Thread: Button find xtra fine sporting. 1860?

Button find xtra fine sporting. 1860?

I found this at a 1850s house. Any ideas of its age, is it a dog? and possible value? Thanks.Name:  DSC00165.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  64.4 KBName:  DSC00166.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  101.9 KB
    2017 Total:
    Mercs= 2
    Wash=1
    Seated=1
    total slivers=4
    Wheats 8.
    Indians=4 (1864,1865,1888)
    LG cents=1
    1 Sliver Pendent, 2= 3-ringers, 2 tokens

Most Valuable find ever: 1834 C.B. dime, Oldest 1776 1/2 Reale, Biggest 1822 CB half.
    Detectors: E-trac and F75LTD2

It is a sporting button and was worn on hunting jackets of the time. I would date it mid to late 1800s. I think it is actually a wolf. And, I don't think it has much monetary value. But, it is a nice find and I would be proud of it.
    My wife does all the driving, I just hold the steering wheel!

I would agree with fyrffytr1 on his analysis of that button both on time frame and it depicting a wolf .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

And not just any wolf. It's a snarling wolf! It's an awesome button. Congrats and HH, Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Thanks. I think the wolf is very cool looking. It will go to my button collection that is growing rapidly.
    2017 Total:
    Mercs= 2
    Wash=1
    Seated=1
    total slivers=4
    Wheats 8.
    Indians=4 (1864,1865,1888)
    LG cents=1
    1 Sliver Pendent, 2= 3-ringers, 2 tokens

Most Valuable find ever: 1834 C.B. dime, Oldest 1776 1/2 Reale, Biggest 1822 CB half.
    Detectors: E-trac and F75LTD2

Unbelievable how even google on this browser doesn't yield the same results as I had on my cell browser. I found a site with similar buttons but nothing exact. There were greyhounds and rabbits and foxes. Are you sure the pic doesn't depict a fox seeing as it is about sporting? They too have the flared 'mane' behind the head. I only say this because the site didn't have any wolf buttons but had quite a few fox buttons, granted I do acknowledge the fact this button was not on the site which means some types may exist even tho they are not on the site. Time frame tho late 1800s. After the civil war as there are many CW buttons with the 'Extra Fine' printed on the back.

It is not the same as your button but the button in this link is a wolf's head. https://www.etsy.com/listing/2044987...-of-brass-19th
    And, if I read it correctly, the "Extra Quality" backmark was used by the Steele and Johnson company. They were in business from 1852 until 1920 when the Waterbury Button Co. bought them out.
    My wife does all the driving, I just hold the steering wheel!