Thread: Now that's a good start !

Now that's a good start !

Hi all,

I am spending the Summer back in France. Went out 3 times so far. The first time, I just couldn't dig at all. The ground was as hard as rock. No matter what I would do or use, I would only take chips out at best.
    Then, we drove to my wife's cousin. Went out again, and found a couple of coins (early 20th century) and a nice buckle, probably 14th/15th century.
    We finally drove to my mother-in-law's place in the South. Went out for 1h 1/2 yesterday evening. And there it was...

Name:  IMG_2646.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  40.9 KB

A Celtic silver obol from the Tolosates (or Volques Tectosages) tribe ! It dates back to the end of the 2nd century BC. Last year, I had found a similar coin, from the very same tribe. Same design but twice thicker. It was a silver drachma (My avatar here). Now I have both the drachma and the obol ! YES !

Happy hunting to all !
    Last edited by Restoring Your Finds; 07-08-2015 at 04:20 AM.
    Follow my Facebook Page : A Metal Detecting World

It boggles the mind what can be found
    You find a 700 yr old buckle and it doesn't even get a picture....because you found somthing much older!
    Do you know what the design is on the coin? and is anything on the back? Truly remarkable!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Drew already asked the necessary stuff. Amazing find tho. Too bad I couldn't get a few months off work to spend the summer in something like Italy and go after those ghost towns they got. I'm sure something really old would turn up along with no modern trash.

Now THAT is an amazing find!

A silver coin that is over 2,000 years old! Just think about the people who had that coin in their hands and what their lives were like. It truly sends your imagination soaring. That's what I love about this hobby!

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Wow,,, I can't even get my mind around finding something that old,,,, GREAT FIND!!
    Primary machine= Teknetics T2

2016 Totals
    Oldest Coin= 1920 Wheat Cent
    Silver Coins= 0
    Rings= 1

Sort of makes our mercury dimes seem trivial doesn't it? Congrats. Is the picture on the coin a star?
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Shucks fellas i cant even get out of brunswick md. The oldest thing i ever found was pair of dirty stinky socks that hid from the wife in her dresser drawer and got chewed out for it . All jokes aside it would be totally unreal to hold a peice of history that old like tony said and wonder who was the last to touch , for why was it misplace and the culture at that time. It is mind boggling that we have all these other people before us that we seem to know something about because of scripture , scholars and text books but to me we will never know unless we were there. Just my thought. That again is a heck of find .

Elite Member
    Not much more can be said great finds and great history WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Holy crap, that's an incredible find, I would love to go to Europe one day and dig but that's just a pipe dream at the moment. Great piece of history you saved. Congrats on a fantastic coin!
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

That is beyond cool! Can't wait to see what else you get this summer.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Yep, those Euro guys sure got it good when looking for the really old coins/artifacts! Just saw a documentary this morning about an old English village still in existence much like it was when first settled around 450 AD! Would love to make a detecting trip there, for sure!
    Finding something like this would top the bucket list:
    Name:  offa coin.PNG
Views: 162
Size:  235.6 KB
    Minted by King Offa of Mercia (part of current England) some time between AD 760-795
    Value: about $750,000
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Digger_O'Dell; 07-09-2015 at 10:17 PM.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Thank you all guys !

Unfortunately, the reverse is worn and smooth. Also, as you can see, the coin was not well centered when cut. Here is a pic of a very nice one (found on the Internet, not one of mine) showing more of the design. As you can see, on the obverse, there is a cubist head. On the reverse, there is a cross with axes and ellipses in its quarters.

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-07-10 at 9.55.50 AM.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  38.8 KB

Now, here is the 14th/15th century buckle :

Name:  IMG_2644.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  74.7 KB

I'll do another post as I went out again 2 days ago... 17th/18th, 15th/16th century coins... roman coins and possibly a roman ring. (I am not that great at dating rings) Nothing in a great shape but still a few nice things.

Thanks for your comments guys. I really appreciate it !

HH to all !

that coin is so small and its amazing how old it is , congratulation on a very unique coin.

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger View Post
    Sort of makes our mercury dimes seem trivial doesn't it?
    Thats it Dave the merc gods aren't rewarding you with any more "trivial" silver !
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

That is amazing I may end up in Bulgaria this summer and initially I had thought that I wouldn't take my detector but I may have to change that decision. Congrats on a super find.

Ron
    Whites VX3 with Sunray Probe, 10x12 SEF, 8x6 SEF, 10dd, 6x10Eclipse, 4x6 Eclipse, Lesche digger and Garrett Pro Pointer.

I can't even imagine it.... just amazing
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Wow, The age of that coin and the history behind it is mind boggling
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

You may not want to go detecting once you get back to the US. Great find.
    Best Finds for 2015

1871 British Gold half sovereign
    1786 New Jersey copper

1786 Vermont Landscape
    2 - 1787 Connecticut coppers
    4 King George II halfpence
    2 King George II Farthings
    3 Large cents
    5 - 1864 2 Cent Pieces
    1857 Seated Dime
    4 Barber Dimes
    Standing Liberty Quarter
    21 Addt'l Silver Dimes
    8 War Nickels
    31 Indians
    5 Shield nickels & 8 V nickels
    Victorian Silver Match Case c.1880
    29 Gram 14k gold bracelet

Quote Originally Posted by don in ny View Post
    You may not want to go detecting once you get back to the US. Great find.
    As I once told you... Everything lies in the context. You know how ecstatic I was when I found my first CT copper, my 1696 shilling, my Barber Half and even my 2nd Large Cent with you ! Just to name a few