Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: July 4th 2014 FMDF boots 7 members. A day which will live in infamy.

July 4th 2014 FMDF boots 7 members. A day which will live in infamy.

Well.maybe not infamy but it will be remembered. Do you remember where you were when it happened ? The 7 members that got sent on vacation were - Kemper,Tom_in_CA,itsaring,HarveyH48,SafeMode,stewa rt73 and Jay_781. Naturally I don't think I deserved it and here is the thread I was on when it happened- http://metaldetectingforum.com/showt...ghlight=Kemper

Here is the thread the other members were on- http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=193500

Just passing on information here as the 4th approaches on metal detecting forums. The administrators must have been tired of moderating threads to boot 7 people at one time. I wonder if a mass banning ever took place at another time. Looking back at the threads they seem mild in comparison to some of the threads I've seen there lately.

No hard feelings but I don't think it is a good idea to boot people in numbers. It's been fun and have a Happy 4th of July.

you sound homesick .... you don't need to air out your "dirty laundry" here ?? This isn't friendly forum Kemper ??
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    you sound homesick .... you don't need to air out your "dirty laundry" here ?? This isn't friendly forum Kemper ??
    I don't know if I would call it " dirty laundry " but some might look at it like that--

I don't get it. Why bring up what happened another forum?
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Who cares?
    I live my life one target at a time
    since '68

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff (or) View Post
    Who cares?
    I won't name names or provide numerous links that would answer your questions as I feel that is not encouraged here. Will say that there is a lot of interest in the issues in our hobby that go beyond the " show and tell " issues. Nothing wrong with the " show and tell " issues though. It is interesting to see how participation in forums goes down when the hotter issues that are effecting our hobby are being pushed to the side.
    It will not be easy to see "who cares " as you put it unless discussion on all issues are encouraged ,regardless of where they are brought up on public sites. Your question could more easily be answered by discussing those issues rather than avoiding them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kemper View Post
    It is interesting to see how participation in forums goes down when the hotter issues that are effecting our hobby are being pushed to the side.
    you will find our member very engaged when it comes to "hotter Issues" this is more like sour grapes .

Who cares?
    I tend to agree Jeff , move on Kemper

It will not be easy to see "who cares " as you put it unless discussion on all issues are encouraged ,regardless of where they are brought up on public sites. Your question could more easily be answered by discussing those issues rather than avoiding them.
    This issue has very little to do with the hobby and is more of a personal gripe that has to deal with you and Friendly. Your being banned at Friendly an other forums does not need to be discussed or rehashed here. You don't sound very optimistic.

you will find our member very engaged when it comes to "hotter Issues" this is more like sour grapes .

I tend to agree Jeff , move on Kemper

This issue has very little to do with the hobby and is more of a personal gripe that has to deal with you and Friendly. Your being banned at Friendly an other forums does not need to be discussed or rehashed here. You don't sound very optimistic.

I have no problem discussing the issues in the threads that I presented. Just because they were brought from another forum, I don't see a need to avoid them just because of that. The problem of discussing the hot issues on metal detecting forums is a big issue as we can see here. That is an issue that has very much to do with the hobby. It seems that no one really wants to moderate the hotter issues and they don't have to. What I presented shows that.The hobby suffers because of this.

There are two "issues" that I can glean here, and I'm not certain which you are trying to discuss.

1-Your being banned. It happened a long time ago and it's your private business.

2-The issue that was raised on the post you were banned on. If you dig something and can find the person who dropped it, you give it back.
    Last edited by OxShoeDrew; 07-05-2015 at 03:42 PM.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    The are two "issues" that I can glean here, and I'm not certain which you are trying to discuss.

1-Your being banned. It happened a long time ago and it's your private business.

2-The issue that was raised on the post you were banned on. If you dig something and can find the person who dropped it, you give it back.
    An issue is that 7 people were banned from a metal detecting forum at the same time. Another issue is that no one seems to want to moderate the hot topic issues and they are often pushed to the side because no one wants to moderate them. There are a lot of things that negatively effect the hobby and I feel they can be discussed on a metal detecting forum if there is a desire to discuss those issues. For that to happen it might take a forum that would encourage discussion on those issues. That would make people more comfortable bringing those issues up and discussing them.

The fact that 7 people received a 7 day ban is public issue and is shown on threads on public forums. The issue on the thread that involved me was one of a member bringing a scenario to the forum wanting to "argue" his scenario. I did that and any other member had the opportunity to join the discussion. I was told that by being involved in the discussion that I was making it my issue. I hope you can see that it was more of an issue than returning an item.

These type of discussion stopping tactics because no one wants to moderate threads does not encourage people to want to participate. The 2 issues that you noted may be valid but in no way cover all the issues that can be seen in this thread. i hope you can glean more issues here than what you noted.

