Thread: Pennies and Pulltabs

Pennies and Pulltabs

Well, I hope I didn't use up a lifetime's worth of luck with my one honey hole. First I went off to the sites I located as an 1850's era grist mill and saw mill, as well as a blacksmith shop, tavern and inn. I could pretty much verify it was the right location by finding a few square nails, and some kind of tag with an 1871 date, but nothing else in the region even close to being from that era. Found tons of fishing sinkers, garbage and pull tabs, but not a single coin-not even clad! Very unusual...
    Secondly I went to the first public park in the city, a very small square that dated back to 1837. Once again, after several hours I found nothing but a few clad, a couple newer pennies and tons of pull tabs. Nothing older than around 1987-so what gives-someone hunted it out earlier maybe? I would have guessed a minimum of a couple Wheaties at least!
    Lastly, went out for a couple hours today to another park location expecting to at least find some decent amount of clad. Two hours later I had 2 quarters and a penny-go figure.

My question is how often does everyone get these nasty dry spells? Or is it more a rule than the exception

Update-the "tag" mentioned above was now identified as actually being a suspender clip, so actually one nice find!
    Last edited by Digger_O'Dell; 06-29-2015 at 09:21 PM.

Everyone that I know who detects gets into a dry spell. I think that a dry spell makes the good times even more fun.

Keep swinging!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Bucknut is right, dry spells are what make the productive sites that much more exciting!

I seldom stay at an unproductive site for more than a couple of hours. If I haven't found a keeper in that mount of time I move on to Plan B, or Plan C, etc. I almost always have several sites lined up in case the first ones are duds.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Yep, I had gotten skunked at plan A, B and C! Yes, I'm an extremely stubborn person and hate to "lose", so often stick it out to the bitter end just in case there is that one special find I wouldn't want to miss. But luckily as I posted elsewhere about the vintage aerial photos site, I now have hope for another park that I had given up hope. In that case I was looking where there was supposedly 2 school buildings over the years, the first build in the 1840's, and the second that took it's place around 1890 which was razed around 1970 and the property turned into a park. Before I had only had topography and guesses as to the actual location. With the vintage photo from 1963 I was able to determine I was completely off as there were significant changes in tree lines, parking, etc over the years.

It happens quite often, but as Tony said, when you finally come out of it, it's just that more exciting.
    And by the way, You'll always come out of it.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Went back to the location of the old school and found nothing but a couple pull tabs and junk. Had a hard time believing I found a Hamms beer can a foot down! Appears that someone had cleaned this area out as it looked like a lot of old plugs were still loose where they must have left the trash after exposing it. Really bad form in my opinion!
    Oh well, on to the next adventure!

Beer cans a foot down sound like coppers!! Then you dig 7in and still nothing
    But after I dig modern trash at a foot, I know nice old targets could be shallow ...as the dirt was plowed or moved around.
    I get in object slumps from time to time....like not finding a coin in an inordinately long time.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

From what I have found is when I find beet cans a foot down it is usually because fill material was put in over the site after all the other dirt was removed when the original building(s) were razed. That also explains things like the lack of nails and other trash.
    On another note along these lines I went out today before work to a micro park in an area that is supposed to have a lot of history. Turns out the park was nothing but maybe 1-2 inches top soil that looks like potting mix put in over a fill of gravel and and slag probably from a steel mill. This cause me to try using my high frequency double D coil to try and cherry pick a bit through all the metal. Only thing I did manage to find there was a 1965 dime. Oh well, on to the next place.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Veteran Member leslie(nova scotia)'s Avatar
    Such is the life of a digaholic! Dig and they will come!
    From the land of the Bluenose.....life is a beach at least till the tide comes in and the Bud is all gone. Swish and dig at the drop of a dime!