Thread: Copper and indian spill plus a few relics.

Copper and indian spill plus a few relics.

I haven't been having much luck at the cellar holes lately. Last few cellars I've hit do not appear on any historical maps , are deep in the woods, hard to access, and are only small rock lined holes. Unfortunately all of them had been pounded incredibly hard and I usually found myself coming home with a tombac button (and more recently, nothing at all). So, I decided to return to one of my old spots, a cellar hole deep in the woods near a creek that I hit in April and dug a colonial shoe buckle chape and tongue that still move, slide buckle, 1838 large cent, buttons and other relics. I had only hit the cellar hole twice so I knew there was still going to be plenty of stuff left. Luckily nobody had been there since I last hit it. I am just outside the stone walls that border the old homesite when I get a 50's signal and dig my hole. I reach for my pinpointer and realize its gone! I must have dropped it walking in. I'll have to look for it this week. Signal turned out to be a shot gun shell so I moved on closer to the cellar. I get a signal about 20 feet away from a small stone lined pen that is ringing up 65-76 bouncing. I dig the hole and swing my detector over it and now its ringing up as a midtone. I look down and see a small penny sized disk and I assume button. To my surprise its an 1863 fatty indian head. I was a little puzzled as the site does not show on the 1850's maps, and its not clear the site was occupied up to around the civil war. The map makers must have missed it. I check the hole again and get another signal about 6 inches away this time ringing up as a high tone in the 80's. I had a feeling it was going to be a copper and sure enough it was. 1843 Braided hair large cent. My 11th copper of the year and actually my first ever Braided hair. The spill is interesting as it shows how both large cents and indian heads were in circulation together at the same time. Pretty cool in my opinion. Reverses on both coins are much better than the obverses. Nothing crazy after the spill ,got a piece of brass and a horse buckle. I was pretty happy though with my hunt. I know there is more at that cellar so I will be making multiple return trips. Not bad for a 2 hour or so hunt. HH!
    Name:  IMG_0133.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  148.2 KBName:  IMG_0137.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  100.6 KBName:  IMG_0135.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  95.3 KBName:  IMG_0141.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  45.8 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

That is super find a nice copper spill!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

I've never really thought about it, but they must have had the large and small cents in their pockets concurrently. Very cool bit of history you found James I like the chocolate color on that LC!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

It is strange to think that both coins in your pocket were the same denomination even though they were very unequal in size . Congrats on the "fatty" and your first braided hair .

James on the really older sites they are often very quiet for a few reasons and not necessarily because they've been hit or pounded . money was very tight on pre 1780's home sites and they reused most items including nails when they could very little was discarded . I find that even though there might not be a ton of targets at these sites , the good is hardly any junk to dig and most targets are some thing usually pretty good .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

That's a pretty cool pocket spill.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Glad you pulled out some relics from that cellar! Too cool to see that they were both in circulation t the same time, little history lesson in your hole!
    Detectors: dual wield at-pros, t2
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    oldest US silver- 1832 capped bust dime
    "Swords into plowshares"

Great Job. I've never had a spill like that.
    Awesome finds.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Awesome spill!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

That does seem a bit intriguing how the unequal coin sizes were in circulation together. I wonder what went through people's minds when they first saw the smaller cents. Was it the same as when they started selling the 56 Oz ice cream at the half gallon price? Inflation was already plaguing at 150 years ago. lol. Nice score on those cents. They are in good shape.

...And yet again it is good to learn something from Bridannica again.

Congrats on the copper spill. Perhaps a tad more work and the obverses will show better.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Very nice hunt!expectthe unexpected while detecting is what I always say
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers