Thread: Complete Knee Buckle with moving pins and more relics!

Complete Knee Buckle with moving pins and more relics!

This morning I headed back to the cellar hole I did well at last weekend but this time I invited a fellow detectorist who I met at D.I.N.E. named Jarrod. We had already gone on one hunt together previously but didn't do so well so I was hoping we would fare better this time. It turns out we did. Weather was very nice this morning, not humid, cooler, and very little bugs. We were at the cellar hole by 7:30 am and started swinging. Less than a minute in I got a great signal near a rock. I don't know how I missed it but when I heard it I knew it was gonna be something good. Out pops my 2nd ever complete knee buckle! The best part about this one is the pins still move! You don't see that very often especially after being in the ground for so long. We stayed for a couple hours here and dug some other relics. I got a flat treble gilt button that rang up like a copper, a drilled piece of brass, a tombac shoe buckle frame fragment, and some lead. Jarrod got three nice buttons with full shanks. We decided to try out the other cellar hole that I had only spent about 20 minutes at last week and dug some targets. There weren't as many targets as I was hoping there to be but Jarrod got some nice relics included a brass wedding band, toe tap, and a brass object that looked like it had some cursive writing on it but it was to caked with dirt to read in the field. I got another umbrella slider and a lantern piece. That was it for the day and we called it quits around lunch time. Its nice to head home knowing nobody got skunked. Both sites have a lot of vegetation that limits swinging area so I'm hoping to hit the sites again later in the year when it dies off. There's gotta be more out there. Its a lot more fun detecting with someone else then it is detecting by yourself. Glad we both were able to meet up.
    On Friday I went for an "express hunt" at a cellar hole I've hit a million times and ended up digging two conical silver plated buttons in the same hole. They were under a tree root so maybe I was too lazy to dig them before. Idk. I've heard they are pretty old but not sure on the exact age.
    Overall, happy hunting everyone!Name:  IMG_0992.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  49.3 KBName:  IMG_0997.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  58.3 KBName:  IMG_1003.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  94.8 KBName:  IMG_1006.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  34.6 KBName:  IMG_1005.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  35.2 KBName:  IMG_1007.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  27.4 KBName:  IMG_1008.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  29.5 KB
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

sweet knee buckle Jim always a special find when they move freely after their long dirt napthe silver plated "cone" buttons are cool and something you don't see very often at all. whats the larger cone shaped piece ?? any better picture of it ??
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Awesome hunt. Never seen those cone buttons before.
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    sweet knee buckle Jim always a special find when they move freely after their long dirt napthe silver plated "cone" buttons are cool and something you don't see very often at all. whats the larger cone shaped piece ?? any better picture of it ??
    Thanks for the reply! I think it's just a lantern related part Dan. They both came out of the same hole.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Congrats on the beautiful buckle James! The weather certainly has been delightful. Few more weeks!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Congrats on the beautiful buckle James! The weather certainly has been delightful. Few more weeks!
    Thanks Drew. Yes the weathers been great

This buckle IS a beauty. Unique buttons too! Nice hunt
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Nice buckle. esp being complete. From the second picture you took, the 'cone' shaped piece doesn't looks so. Is one end capped? Just curious because the piece I found this summer near where I picked up that strange large two piece button had a capped end and had similar markings around it. Like 2/3 there were a few lines around it.

I got a big case of envy on the buckle.....but in a good way!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album