Thread: Please Don't Judge Me...

Please Don't Judge Me...

I have a confession... I watched Digger's last night. I know, I know... but it was filmed in my town and had to watch. Besides, I'm friends with the town historian who was featured in the episode. Their first location, the Marshall house, is less than a mile from my house.

I have to admit I've watched a couple episodes on youtube myself. It's just for the entertainment factor when I'm stuck at work when I would rather be out detecting. But, it's gotta be interesting to see your town and places you are familiar with on TV. Even better if it's not the national news! LOL
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

i watch it all the time !!!!! in fact i record it

Brian please tell us they got skunked at one of your old stompin grounds .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Brian please tell us they got skunked at one of your old stompin grounds .
    Long story short... I was contacted by their producer last year looking for "locations of interest" for back up in case a property owner backed out. I was like really you want me to give up my spots...

They found the typical musketballs, couple coppers, etc. My daughter was watching with me and she looked over with a dead serious face "are you kidding me, I found two musketballs and a LC and I was only 10" But, it was neat to see your town and Sean (the historian is a friend of mine) on tv.

I watch it often.

I watch it too. I like it better now that they openly use an archaeologist to document the finds. I could do without the monkey shenanigans when they find something really cool though. And they're not shy about digging pretty big holes. Must be to speed the process along. The places the producers find for them to hunt are fascinating.
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

Here's a link to the Marshall House. There is a lot of history and one of only three buildings still standing from that time period.

http://themarshallhouse.org/

Just think it almost burned down in the late 1990's. I was on the first due engine for a basement fire there. I knew the history of the house was significant and my crew did a great job of not only putting out the fire but also minimizing the water and smoke damage. It was kinda surreal working in the dark smoke filled basement knowing what took place there in 1777...

What a great link. I knew nothing of any of this so it was a fascinating read.
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

I would judge you harshly for your depravity, but I have to admit guilt my self

I agree 100% with Ska. The use of the archaeologist makes it more watchable. They seem a lot less dopey. I don't swear at the TV nearly as much as I used to when I watched them in the past.

It's is cool they came to your town though.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

They at one time (maybe a couple of years ago) had their "PR" people talking to someone at the Pequot Museum here in Connecticut where I had been active in a few projects. Well ,Their executives were interested in the progress and history of the project and interested in having a show taped at one of the 1637 Pequot War Battle sites with "Ringy and KG". A few of the upper Museum staff asked a couple of us hobbyist that they respected what we thought , we all agreed it would probably be a huge mistake and that not only did they discredit us on some levels but they could also do this to the archaeologists or the project. The museum turned them down .

Dan

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar
    I have to say I'm not a big fan but a coworker at the firehouse reminded me that there was a couple new episodes coming on. So I tuned in and caught the episodes that were mentioned above. I also like the new format with the archeologists on site, now if they could just stop the silly antics.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

The antics are necessary to "liven" things up a bit. Imagine how boring a show about your last hunt would be! A half hour program showcasing my two I.H. day and pouch full of pulltabs and beaver tails would not last for a second show.

My biggest problem with the original shows was the values they put on the finds. They were way off base. I notice that now they are using the waterproof pinpointers too.
    2018 silver coins=4
    Silver rings=
    Gold rings=
    Wheats=11
    I.H.=
    Buff=
    Clad=$21.31
    Dollar coins=2
    CTX3030, DFX w/Bigfoot, Beachhunter300, E-Trac.
    Hunting Michigan wet or dry!
    Oldest coin ever = King George II half penny 1729-1754
    Oldest U.S. coin = 1834 L.C.
    Oldest silver ever = 1839 seated half dime

Quote Originally Posted by RaZR View Post
    The antics are necessary to "liven" things up a bit. Imagine how boring a show about your last hunt would be! A half hour program showcasing my two I.H. day and pouch full of pulltabs and beaver tails would not last for a second show.
    True but these shows usually have a week or more to video finds at some premium sites and locations , you and I would have a lot of good things to show off in a week of straight time detecting RaZR . the antics are stupid and a gimmick for the people with little knowledge of what we do .

Quote Originally Posted by RaZR View Post
    My biggest problem with the original shows was the values they put on the finds. They were way off base. I notice that now they are using the waterproof pinpointers too.
    I agree completely with you there , the very unrealistic over price on everything they found was embarrassing to the hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    True but these shows usually have a week or more to video finds at some premium sites and locations , you and I would have a lot of good things to show off in a week of straight time detecting RaZR .

Maybe you could, my weeks worth would still be pretty lame.

I would love the chance to detect where I might find a 1600-1700 coin. What's your backyard look like?
    2018 silver coins=4
    Silver rings=
    Gold rings=
    Wheats=11
    I.H.=
    Buff=
    Clad=$21.31
    Dollar coins=2
    CTX3030, DFX w/Bigfoot, Beachhunter300, E-Trac.
    Hunting Michigan wet or dry!
    Oldest coin ever = King George II half penny 1729-1754
    Oldest U.S. coin = 1834 L.C.
    Oldest silver ever = 1839 seated half dime

Veteran Member leslie(nova scotia)'s Avatar
    Great for the town. Watched that Rick savage fellow a few times......Lord love a duck youz I just had to shake me head!
    From the land of the Bluenose.....life is a beach at least till the tide comes in and the Bud is all gone. Swish and dig at the drop of a dime!

I caught the Digger's show again the other night. They were detecting around a WWII German POW camp somewhere in GA or LA I think. It was an interesting program but they went and ruined it with their silly antics. I think it is at the point where even THEY are embarrassed by it.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."