Thread: Living the dream in New York

Living the dream in New York

I'm in a little town northwest of Albany NY this week working with one of our customers. I wrapped up my project around lunch today so I went out for a hunt. I have to say that detectorists in New York have it made! All week long I have driven through neighborhoods filled with awesome early 1900s and late 1800s homes, daydreaming about the fantastic stuff that must be hiding in their yards. Anyway, I found an old high school that is now used as a public works building built in 1938. Really neat old building with a park out front. I didn't expect much because I assumed that the park would have been landscaped but I managed to pull a 1940 nickel and a 1943 P war nickel. My first.

After that I talked to the grounds keeper and he told me of another park across the river that was the grounds of an older school. I headed over there and it was a CladFest! I dug about $4.00 in clad in under an hour! In short order I had to start passing up pennies to look for silver which I found in the form of a ring which is 3 rings interconnected. I'm sure the wife will like it.
    I am so envious of New Yorkers now. In less than three hours I found $4.50 in clad, a war nickel and a 1940 nickel, a silver ring and Inspector Gadget! I have to work pretty hard in Kentucky to bring home a haul like that.
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Whites VX3 with Sunray Probe, 10x12 SEF, 8x6 SEF, 10dd, 6x10Eclipse, 4x6 Eclipse, Lesche digger and Garrett Pro Pointer.

Nice haul!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

That inspector Gadget ring alone was worth the trip.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

nice. there are thousands of neighborhoods and parks in this area. how long are you in the area?

Quote Originally Posted by chief5709 View Post
    nice. there are thousands of neighborhoods and parks in this area. how long are you in the area?
    I'm heading home today Chief but I have to say, I really enjoyed my hunt and seeing such beautiful old neighborhoods. I've never hunted parks with so many high VDI targets. I may have to relocate, for the summers anyway.
    Whites VX3 with Sunray Probe, 10x12 SEF, 8x6 SEF, 10dd, 6x10Eclipse, 4x6 Eclipse, Lesche digger and Garrett Pro Pointer.

Congrats on the war nickel and the silver rings. Yes, the eastern US is the old country, but I'm sure with a little time you'll find some sweeter spots in KY as well. If you want to find tons of clad, hit old picnic areas, or areas where they hold farmers/flea markets. These spots often give up a ton of modern clad and a few pieces of modern silver bling. The older stuff certainly requires a bit more work.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Elite Member
    Nice to see a silver war nickel as I have only found 1 this year. Nice finds. I notice in Wisconsin a lot of old schools being used as City buildings or rentals. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

looks like a great old neighborhood and the parks like that could have just about anything hiding in them. congrats on the war nickle and the silver ring
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by wisconsin digger View Post
    Nice to see a silver war nickel as I have only found 1 this year. Nice finds. I notice in Wisconsin a lot of old schools being used as City buildings or rentals. WD
    I have noticed that as well here in Wisconsin. The elementary school I attended is now town government offices. I see a lot of older schools in Milwaukee are also now government or government affiliated agencies usually for some type of social services. The rest, mostly either torn down or just abandoned.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

Nice group of finds.
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronandari View Post
    I'm heading home today Chief but I have to say, I really enjoyed my hunt and seeing such beautiful old neighborhoods. I've never hunted parks with so many high VDI targets. I may have to relocate, for the summers anyway.
    If you're in the area again maybe I can get you out of the parks and into some fields.