Thread: Silver, Indians, a V and a Trifecta!!

Silver, Indians, a V and a Trifecta!!

These finds cover the last 10 days or so. Two weekends ago my son and I got a field permission that had a home from the 1870's to the 1960's. The farmer is very late here with planting but that is good news for us. This place was loaded with coins. We found 34 of them....BUT they were mostly memorials. We did manage 3 wheats and a 1907 indian. Also found 4 marbles.

In the middle of last week I went to a school site that has been producing for me lately and the first hole by my car had a 1942 Washington...2 hours later I got a Canadian 50% silver and then the bugs drove me off.

Name:  2silvers indian.JPG
Views: 129
Size:  87.6 KB
    Name:  marbles.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  59.0 KB

Last Friday it was a beautiful day here and I took an extra long lunch. I went into an old town 5 minutes from my work and noticed that the owner of one of the homes I have been knocking on for about a year was mowing his yard. So I asked him if I could hunt it and before I was even finished asking he stopped me and said "Go ahead!". So I shut up and started swinging. I found the 1900 indian right away. then I got the other two Indians in the same hole. An hour later I found the V nik. I was surprised that I did not find a silver but I was very satisfied with those coins.

Name:  D House.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  65.9 KB

Then this Sunday afternoon I went door knocking again. The first couple homes no one was home and then I got a no. So I drove to the neighborhood where I was at on Friday and got another home with no one home. Ugh! Then I saw an elderly lady picking her flowers and chatted with her for a moment and then got permission to check out her yard. Her house was built in 1928 but all of the neighbors are 1800's. Well after 5 minutes I got a deep 12-43ish signal and out popped a surprise...a BEAUTIFUL 1843 Large Cent. I have only rinsed it with water to remove the dirt. Its got a wonderful patina with great details! 30 minutes later I found a 1944 merc and then I found my first wheat of the day. After I finished up her yard I went to the spot where I got the LC and tried it from a different angle and I got a one way signal that was deep and hitting 12-35ish. What finally came out of the ground was one of my best Indians...an 1865 indian with a full liberty! Now the liberty is not crisp BUT every letter can be clearly seen. So this yard gave me an unexpected penny trifecta that totally made my day!

Name:  1865.JPG
Views: 128
Size:  96.9 KB
    Name:  All.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  74.3 KB
    Name:  back.JPG
Views: 131
Size:  130.5 KB
    Name:  Tri.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  60.3 KB

Thanks for looking!
    Last edited by Bucknut; 06-30-2015 at 02:33 PM.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

WOW! All of those copper coins came out of the ground looking really nice! Look at the wonderful patina on that Large Cent as well as the Indian Heads! Not only that, but the V Nickel looks great too!

That 1865 Indian Head is a beauty for sure, it must have been an early drop.

GREAT FINDS!

Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

My gosh you have some great dirt in those parts. I'd like to find a marble one day...not one as yet. Your pictures are outstanding!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Beautiful finds!!! The ground is kind to you on copper coins
    I <3 colonial relics!

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    Beautiful finds!!! The ground is kind to you on copper coins
    Yes much of the dirt here in SE Michigan is black sandy soil. Ideal for preserving the coppers. Not all of the coins around come out looking this good but I am sure glad these did!
    Last edited by Bucknut; 06-30-2015 at 02:33 PM.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Elite Member
    WOW that's a great batch of coins. All the coins are in great shape especially the '65 Indian. Great finds WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Really nice find! That large cent looks to be in awesome condition compared to others I have seen on the market. I might guess EF40 condition maybe once cleaned correctly and graded?

Man, what a great bunch of coins. That 1865 Indian looks awesome. Heck, they all look awesome!!
    on a few excellent hunts.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos