Thread: Port Washington , WI

Port Washington , WI

Does anybody know if its allowed to MD the beach in Port Washington?

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

Yes it is! I was out there a couple times including this last Saturday. But, I will give you a bit of advice-it's LOADED with deep black sand, and unless you have a lot of adjustment on your ground balance, a high frequency coil, or a multi frequency or pulse type detector you won't get a signal even if it's a silver platter on top of the sand!
    The conditions are a bit rough too. The beach has not been made official public beach front and it is acquiring a lot of trash. Also there is a lot of rolled up aluminum from cans rolled through the gravel and rocks by the wave action. Also the bluff has collapsed a LOT in the last 20-30 years, and the areas we used to frequent in my high school days is now under literally tons of red clay.
    As for the park areas, the lower park by the band shell is the location of the annual fish day drunk fest (fish fry), and is like a buried field of pull tabs. The upper park is much better, but haven't found much for coins. Some clad and one silver Rosie so far for me, but it's a huge park!
    If you're interested in getting together sometime, PM me and we'll work something out!
    GL and HH!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Yes it is! I was out there a couple times including this last Saturday. But, I will give you a bit of advice-it's LOADED with deep black sand, and unless you have a lot of adjustment on your ground balance, a high frequency coil, or a multi frequency or pulse type detector you won't get a signal even if it's a silver platter on top of the sand!
    The conditions are a bit rough too. The beach has not been made official public beach front and it is acquiring a lot of trash. Also there is a lot of rolled up aluminum from cans rolled through the gravel and rocks by the wave action. Also the bluff has collapsed a LOT in the last 20-30 years, and the areas we used to frequent in my high school days is now under literally tons of red clay.
    As for the park areas, the lower park by the band shell is the location of the annual fish day drunk fest (fish fry), and is like a buried field of pull tabs. The upper park is much better, but haven't found much for coins. Some clad and one silver Rosie so far for me, but it's a huge park!
    If you're interested in getting together sometime, PM me and we'll work something out!
    GL and HH!
    Yes I would like that if you care to put up with a rookie. Thanks for the info about the beach. Don't think I have the equipment for that yet but I make do with what I have

Quote Originally Posted by groundhog53946 View Post
    Yes I would like that if you care to put up with a rookie. Thanks for the info about the beach. Don't think I have the equipment for that yet but I make do with what I have

No problem, I'm actually a "rookie" myself! lol First year with my X-Terra, but I have already put in countless hours (and batteries!) so far, plus other time reading and learning everything I could, which has really paid off so far. Just miss having people to go with to share the company and the excitement!
    I think I read you have an F2? I don't know if that would handle black sand very well, but it wont hurt to try. Maybe if you had a DD coil it could make a difference too? Only way to tell is to try.
    Equipment:

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    No problem, I'm actually a "rookie" myself! lol First year with my X-Terra, but I have already put in countless hours (and batteries!) so far, plus other time reading and learning everything I could, which has really paid off so far. Just miss having people to go with to share the company and the excitement!
    I think I read you have an F2? I don't know if that would handle black sand very well, but it wont hurt to try. Maybe if you had a DD coil it could make a difference too? Only way to tell is to try.
    Then we can learn together. We will have to plan an outing some time

Do you guys have the permit the DNR says your sapost to have or do you guys just go out and do your thing. Im not sure if i should get one or if its not a big deal at the parks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe the permit you are referring to is for DNR controlled lands such as state parks or public hunting grounds. If I learn differently, I will post it here

Here are the links to the laws pertaining to metal detecting in Wisconsin. This is not a complete list, but a google search pops up tons of resources to look through. Remember, many towns have their own laws limiting or even banning metal detecting here in Wisconsin. Green Bay for example requires a permit to detect public places, while Cedarburg bans detecting completely on public property. There is NO detecting allowed on Wisconsin state or federal lands except by special permit to search for a specific item. Hope this helps!

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/rules/metaldetect.html
    http://www.mdhtalk.org/cf/city-regulation.cfm?st=WI
    Last edited by Digger_O'Dell; 08-02-2015 at 08:03 PM.
    Equipment: