Thread: I've got new play purty's

I've got new play purty's

Picked up a Sunray probe and a 6X8 sef coil in a package deal. I've only tinkered with it for 5 minutes or so in the test plot, just to confirm function,,,, but I can tell already that I'm gonna like them. My brief trial picked up silver and wheat at 7 inches,,, loud and clear. The probe begins picking up the target 3 inches away,,,, I like it!!! I really like being able to use the VDI when pinpointing. If I had been given a choice, I probably would have gotten a 10X12 instead of the 6X8,,,, but when presented a bundle you just gotta roll with it.

Gonna ride up to southwestern Virginia this weekend to hunt with my brother. Will give it a good test up there.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Primary machine= Teknetics T2

2016 Totals
    Oldest Coin= 1920 Wheat Cent
    Silver Coins= 0
    Rings= 1

The Sunray Probes are the Shizzle-manizzle! Sunray stopped making them for the Etrac and now the only way to get them is on EBay...a used one can go for well over $200!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

I love my Sun Ray target probe!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

You will love the SEF coil. I dug a dime yesterday at about 10 inches using that coil on my VX3. I was utterly amazed that a coil so small found a dime in a hole that was almost the full length of my Lesche digger. The Sunray is awesome as well. I think you will love both of those new toys.
    Ron
    Whites VX3 with Sunray Probe, 10x12 SEF, 8x6 SEF, 10dd, 6x10Eclipse, 4x6 Eclipse, Lesche digger and Garrett Pro Pointer.

Nice score on both . One of the dealers on Treasure Depot has a nice used DX-1 for $119.00 . He also said Sunray has stopped making the DX-1 also . I also noticed Sunray no longer has a forum on the findmall .

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Thrills View Post
    Nice score on both
    Agreed....your thread has kindled my curiosity in discriminating pinpointers.
    I hope you don't mind if I throw out a few questions for you SunRay users ...
    Do you have to look at the screen VDI to see what your probe is telling you or does it make differing sounds too?
    Does anyone know why a discriminating probe has to be inline? Why can't there be a probe with discrimination on your belt?
    Good luck in Virginia!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Do you have to look at the screen VDI to see what your probe is telling you or does it make differing sounds too?
    Does anyone know why a discriminating probe has to be inline? Why can't there be a probe with discrimination on your belt?
    Good luck in Virginia!
    on my dfx it would sound just like i have it set up with tone id and as far its basically your machine functions being transferred to the mini probe when you flick the switch. as far as I know no one has made a tone id discriminating probe yet Drew
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Good luck in Virginia!

You beat me to the punch Del , Good job .
    Being as I struggled on this , I will leave this post up .

There is no need to look at your screen as the X-1's use the same different tones as your detector . Your screen VDI still gives out its numerical or graph readings also . A discriminating probe has to be inline with a tone endowed control box because currently there are no hand held wireless probes being manufactured with different tones .When the CTX's came out a detectorist I know took a control box from a Garrett and hooked up a made for Garrett Sunray inline probe to it . Basically what the inline probe is ,is a long ,thin 1" coil hooked to a splitter switch which alternates the detecting abilities from your main coil to itself .
    Last edited by Cheap Thrills; 07-12-2015 at 06:37 PM.

Virginia was a bust. Permission fell through and no firm back up plan. So we hit a couple of parks and found modern coinage and a couple of hotwheels. I was able to use the Sunray some. First impressions,,,, it was quicker/easier just to grab the Propointer than use the Sunray. That said, the VDI was kind of cool to confirm targets, and see if VDI's got better after the plug was opened. Depth is not correct using the sunray, (at least not on mine ) but you quickly adapt and know that when it says five inches, it's more like three. I suppose to be fair, I should leave the Propointer in the truck and use the Sunray more before forming an opinion.

The 6X8 coil on the other hand was most appreciated this weekend. I dug a couple of coin sized target down to 7 inches. I used it on a new permission this evening. The house is on a 1947 aerial photo. I took my time and covered the front yard pretty thoroughly. All I found were modern pennies, and scrap. Mostly 3 inches or less but did find a couple of targets at 5-6 inches. I'm fairly confident that the property has not been detected before, but never found so much as a wheat for old coinage. I'm thinking I'll go back with the Whites 9 inch spider concentric to see if the 6X8 missed anything, or is the yard just void of older coins.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2016 Totals
    Silver Coins= 0
    Rings= 1

On the DX-1,, I also learned the importance of checking the selector switch,,,,, often. We arrived at a park and I ground balanced ( at 82 ) and began detecting. Right off the bat I noticed powerlines overhead, and the machine was acting wacky, showing a 82 everytime I swung the machine to the right towards the powerlines. After 10 minutes of trying to put distance between the powerline EMI and me,, I noticed the switch was in the "probe" position and the coil was picking up the cable as it swung. (Big Dummy ) This happened one other time over the weekend, but it didn't take me 10 minutes the second time. ( I can be taught ) I have also come to realize that the probe should be mounted on the lower shaft, and the switch box up higher to the detector's handle.

2016 Totals
    Silver Coins= 0
    Rings= 1

I spent a little more time with the Sunray this afternoon. This time I made sure not to bring any other pin pointer and it really did make a difference. With no other options, I never gave it a second thought. It really showed it's worth too. I had one of those signal where you were confident that there was two targets side by side. With the Sunray I was able to zero in on a penny, and totally avoid the nail that was close by.

2016 Totals
    Silver Coins= 0
    Rings= 1