Thread: Gold ring found and returned

Gold ring found and returned

Not sure which forum to post this in, but here it is. About a month ago I received an email from someone who lost their wedding ring. He was pretty sure he knew where he lost it and asked if I might be able to help. I told him sure and I might be able to meet him early Saturday to look around. Turns out a few of my metal detecting buddies wanted to hit a favorite park so I cancelled the gold ring search and told him I would try and get there soon. I had a little time Monday morning so I went down to look around. I had never been to this field before, but he gave me a pretty good idea where it might have been lost. It didn't take that long and out pops a gold wedding band. I immediately gave him a call and asked him when he got married. He said June 20th 1992. Although he lived near the field, he was at work and his wife wasn't home either. I left it in an envelope for him at a nearby real estate office that's part of the company I work for. He picked it up and got back in touch with me and told me he'd like to send something to say thanks and asked for my address. Below is what he sent along with a photo of the ring. The restaurant the gift certificate is for is one of the best around although I've only eaten there a few times due to the cost. The have the best Grand Marnier souffle with Zabaglione Cream on the planet, but the cost is $16, a bit pricey for just dessert, but worth every penny. Turned out to be a great day for him and me.

Name:  20150616_122533 ring date.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  34.3 KB

Name:  letter.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  46.5 KB

Name:  gift certificate.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  31.8 KB
    Best Finds for 2015

1871 British Gold half sovereign
    1786 New Jersey copper

1786 Vermont Landscape
    2 - 1787 Connecticut coppers
    4 King George II halfpence
    2 King George II Farthings
    3 Large cents
    5 - 1864 2 Cent Pieces
    1857 Seated Dime
    4 Barber Dimes
    Standing Liberty Quarter
    21 Addt'l Silver Dimes
    8 War Nickels
    31 Indians
    5 Shield nickels & 8 V nickels
    Victorian Silver Match Case c.1880
    29 Gram 14k gold bracelet

Oh sweet recovery! And a sweet reward too! Enjoy it!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Great story all around! Nice work.
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

Very nice Don, keep up the good deeds!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

That's wonderful, Don! Kudos to you!
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

great story Don , I commend your actions and helping out someone in need I 'm glad your the recipient of such a kind and generous reward.

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Congratulations on your return. 100 Karma points have been deposited into your account.

PS: Grand Marnier souffle is my favorite dessert.
    If you want your spouse to listen and pay strict attention to every word you say, talk in your sleep.

That's pretty sweet. Sometimes you know the general spot where you lost something, once you figure out you lost it. That notion makes me wonder why some don't go back to find what they lost....but it's all the better for us detectorists that they don't. I have yet to be asked to find someone's lost ring for them.