Thread: First silver with the new machine was same coin as first machine.

First silver with the new machine was same coin as first machine.

Things have been a little tough since the last bit of finds. I wasn't gonna post for a handful of wheats at my friend's house. That house says it was built 1915, but all the houses near there have brick foundations. Across the street is a big tree, so I know it's an older area. This place I needed to use the gf's GTI due to the EMI.

This previous weekend I did get to an area with a few cellar holes. Unfortunately I came up with the typical bullet casings and shotgun shells. I parked on the far end and hiked the long way in. I was shaking my head walking in and seeing a truck coming down the road and then two motor bikes. I should have just driven in from the other way and skipped the hiking. ugh. I tried checking one area that looked suspect via the aerials. But it was just a place used for some camping. A ways down I came to a cellar. I checked around it. The growth was bad plus all the downed trees near it made it hard to swing around and almost impossible to reach the lip. Across the road I thought I saw a pen. Turns out it was a grave site with three graves. I took a pic of one. Maybe some who have been to this place will recognize it. North of the pen was another wall. I tried checking around it. The finds were just too hard to find. I walked back toward the car as I knew there were stone walls back that way. The stone walls actually line a separate property with another grave at its edge. It currently has people putting change on the gravestone. The cellar was pounded. Across the road, tho, was a small depression with some stone work. I checked near it. Somewhere by there I found a buckle spill. Two slide style buckles. No one has identified them yet. I am guessing for a suspender or a late 1800s/ early 1900s replacement for those small pants buckles.

Name:  Gravestone 1847.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  36.9 KBName:  Dual Buckles.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  61.7 KB

This weekend I didn't really get much detecting in either. BUT, the new machine had arrived on Friday. Saturday I used the gf's GTI in my back yard. I wasn't expecting much beyond clad. I was just doing it for the heck of it. The house was built '59. The oldest on the street is '34. Every parcel has a mound around the foundation and a valley on the property line. So I wrote it off knowing any old soil if it was used as farmland in the 17/1800s it was covered now and the only finds would be just newer than the house. Turns out the back yard was hiding something like 60 cents in clad.. NO QUARTERS. There was a spot that used to be a coy pond which is visible in one of the older satellite views. Years ago it was on google, until google updated their map and now it shows what it is. My neighbors said the coy pond was filled in and now there is a concrete walk. The ground is definitely darker dirt, which came from the back wooded area. I took out the new White's Treasurepro and went over the same area. First target right in the area which was filled was a 1945 wheat. Less than half of the area I covered with the GTI, is what I did with the Treasurepro. Came up with 4 more clad pieces. Yesterday I did some errands after work. While I was home I had some time. In the back of my mind I was thinking "maybe with that many coins from the back yard I might actually be able to pull some silver from the front yard." Bam.. first silver with the machine was from my own yard. Same GW silver quarter as was the first silver I found with the TR. The TR got a 1941 GW. This machine got a 1940. Surprisingly, there wasn't as much clad in the front as was in the back. There were trees in the front I'm sure kids were climbing. And trash targets in the back was 4 pc, while the front came up with like 10 pcs. I went to a local school which I noticed otw to doing the errands. The school wasn't old but it was near some early 1900 houses. It was graded and filled, most definitely, but aside from a handful of clad I pulled up an interesting pendant (or fob). I am happy with the machine and hoping to see what it can do at a cellar hole. I might actually vid it. Lol.
    Name:  Wheat Wash Toy.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  40.4 KBName:  1940 Wash.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  61.8 KBName:  Pendant 2.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  85.5 KBName:  Pendant.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  55.7 KB

That's funny Jim..it was hiding in plain sight!!! Good finds and congrats on the new machine.

Love digging that silver. Congratulations.

Interesting finds, nice story!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

That's cool about the same first silver with each machine.
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

Quote Originally Posted by Skamaniac View Post
    That's cool about the same first silver with each machine.
    I thought it was kinda crazy that it happened that way.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE54 View Post
    That's funny Jim..it was hiding in plain sight!!! Good finds and congrats on the new machine.
    Lol. I am possibility thinking it could have been dropped by the mailman. I'm the one that's door-door, not curbside delivery. Prob just enough wear on it to be in circulation for 19+ years. Got a little luck and if I never even bothered, I never would have found it. I was spoiled tho..with my yard. It was much cleaner than a public place. It might take some time to learn (even tho it's simple setup). Just learning how it reacts.

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Interesting finds, nice story!
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaindigger View Post
    Love digging that silver. Congratulations.
    Silver is always welcome. Thanks

Always get excited when the silver comes out of the hole. Congrats.
    2017 Total:
    Mercs= 2
    Wash=1
    Seated=1
    total slivers=4
    Wheats 8.
    Indians=4 (1864,1865,1888)
    LG cents=1
    1 Sliver Pendent, 2= 3-ringers, 2 tokens

Most Valuable find ever: 1834 C.B. dime, Oldest 1776 1/2 Reale, Biggest 1822 CB half.
    Detectors: E-trac and F75LTD2

Elite Member
    You have to love those old names "sylvanus" never heard that one before. Nice finds WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

I actually decided to do the yard again. This time I put the big coil on the gti. The front yard had a bit more hiding. The notables were two more wheats, 1952 and a 57D came up. Then I try the back yard again, which I didn't cover much of. Second signal in I start to dig. As soon as I flip the plug, I see things all moving around. I hit a wasp nest. Got bit on my forearm so I'm running away. Stopped 20 ft away and I still got bit on the shin so I ran to the corner of the yard with one in my hair. Lucky that one didn't get me. I tried the spray and got bit one more time. Had to be innovative and use the roof rake to drag the detector back toward me (which was on still so would die if I left it there). I was a big boy and played with some fire to eradicate those suckers.

Maybe if it was in the woods I'd use a large branch to get the stuff from a distance. Maybe evaluate if the signal was worth coming back later with provisions and safer clothing.