Thread: Old mill site finds.

Old mill site finds.

Yesterday since a permission didn't go through I decided to hit a public place. There is an old mill site but it is off in the woods and I was hoping no one ever thought to check this site before. There might be some potential here but I will need to bring my machete to cut the small brush. The little ferns and skunk cabbage weren't the problem. The old map shows only one large building. The 1934 aerial there is only a wooded area. I definitely found two buildings, or one foundation and one depression with rocks around it.

Two large gears were unearthed. They look like they are the same type but found in different spots. They are about 9 or 10 inches diameter so they are nothing small. The notable finds were an old fishing reel or that's what it looks like, and the old style metal container for milk that looks like the large coffee pots typical of an old diner. There was also a fork I pulled up which I am hoping someone knows a lot about silverware. It read up in the silver range. I already tested it with a magnet and there is no iron. It is not a stainless steel fork. I am wondering if it is silver. All I got on the back is the letter B which is stamped into the metal and then the logo which to me looks like a mushroom and an S in the tip. Below that is pat'd...but it is broken there. Any other useful information on the handle is gone somewhere, possibly in the ground still. It might have been a masked signal or just didn't swing over it.

Name:  Large gears.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  58.7 KBName:  old fishin reel.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  36.9 KBName:  Milk container.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  67.1 KBName:  Fork end.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  51.1 KBName:  Magnet for forks.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  57.5 KB

Yes, the fork is silver. Good find. HH, Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

I agree with DaddyDigger, the fork definitely looks like silver! That's a really cool find!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger View Post
    Yes, the fork is silver. Good find. HH, Dave.
    Lol.. I needed to look under a scope and turn it the right way. You are right...it is sterling. Once I turned it the right way I could see it is actually a medieval helmet above a shield with an S in the shield. I just can't quite distinguish if it belongs to the International Sterling company or the J.S. Co CW sterling.
    http://www.asyoulikeitsilvershop.com...ionalMarks.jpg

Nice hunk of silver Jim! I hope you can find a maker. I find lots of Oneida Co. cutlery in our area.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Thanks Tony. Odd how further research I can narrow down the manufacture date a bit, but it was after the mill building was gone. Drew, I did find the maker. It must be International Silver which was a collection of silversmiths from New England. The J.S. Co (with the C W for Watrous Manufacturing from Wallingford) was part of the collection. ANNNDDD apparently your Oneida is involved. International sold off the silver plate division in 1981 to Oneida. I went through the site below and tried to use the pictures of the flatware designs with first production dates but I didn't find anything exact. I am guessing it was made sometime between 1930 and 1950. What I got is at least solid silver. Now I am hoping to clean up the tin piece to see if there is any info on it. Maybe not tonight tho...gonna try to go to a permission I got around memorial day. The area is named for the family which owned three houses there. The down side is it happens to be the newest house at 1840, but the upside is that it has the most land to it including farm fields.

Name:  Fork Front.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  39.1 KB
    http://www.silvercollection.it/INTER...LSILVERCO.html

Hey Jim good to see you posting again (yes i noticed your absent here and facebook just until recently too) congrats on the silver fork piece , the second picture almost looks like an old fly fishing reel part . Mill sites can be very productive areas and also very trashy spots too , I bet you will get more goodies there next time .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Nice digs! It seams that silver spoons and knifes are more commonly found than a fork. Good hunt.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

A piece of silver is always pleasant to find.
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Being a fly fisherman,,, I like the old fly reel!
    Primary machine= Teknetics T2

2016 Totals
    Oldest Coin= 1920 Wheat Cent
    Silver Coins= 0
    Rings= 1