Thread: Another cellar, not completely pounded but some odd items

Another cellar, not completely pounded but some odd items

Yesterday I went up to try the new machine at a cellar hole. I did the normal extrapolation procedure: overlaying the old map onto the new satellite view to get a general spot for the house, and checking the historical aerials, ect. That stuff made me think it was at the north east corner of the property. As I drove by, I did see some stone work off to the right as I was driving looking for the pull-off. I thought it was a longer hike so the cellar would be less touched being farther from parking. Now I think it was just the stone wall property line. I did find the pull off and a short path...and the cellar hole. It was right there with wooden benches. Immediately I thought it was gonna be pounded. I did manage a lantern piece by the front lip. Somewhere by what I felt was a depression from old driveway I pulled up a conical ring for a lantern. And somewhere near barn stone retaining wall was another lantern. