Thread: Good start to August. New Cellar hole gives up some good finds.

Good start to August. New Cellar hole gives up some good finds.

July was a tough month for me. The finds were scarce and productive cellars holes are getting very tough to come by. The calendar finally changed to August and I was hoping it would bring some better luck for me. So far, it has. I headed up to Northern RI on Friday to explore a very remote site I had found a few weeks earlier using satellite. On the way there I noticed some stone rocks piles and decided to investigate follow them for a little bit. Good decision for me as I stumbled upon a cellar hole I never knew was there. No sign of obvious dug holes or surface iron. I was pretty excited to detect it. I marked the location on my phone and then went on to find the other site which also looked promising. On Saturday morning I headed to the cellar I had stumbled upon the day before. I saw what looked like old dig holes but they must have done a lousy job as I found two buttons right off the bat on the lip of the cellar hole. Ended up with 7 buttons on the day. The best find however was the biggest crotal bell I've found yet. It is marked "3" and has the initials "NS" on the bottom This refers to the maker Seth J. North who lived from 1779-1851 and made bells from around 1800-1840. This bell according to what I read is from the early 1800's. Still jingles like the day it was lost. Right after I found the bell it started to thunder and a quick check of the radar revealed a storm was approaching. I didn't want to leave but I decided to play it safe and come back the next day. Today (Sunday) I returned to the cellar with high expectations of pulling at least one copper. Well I exceeded my expectations as I got two! Dug a great looking 1787 CT Copper and a really nice 1818 Matron head. That makes coppers #13 and #14 for the year. I don't know how somebody missed the matron head as it was only one inch down and was a screaming signal. I honestly expected it to be something modern and was very surprised to see a thick copper disk. Also dug a weird brass tube thing. I decided to give the other cellar hole a try so I hiked over to it and starting detecting. Only was there about 20 minutes when I started to feel fatigued and decided it was time to call it a day. In that time I dug an umbrella slider and a really tiny copper nickel disk that I originally thought was a counterfeit gold dollar piece but now I don't what it is. It could just be a small button with no sign of the shank. Further analysis is needed. Overall I like the way August is going for me and look forward to hitting those sites even more. GLName:  IMG_0907.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  78.5 KBName:  IMG_0904.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  144.3 KBName:  IMG_0903.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  140.3 KBName:  IMG_0908.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  37.1 KBName:  IMG_0895.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  53.0 KB and HH!
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

That's a beautiful coin man!!!! And congrats on all the buttons and the bell too. It was a very nice weekend of cellar hole hunting for ya bud
    I <3 colonial relics!

Great finds Jim , I was waiting for you to score some goodies !! you were certainly over due please post up a couple of close ups (with a light source casting across the face of the coin ) so we can attribute the variety. hey post a picture of the brass tube , is there a seem along its length??

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Yeah the tube thing is very particular... would be interesting to know what it is!
    I <3 colonial relics!

Additional Photos

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  65.2 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  73.1 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  41.7 KB
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Very nice finds! I too have had a rough year scoring productive cellar holes. Be careful out there, sounds like heat exhaustion was setting in. The heat & humidity really make for poor air quality.

HH,
    Roger
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Jim , this looks very close to the variety 32.1-X.3
    http://www.coinfacts.com/colonial_co...32.01_X.03.htm
    , not a rare one but its still a very nice coin and looks to be in exceptional shape .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Holy cow jim when I got that pic I couldn't believe it! Increbible CT!! :0
    Detectors: dual wield at-pros, t2
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    oldest US silver- 1832 capped bust dime
    "Swords into plowshares"

Some nice coppers. That CT is sharp ! Nice bell, buttons....great hunt.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Now that is a great pair of coppers, great condition both of them!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

nice sites and i thought maybe that tube was a ram rod pipe.but not sure now after seeing the 2nd photo
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Hey those are some nice coppers. Too bad there isn't an easy way to determine the miller on the CT. I know information exists on the internet as well as some of the books, but to go back and forth...it's almost the same as going to WebMD and saying 'Hey I have these symptoms too'.

Maybe your bell is a bit older than the one I found. I was gonna say you might be able to date it between 1832 and 1850, but apparently it needs the '&' to be from that foundry. Lacking the '&' but still having N and S might be from a different foundry.. and you can knock off 3 years from the date range. 1803-1840.
    http://classicbells.com/info/bellMakers.html

Dave I thought ramrod pipe too.
    I <3 colonial relics!

Nice detail. Great day out
    Dig Colonial or Go Home

Personal Website www.cttodd.com

I'm still waiting to find a large crotal
    That place is easy on the coins....it seems to me that any CT copper with a date is rare Nice job James!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    You mean I/We got something Drew don't got? Now we can start a club that Drew ain't in.

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    That place is easy on the coins....it seems to me that any CT copper with a date is rare Nice job James!
    Yes Drew this place seems to have a good soil for coins. It may be because it is located on higher ground above the swamps. Place hasn't seen much action since it was abandoned as I haven't gotten a single pull tab or can and I've only gotten about 3-4 shot gun shells.

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    You mean I/We got something Drew don't got? Now we can start a club that Drew ain't in.

Well I wouldn't want to be in a club that would have me anyway
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Very nice LC and bell. That CT copper is beautiful ! Congrats
    Follow my Facebook Page : A Metal Detecting World