

Saturday I just used my keen direction skills and cut through the woods to the one hole I hit that day. One end of the old road now goes through a person's yard which is why I had to come from another road and cut over. I could have walked 5 miles if I bothered to follow the road in almost a loop. There were a bit of targets there and it was quite an odd site to me. It wasn't quite at the bottom of a hill but it was almost at the bottom. Usually homes were built on the higher ground. Also it seemed like there was a trench on one side of the road down the hill, which cut over the road, then went to be almost like a small reservior. That is my guess what it was, but it looks like the deeper trench side was wedge shaped and 120 ft long with hills on both sides. There were no rocks at the large end for it to be a dam, however. Around the back side of this strange formation there was a huge 40 ft barn built into the side of the hill. Just down below there was another smaller barn. They were hidden spots even tho I saw a milk crate was there. I pulled up the 5th clock gear guide plate from the general area with all these holes. I have no idea why this one area has so many. They sound just like a coin but the size makes them read more shallow than they really are. I pulled a couple buckles by the cellar. The small one with the pointy tabs was right by the foundation mixed with some iron nails. The other was where I presume they kept the wagon, behind the house. Kind of like a modern day driveway. I like these spots because the yard layouts are easier to picture/understand. The way back was grueling however, it was uphill all the way. First the old road was a hill, then where it came to a man made trail, that stretch was up a stone hill. Twice I thought I was gonna have an asthma attack. The brass cap with the scalloped edge is unidentified.
    Name:  Buckles and Lead.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  51.1 KBName:  Buckle and Lead Slug.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  82.9 KBName:  Harmonica Reed.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  57.0 KBName:  Caps and Clock plates.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  87.5 KBName:  Brass Cap Scalloped.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  37.2 KBName:  Hiking Hills.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  76.3 KBName:  Salamander.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  99.5 KB

Sunday I went back up but a different set of holes, completely bypassing the first three I walked by. There was a house next to a cooper shop. I don't think cooper shops had a foundation but some of the boards remained at the site now. Part of the cellar foundation looked washed away. The first thing I pulled was a lantern piece. Then a buckle. Lantern parts are only like a 44 VDI for me, lower than a zincoln. I did scour the spot a little longer but decided to walk further up the old road. I couldn't find the next hole to the right. A ways up the road forked. I didn't try to find the hole there. A further up I saw this path leading away from the road and thought nothing of it. Continued on to the farthest site thinking it was less touched. Completely wrong. I put it into all metal and could only hear a handful of iron away from the hole. Well, there were a few beer cans I saw on the side of the road which should have given a hint. So, I back tracked to the area where the path was. I came to corner of a rock wall. I tried both sides to see if there was some iron. That lead me to a hole right by the path. It was a pretty big hole with a center chimney set a ways back from the road. I pulled up a chainsaw blade right next to the hole. I worked away from the hole toward these other depressions. One looked like a double hole which I assume wasn't a barn. Part of it was a foundation with an entry way. Then there was another area with some depressions. Multiple structures existed there. There had been someone detecting there within the past 13 months but apparently they missed a nice piece. It looks like a large two piece button. The back appears to still have a shank folded over. Back up at the hole I pulled out some sort of tube. Possibly a lipstick tube. It's brass and has a parttern to it and it's flattened now.
    And for those pics.
    Name:  Lantern Part.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  70.6 KBName:  Buckle.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  59.5 KBName:  Folded Brass Tube.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  69.7 KBName:  Two Piece Button.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  68.9 KBName:  Button Folded Shank.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  83.7 KBName:  Turtle.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  150.2 KB

Awesome pictures,, great hunt,, thanks for sharing@
    Primary machine= Teknetics T2