Again, I feel there are two issues here.
    1-Your being banned (along with six others)
    2-Returning found items to people who lost them (there is nothing to "argue" here)
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Again, I feel there are two issues here.
    1-Your being banned (along with six others)
    2-Returning found items to people who lost them (there is nothing to "argue" here)
    The thread I referenced was from a law student that came to the forum and was wanting someone to argue his scenario and it was metal detecting related. It was about arguing his scenario and it wasn't a simple issue of returning an item as that thread will show. The thread also shows how discussion was being stopped and there was no desire to moderate the thread although it was within forum rules. There is also the case of the thread the other 6 people were on and the issues there. I don't disagree that the 2 things you noted were issues but that only touches lightly on the thread.

Do you feel that a ban of 7 people at the same time is good or bad for the image of detecting forums ?
    Do you feel that the issues that are often "hot topic" issues should be discussed more and people should be more comfortable discussing them ?
    I'm looking at some of these issues and how they have been handled by forums and members over the last year. I see less discussion of these issues and less forum participation overall.

1st Issue- I have no idea if banning the "Friendly 7" was justified...and I reiterate, happened a long, long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.
    2nd Issue- The topic of returning found items to owners is not "hot."
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

1st Issue- I have no idea if banning the "Friendly 7" was justified...and I reiterate, happened a long, long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.
    2nd Issue- The topic of returning found items to owners is not "hot."
    Coins that were dropped a long ,long time ago are also an issue but one that is encouraged to be discussed. The topic of returning lost items to owners often gets to be a "hot" topic especially when people feel like they can discuss it. I can show a link to a thread where it gets very hot. I feel that you think the issues of forum restrictions are not something you wish to discuss and I understand that you don't have to.
    If I'm wrong please look at the threads I referenced and give an opinion on how you think the moderators and the members conducted themselves. Don't worry about how long ago and how far away the initial threads were. They were brought here yesterday and are close now and open for discussion if anyone wishes or feels comfortable doing so.

WOW !! Seven people got kicked off a metal detecting forum at once . Man that's tragic !! I'm surprised there hasn't been any media coverage .

Going for another Ban are ya Gary??!?
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Thrills View Post
    WOW !! Seven people got kicked off a metal detecting forum at once . Man that's tragic !! I'm surprised there hasn't been any media coverage .
    There was an extensive article on the back page of the "FlatFish Falls Tribune". If I can find my copy, I will send it to you. And yes, it...it...was tragic.
    Name:  image002.gif
Views: 470
Size:  26.0 KB
    I live my life one target at a time
    since '68

Do you feel that a ban of 7 people at the same time is good or bad for the image of detecting forums ?
    Where is it written down that banning 7 people at a time from a forum is a bad thing ?? that judgement is for them to decide , no I'm not going to waste my time reading what happen on said forum . life is too short and my concern is what takes place at this one . So no is the answer to your first question.

Do you feel that the issues that are often "hot topic" issues should be discussed more and people should be more comfortable discussing them ?
    I'm looking at some of these issues and how they have been handled by forums and members over the last year. I see less discussion of these issues and less forum participation overall.
    Jeez , i feel like your conducting a survey...
    Like we have said before we are very open about discussing topics that are hobby related , your being banned on the other forums is more of a personal matter between you and them Kemper .

what is the big issue about being here with all this anyways ...

you have other media platforms at your disposal to complain or rant and get your feelings out about your treatment on these other forums why do it here ?
    Last edited by del; 07-04-2015 at 06:13 PM.

Where is it written down that banning 7 people at a time from a forum is a bad thing ?? that judgement is for them to decide , no I'm not going to waste my time reading what happen on said forum . life is too short and my concern is what takes place at this one . So no is the answer to your first question.

Jeez , i feel like your conducting a survey...
    Like we have said before we are very open about discussing topics that are hobby related , your being banned on the other forums is more of a personal matter between you and them Kemper .

what is the big issue about being here with all this anyways ...

you have other media platforms at your disposal to complain or rant and get your feelings out about your treatment on these other forums why do it here ?
    My question wasn't asked of you but rather asked of OxShoeDrew. My thread here was not just about being banned on that forum or other forums. To answer your question- this is a detecting forum and I would expect detecting people to see it here. My thread is informational although you seem to think it is about complaining ,ranting and getting my feelings out.
    I'm not complaining or ranting as I realize that forums can do as they wish. My feelings are that I wish that forums would encourage discussion and want to moderate the often termed " hot-button " , " dramatic ", "stirring the pot " etc. issues that are more important than showing of finds and talk about machines. That is why I am doing it here. What happens on public forums is hobby related. I encourage people to try to discuss issues rather than look for a reason not to.

There was an extensive article on the back page of the "FlatFish Falls Tribune". If I can find my copy, I will send it to you. And yes, it...it...was tragic.
    Name:  image002.gif
Views: 470
Size:  26.0 KB
    If you were to post a picture of a coin or a civil war relic and I would come on your thread and post a comment such as yours,how would you feel ? It does show immaturity and inconsideration and goes against what the administrator of this forum stated just a couple days ago. I have a feeling you are going to get to slide and that is not my call to make. It does show how some topics are not taken seriously enough and that is part (only part ) of the reason why we see so much damage being done to our hobby by the way people detect and why people don't feel comfortable discussing some issues.