Thread: Group hunt with Pacivilwarluke: Silver thimble, old coins, and relics!!!

Group hunt with Pacivilwarluke: Silver thimble, old coins, and relics!!!

I haven't had much luck detecting lately, found a few cellar holes not on the maps but people had already beat me to them. Still pulled out some buttons, shoe buckle fragments, and the usual stuff. Finally my luck changed on Tuesday when I headed over to the Cape cod area where Pacivilwarluke was staying to hit an 1814 house before heading over to Rhode Island to do some cellar hunting. The 1814 house was owned by a Pastor and was located right next to an historic church. Me, Luke, his dad, and Luke's friend all started swinging. My first decent target turned out to be a weird brass relic. A little while later I got a high 70's low 80's signal and pull out what I thought was a clad quarter. After wiping it off I noticed it wasn't a clad quarter its actually an 1851 Italian States "Tornesi due", a very strange find for here. My next good target was a silver thimble only two inches deep right next to a walkway. No markings of "sterling" but its definitely silver. Very cool find. I dug a merc and an indian and then Luke gets a copper. It was matron head large cent. Great find Luke! We then moved to a different area where Luke's dad got a silver Washington quarter. I also dug a strange buckle marked "Boston MPco" on one side and "France on the other side. Luke's friend got some clad and a few wheats. After lunch we moved on to Rhode Island to hit some colonial cellar holes. The one we were trying to get to turned out to be too deep in the woods so we hit a cellar I had hit before once and found nothing in an hour. Well, all I got there was a musket ball but Luke, his friend, and his dad all pulled buttons, most of them were very close to the cellar hole and apparently rang up very strong on the machines. Luke's dad also got two thimbles. We went to another cellar but didn't stay long as we were all exhausted. We made the long hike back and looked at all our finds before going our separate ways. Very fun day. Thanks for letting me tag along at the house. Hopefully you can come back here sometime and we can hunt some more cellar holes. Overall we all made good finds. The bad news is I have to return the thimble to the church. Apparently the church administrators were not happy with the pastor letting us keep the finds and they especially were fond of the thimble. We were also banned from every detecting anywhere near there again. Oh well, people have to ruin everything. HH.
    Name:  IMG_9962.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  140.2 KBName:  IMG_0009.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  112.4 KBName:  IMG_0013.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  108.1 KB Name:  IMG_0014.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  106.2 KBName:  IMG_0017.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  104.0 KBName:  IMG_0015.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  103.7 KBName:  IMG_9957.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  124.8 KBName:  IMG_0021.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  82.9 KBName:  IMG_0018.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  99.8 KB
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Very nice finds too bad about the reception from church members, now I wonder what they will do with the thimble...or I know they will use it to hold all their kindness.
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by Bell-Two View Post
    Very nice finds too bad about the reception from church members, now I wonder what they will do with the thimble...or I know they will use it to hold all their kindness.
    Well, I'm going to make sure they do something productive with it and hopefully display it somewhere. I don't want it going in a storage box in the basement.
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Quote Originally Posted by RIdirtdigger View Post
    Well, I'm going to make sure they do something productive with it and hopefully display it somewhere. I don't want it going in a storage box in the basement.
    Good news! The pastor got back to us and told us the thimble will be displayed with all of our names on it. I guess sometimes things actually work out.

Nice going James! The reverse of that Italian coin has lots of detail. I don't think that piece goes with that trouser fastener...at least I've never seen one that had that piece on it. Mangoave Jim found one last week.
    Why did the church people say you couldn't hunt anywhere near there again? I'm glad you guys met up again and were successful!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

awesome stuff! don't feel bad Todd & myself know the feeling of pounded sites.getting tougher each week to find anything productive
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Nice going James! The reverse of that Italian coin has lots of detail. I don't think that piece goes with that trouser fastener...at least I've never seen one that had that piece on it. Mangoave Jim found one last week.
    Why did the church people say you couldn't hunt anywhere near there again? I'm glad you guys met up again and were successful!
    It goes with the fastener Drew, cause it broke off lol

humph, I wonder if mine broke off too. Pics are at the bottom of this thread...and their use is in the middle of the thread.http://www.americandetectorist.com/f...me-1800s-relix
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Nice hunt! I do like that thimble
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

James I'm glad you got to hang out and detect with Luke and his dad , congrats on the coin and thimble . those silver ones aren't easy to come by .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Thanks everyone for your replies!