2016 Totals
    Oldest Coin= 1920 Wheat Cent
    Silver Coins= 0
    Rings= 1

Nice digs there Mango. Nice looking site! I see Ms. Snapping Turtle was out looking for a sandy spot to lay her eggs. Maybe the newt was too. Anyway, sounds like there are a lot of spots in the area worth paying attention to.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

your due for a coin or two Jim , the button is an unusual one but i like it !
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Lovely button and definitely a promising site.
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Nice looking site! I see Ms. Snapping Turtle was out looking for a sandy spot to lay her eggs. Maybe the newt was too. Anyway, sounds like there are a lot of spots in the area worth paying attention to.
    I did have a pic of the center chimney hole but it was blurry. There are a ridic amount of holes in the area and the fact how I been pulling up a lot of repeatables It can't be hit hard. We're talking 4-5 old roads having about 20+ cellar holes on them. As far as an 'attack plan' I think it's best now to handle one spot at a time. If one hole isn't producing I move on. But I did kinda the opposite this past hunt...the site was producing a few things right away and I moved to a spot which was worse. Since I know which holes, out of the ones I made it to, have better finds, I can focus more on those. Now that I have a machete for the one with overgrown barberries.

The turtle was a suprise. It was on a hill of a road and the water near where I first found it was only a brook. It moved quite a ways down the road by the time I went back to the car and there was a small stagnant area of water there (plus a pounded cellar on the corner of a hill). Idk what time of year they lay eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    you're due for a coin or two Jim , the button is an unusual one but i like it !
    Dan, yeah..that button is quite unusual. It reminds me of the one Dave pulled up last season which looked to me like a sombrero. I am wondering to clean it a bit to get a better pic..but the back is iron and the front might be brass. Lemon or peroxide will work for the front but might take away from the rust on the back.

AND I'd say I am quite overdue for a coin. Reference in the reply to Jeff... with so many cellar holes in the area and pulling up those clock gear plates with really high tones... and how many relics were pulled.. It's amazing how I haven't yet. It's just odd tho that the majority of every repeatable I get is between 30 and 78. Those can lids, lantern parts, buckles, harmonica reed, lead slug, everyone reads lower than a copper penny. Even guessing the site was cherry picked doesn't make sense. Just gonna have to keep at it. Not sure if I wanna re-prioritize and hit some of the permissions I do already have. There's an immaculate 1719 I want to get permission at. The trees in that yard look like redwoods. I just have to get the owner to answer the door. ( I only tried one time tho which someone was definitely home).

Super nice button. I like the soap tin too; I've never found one.
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

Hey Jim...I bet if you clean up that small buckle it will have writing on it...all of mine do....and one has a date of 1854 on it. Nice going!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Hey Jim...I bet if you clean up that small buckle it will have writing on it...all of mine do....and one has a date of 1854 on it. Nice going!
    Which one? The small D buckle or the two hole? The two hole and "chappe style" look like I might need electrolysis to clean up if u are referring to those.

Third pic down on the right. I think it is a trouser tightener.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Nice post Jim. As Dan stated you are definitely due for a nice old coin. That picture of the road and in the background showing it cutting thru the next ridge is cool. Bet you didn't run into anybody out there.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Third pic down on the right. I think it is a trouser tightener.
    How'd you clean yours? It seriously looks like it needs electrolysis cuz it's crusty like iron. And, I thought mine was part of a shoe, guess now I know.

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    Nice post Jim. As Dan stated you are definitely due for a nice old coin. That picture of the road and in the background showing it cutting thru the next ridge is cool. Bet you didn't run into anybody out there.
    Actually Al, that isn't the old road. It's more like those service easements.. some have HV lines. I think this one has gas lines cuz there was a white capped pipe just down below and there were some grey service boxes along the old road. The old road is perpendicular to the clear cut where I was standing. I know, it was only me there so you wouldn't have known the layout. Lucky tho the old road wasn't disturbed with the stuff they added. The first set of pix with Eastern Newt/salamander there was no one out there at all. The road where I came from which I tried hitting weeks ago, there was 1 person walking a dog out of the two times I went. The last set of pictures, there was no one when I arrived but when I was leaving I passed like 5 people much closer to the parking area. The mile or two in where I walked to, there was no one.

Neat finds Jim!!! Looks like a very promising site, there's bound to be a coin in there somewhere!
    I <3 colonial relics!

I didn't clean mine Jim because they weren't as crusty. Maybe a brass brush would get to any details??
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew