Thread: View from my hotel

View from my hotel

I'm in San Antonio this week and was pleasantly surprised with the view from my hotel room. You can only imagine what cool finds might be in the ground there. Of course The Alamo is a shrine and I wouldn't dream of detecting there but you can't help but wonder about the story some of those relics might tell if they could.

Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

thats very cool Jeff , to be so close to that historic place! I hope you get time to visit and take some great pictures
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

I would have never "pictured" the Alamo in the middle of a city... Hope you have time to visit it.

Nice view! I was surprised at how small the Alamo is when I was there. I imagined a much larger fort but it was still fascinating to see.
    Whites VX3 with Sunray Probe, 10x12 SEF, 8x6 SEF, 10dd, 6x10Eclipse, 4x6 Eclipse, Lesche digger and Garrett Pro Pointer.

San Antonio is a great place to visit. Might also try the "river walk". There are great eating and drinking places to be found there.
    If you want your spouse to listen and pay strict attention to every word you say, talk in your sleep.

I recently saw a show about the Alamo on the History Channel. During the siege, the original complex was much larger and spread out. The "last stand" was in that little bit that is preserved. An interesting aside is that the set they built for John Wayne's movie The Alamo" is a ways out of town and it gets as many visitors as the original!
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

Dan, big sign when I walked in "No pictures"

Chief, it is an odd sight. I didn't imagine it downtown in a big city !

Ron, yep, I always imagined it to be bigger!

Rudy, the river walk was very cool and I certainly did sample the ales at more than a few spots along the way. It was a busy place during the week. They were saying it is really hopping on the weekends.

SeaBee Ron, yeah, the original site was really much bigger but the City squeezed in on it over the years. Still a small bit of the original buildings left. They had some very cool artifacts such as one of Davey Crocket's rifles and of course a "Bowie" knife owned by the man himself. You can see it all easily under an hour but it is a pretty good way to spend an hour.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

I hope you got to eat at Biga on the Banks, on the San Antonio River Walk. Arguably the best eats in San Antonio.
    If you want your spouse to listen and pay strict attention to every word you say, talk in your sleep.