Thread: off to the cape

off to the cape

so im off to cape cod tomorrow for a week and wondered if the beach hunting is any good and even if im allowed ?.
    Ive never really hunted beaches before and wondered if there was any At PRO users out there with any tips on what setting i should hunt with ?.
    im going to a place called falmoth and i don't even know if this is an historical area or not.
    any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lee,
    Sounds like a great vacation! Sun, surf, beach, detecting! Admittedly I am not very familiar with the AT Pro, but judging by the specs I suspect you may have some difficulties at a saltwater beach due to the mineralization-much like I have around the great lakes with deep black sand. Your detector only runs at 15 KHz and has no option to change that. Not the worst, but a pretty good mid range "everything" frequency. On the plus side it's a double D design which has better target discrimination and handles the mineralization better-not to mention it's waterproof too, so searching the surf could be done as well.
    As for settings, I would only run the sensitivity on the low side to eliminate false triggering and keep the coil from "blinding" itself. You will likely have to experiment with the settings for best performance where you are at-try in wet sand with some targets placed on the surface.
    Good luck and happy hunting!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Depends on the beach. Some will have too much black sand mixed in. Some will have sand trucked in from other locations over the years, so detecting the sand will work, but you won't be able to detect in the water.
    The entire cape has history going back to the 1600s. You won't likely find anything historic on a beach, but if you were given permission to detect an old homesite . . . maybe.
    Remember -- The National Seashore is off limits (not a problem near Falmouth, but don't start dreaming about those miles and miles of beach on the outer cape -- all Federal PArk land).