Thread: Cleared One Up, One more Mystery

Cleared One Up, One more Mystery

I've been looking at the blob on this button for a while now hoping it would just jump out at me...and it did!
    It's three dogs at a kill....see it?? I think Isaac thought it was a sportsman's button and that's right on.
    Now one more to ID...the pewter cast collar disk looking thing.
    Dan, I found these at that last site we were at.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Well I have to admit that 3 dogs is more plausible than a scorpion.

That pewter disc has got me stumped ??
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    That pewter disc has got me stumped ??
    Hmm. I concur. I can see the couple of rings on the front for a design. Is this as cleaned as you can get it? Esp with it being pewter...? You can see the casting line on the back but the blob portion on the back. It looks quite big like it was a rivet. Could it have been a cufflink (with a thick dia post) that broke?

Thanks guys, I don't know Jim...It isn't getting any cleaner with a toothbrush. It is kinda big for a cufflink.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Drew , is it possible the back "nub" is actually the cast shank thats squashed flat ?? give us a sideview please.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

It doesn't look like that Dan, it looks like it was made that way. I swear I see letters in the circles.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Yeah it looks like letters or a design between a few circles. Obvi I can't make them out. Idk... I am not giving any advice but there are some options. The soft brass bristle brush might bring out the high spots. It says you can clean using a past of flour, salt, and vinegar. But obvi those will degrade the item. Idk if you are trying to preserve it hence why it is not advice. Have you used a magnifier on the front? I'd think a scope would be better if you have one at your disposal.