Thread: Coin Id

Coin Id

I'm sitting around waiting for a storm so I started organizing my latest finds...I came across this coin and labeled it "171? KG1" I don't remember where/when I found it but took it out because I thought I could clean it better and maybe get a date. I think I now see the last number but was wondering if you folks could confirm it. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

my eyes can't make out the last number , sorry Drew.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Thanks Dan I actually posted the wrong pic...do you see part of a 9 as the last number?
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Drew is it considerably smaller then an average half penny ??

It is the same size as that 1724 I found the day you found that silver knee buckle ...about 27mm
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Looks like 1716 to me.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    Looks like 1716 to me.
    I thought it could be 1916 also Tony, but I can't find one from that year with Britannia on the back.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Now I'm kind of leaning towards 1724.

Name:  20140911_1724_halfpenny.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  56.9 KB
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Now that you say that I can clearly see the 24 under the mess. Earlier I was literally holding it up next to a 1724 to see how big it was
    I'm wondering if that crud will come off or anymore cleaning will just erase what is left. Thanks again for your eagle eyes and help!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Now that you say that I can clearly see the 24 under the mess. Earlier I was literally holding it up next to a 1724 to see how big it was
    I'm wondering if that crud will come off or anymore cleaning will just erase what is left. Thanks again for your eagle eyes and help!
    Lifetime totals:

they did make 1717 , 1718 and 1719 , but I think these were called "dumps" as they were noticeably smaller diameter coins . then in 1719 they were the enlarged to the normal sized half pennies we usually find.

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    they did make 1717 , 1718 and 1719 , but I think these were called "dumps" as they were noticeably smaller diameter coins . then in 1719 they were the enlarged to the normal sized half pennies we usually find.
    I bet they're worth a pretty penny, or farthing.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew