Thread: Copper and indian spill plus a few relics.

Threaded View

Copper and indian spill plus a few relics.

I haven't been having much luck at the cellar holes lately. Last few cellars I've hit do not appear on any historical maps , are deep in the woods, hard to access, and are only small rock lined holes. Unfortunately all of them had been pounded incredibly hard and I usually found myself coming home with a tombac button (and more recently, nothing at all). So, I decided to return to one of my old spots, a cellar hole deep in the woods near a creek that I hit in April and dug a colonial shoe buckle chape and tongue that still move, slide buckle, 1838 large cent, buttons and other relics. I had only hit the cellar hole twice so I knew there was still going to be plenty of stuff left. Luckily nobody had been there since I last hit it. I am just outside the stone walls that border the old homesite when I get a 50's signal and dig my hole. I reach for my pinpointer and realize its gone! I must have dropped it walking in. I'll have to look for it this week. Signal turned out to be a shot gun shell so I moved on closer to the cellar. I get a signal about 20 feet away from a small stone lined pen that is ringing up 65-76 bouncing. I dig the hole and swing my detector over it and now its ringing up as a midtone. I look down and see a small penny sized disk and I assume button. To my surprise its an 1863 fatty indian head. I was a little puzzled as the site does not show on the 1850's maps, and its not clear the site was occupied up to around the civil war. The map makers must have missed it. I check the hole again and get another signal about 6 inches away this time ringing up as a high tone in the 80's. I had a feeling it was going to be a copper and sure enough it was. 1843 Braided hair large cent. My 11th copper of the year and actually my first ever Braided hair. The spill is interesting as it shows how both large cents and indian heads were in circulation together at the same time. Pretty cool in my opinion. Reverses on both coins are much better than the obverses. Nothing crazy after the spill ,got a piece of brass and a horse buckle. I was pretty happy though with my hunt. I know there is more at that cellar so I will be making multiple return trips. Not bad for a 2 hour or so hunt. HH!
    Name:  IMG_0133.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  148.2 KBName:  IMG_0137.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  100.6 KBName:  IMG_0135.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  95.3 KBName:  IMG_0141.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  45.8 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button