Thread: Past few hunts: Copper #12 and more relics!

Past few hunts: Copper #12 and more relics!

I haven't found any notable new hunting spots lately so I've been rehitting a lot of my old locations to detect areas I hadn't covered well or explore other possible sites in those same patches of woods. Back on July 3rd, I headed to CT to meet up with OxShoe, Del, and Trooper Bri. Unfortunately OxShoe couldn't make it so it was Just Dan, Bri, and myself. We hit a few extremely old cellar holes but none of us did particularly well. Dan found a nice colonial button and indian head which were pretty much the best finds of the day. My best finds were a rolled up dandy button, ox knob, a bent up clad quarter, 1.5 musket balls, and 6.25 ox shoes . LOL. Well I still had a ton of fun, detecting is so much better when you are with others.
    Anyways, last Tuesday I headed back to the site where I dug the Indian and the copper in the same hole a few hunts ago. I concentrated around the two cellar holes as there is a ton of thin flat iron that sounds exactly the same as the good targets. Place is loaded with it but its been getting quieter each time I go there as I remove more of it. I got a nice sounding signal on the hillside close to the cellar that leads down to the river below and popped out my 2nd ever complete crotal bell! Still rings like the day it was lost. Not sure on the age as it doesn't have any design. Also got another early horse tact buckle, carriage break, a brass spoon fragment (I lost it), and the surprise find of the day, a Pewter Musket ball! Only my 2nd ever musket ball that I can confirm is made of Pewter and this one appears to be of a pretty large caliber. That basically wraps up that hunt.
    On Friday I made a long drive to a different part of Rhode Island to hit an area where I hadn't been since around Memorial day. The property is quite large and the cellars are extremely hard to get to as there are no trails. So far I have confirmed a total of 12 former home sites in these woods, all colonial era and all abandoned prior to the 1850's. Sadly, other people have beaten me to them and I am just picking up the leftovers. I made an almost two hour hike to a cellar hole I had been to before but had my batteries die before I could start swinging the coil. Of course that particular site turned out to be the most hunted out of all the places in the woods as I did not get a single non ferrous target anywhere close to the cellar hole. Rather then hanging at this cellar I decided to go a little south into the woods to hit a site I didn't spend a lot of time because there was a lot of trash there. Well on the way to the cellar hole I get a shallow 71-72 signal, expecting a shell casing but instead receive a nice colonial dandy button. I finally made it to the trashy cellar hole and got another shallow mid tone and was surprised to dig my 2nd ever cast drilled shank button from these woods. Only two inches or so down which is the same depth as most of the trash here. After digging a few pull tabs I moved away from the cellar hole and dug a pewter spoon handle. I then wandered to some stone walls and found another cellar hole very close by. Not much around the cellar so I moved behind to this small area with a bunch of small stone walls but far enough from the cellar so that I couldn't see it. Suddenly I start getting signals much more rapidly. Dug pewter shoe buckle frame fragment and several of buttons. Finally I got that sweet sounding high tone I'd been looking for and I pull a copper out of the hole. Its a King George 2, a little worn but not in bad condition. I couldn't get a date off of it but I was happy for my 12th copper of the year! I didn't stay much longer after as I was pretty exhausted and still had a long hike back. Not sure when I'll be going back to those woods but I am going to stick to the area where I got the majority of my targets the next time I do go. Overall, Happy hunting everyone! Name:  IMG_0444.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  30.2 KBName:  IMG_0445.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  32.7 KBName:  IMG_0446.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  31.5 KBName:  IMG_0447.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  36.3 KBName:  IMG_0448.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  32.1 KBName:  IMG_0449.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  40.1 KBName:  IMG_0375.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  145.2 KB
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

that day out two weeks ago was a tough one Jim , those cellars were pretty quiet . I am glad you did better at your next couple of sites and congrats on the copper , how were the bugs , pretty bad out your way too??

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    that day out two weeks ago was a tough one Jim , those cellars were pretty quiet . I am glad you did better at your next couple of sites and congrats on the copper , how were the bugs , pretty bad out your way too??

Dan
    Thanks Dan. The bugs were terrible. On Friday I probably put on bug spray at least 10 different times as I kept on sweating it off and they would return with a vengeance. Those dang horse flies wouldn't stop chasing me around until I actually sprayed them with bug spray. No ticks though so I'm happy for that.
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    that day out two weeks ago was a tough one Jim , those cellars were pretty quiet.
    Sorry about those sites, Those coordinates were given to me by a colleague who hikes and is on the look out for cellar holes for me.
    You know, I'm just starting to feel better now! I haven't been out since before that day. I'm glad you were able to grab some keepers...of all your finds I'd pick the crotal....I love those things. Congrats!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

That is a pretty nice KG and some lovely buttons.
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

WTH is in pic #2? I like the button in pic #4 with the green patina. Nice score on the KG II. It may be a little worn but doesn't look like it was crusty or toasted. Maybe I can use the link I found about crotal bells to determine something about yours. I am sure it was made in CT. PM me if there are any details or numbers on the bottom. Isaac has my cell if there are any other pics that may benefit determining the maker and date.... hate to make him a pass thru, tho.

Nice bunch of finds. Good looking Georgie and button. Crotal bells are always nice. I like finding those cart shaft tips also.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Congrats on the relics...especially the crotel bell. That is a nice KG copper too!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Nice finds, and it sounds like you were in good company.

I think it's funny that you guys up north get tired of digging ox shoes. That's kind of how I feel about Pabst Blue Ribbon cans. I was just last week doing research to see if ox were even used in my area. Turns out they were, but not many. I was able to narrow it down to within 25 miles from where I live. When/if I do ever dig one, I'll try to contain my happiness.
    Primary machine= Teknetics T2

2016 Totals
    Oldest Coin= 1920 Wheat Cent
    Silver Coins= 0
    Rings= 1

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    WTH is in pic #2? I like the button in pic #4 with the green patina. Nice score on the KG II. It may be a little worn but doesn't look like it was crusty or toasted. Maybe I can use the link I found about crotal bells to determine something about yours. I am sure it was made in CT. PM me if there are any details or numbers on the bottom. Isaac has my cell if there are any other pics that may benefit determining the maker and date.... hate to make him a pass thru, tho.
    That thing in pic #2 is a Pewter musket ball. Yes the ground hasn't been kind to it over the years. I'll check the crotal bell carefully but I think its plain with no details. Thanks the KG is in pretty good shape, not corroded just worn

Quote Originally Posted by RIdirtdigger View Post
    That thing in pic #2 is a Pewter musket ball. I'll check the crotal bell carefully but I think its plain with no details.
    ...The grey areas made it look like swirls of quarts and for some reason there seems to be no depth perception to the pic so it looks like it could pass for a button (versus a sphere shape). But Ok, now I know.

There's not even a size for the crotal? Wow. The square shank may be the key to figuring maker. Idk. Figured there might be one initial on the bottom at least with a size.

WTG Drew! Love the finds!

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    a colleague who hikes and is on the look out for cellar holes for me.
    Are you willing to hire him out, would save me a TON of research
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album