Thread: Trx pinpointer waterproof? Not really.

Trx pinpointer waterproof? Not really.

I have and love the trx. Although the last couple of days my friend coin chaser told me that the whites trx is waterproof from their announcement. Since we have been hitting up the local river he decided to try it. I told him I wanted to film it because a lot of other forums say only rain proof and not submersible. But he beat me out there the other morning and tried it and in first few minutes it died. Along with another guy he hunted with his died also. He contacted whites and they said send it in. Not sure if there was a large batch that is not waterproof. Did not try mine yet because I don't want to be without one. But maby I should just so I can send it back and receive one that is waterproof.... Any one else have theirs die after a dunk in water???

Just got my TRX a couple weeks ago and I have had it in rain, and a lot of wet grass. I even had it submerged in a deep hole that filled from saturated soil after days of rain. Still going strong without issue!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

Just an update. Been a year and a half since the last post. Been using the TRX on every hunt including water hunts. It's been submerged countless times and is still going strong.
    Equipment:

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Just an update. Been a year and a half since the last post. Been using the TRX on every hunt including water hunts. It's been submerged countless times and is still going strong.
    The TRX is a pin pointer correct? I purchased a White Coin Master with pin pointer built in and its been very accurate but I've been wondering if I should by aTRX when the time comes have another extra 150 bucks or so and when I've found something worth finding to make my detector I bought worth buying I've been thinking about selling it all ready but like now been thinking about buying another item for it as is spring and I've been thinking about gong to the lake beaches to see what I can unearth.. I'm glad to hear you have had good luck and progress with you TRX for now I'll keep using my coin master pin pointer

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rickcintron View Post
    The TRX is a pin pointer correct? I purchased a White Coin Master with pin pointer built in and its been very accurate but I've been wondering if I should by aTRX when the time comes have another extra 150 bucks or so and when I've found something worth finding to make my detector I bought worth buying I've been thinking about selling it all ready but like now been thinking about buying another item for it as is spring and I've been thinking about gong to the lake beaches to see what I can unearth.. I'm glad to hear you have had good luck and progress with you TRX for now I'll keep using my coin master pin pointer

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum!

Do you mean that your White's Coin Master has an attached inline target probe? Or does it just have a pinpoint mode using the standard coil? Almost all detectors these days have a pinpoint mode that uses the standard coil on the machine to find the center of the target before you start digging.

A pinpointer is a separate handheld device that helps you to locate the target in the dirt after you've started digging. They can also be used to locate a very shallow target near the surface. I don't hear too many people talking about the TRX pinpointer these days, but maybe the water guys are still using them because they're submersible. I don't detect in the water myself. My Minelab E-Trac has a Sun Ray inline target probe, but I also have a Garrett Pro-Pointer (aka "carrot") that I sometimes use. It is also submersible up to 10 feet.
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Here's the most popular pinpointers out there:

Whites TRX
    Name:  trx66.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  111.7 KB
    It's known to be "chatty", but very sensitive and has a lot of range. Drawback I just discovered is it really doesn't like being submerged in salt water. Probably sees the water as a target.

Garrett pro pointer (Orange is waterproof, black isnt)
    Name:  garrett-pro-pointer-at-vs-garrett-pro-pointer-01.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  32.8 KB
    The Orange "Garrett carrot" is probably the most popular. Not very long range, but quite tough and hard to kill. I personally don't like the side detect which has caused me to miss the target quite often.

Minelab profind 35
    Name:  PRO-FIND-35-Pinpointer-Hi-Res-500x500.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  12.7 KB
    The latest and greatest on the market. I don't have this one (yet), but it's supposed to have a ferrous identifying tone to help discriminate the good targets better.
    Equipment: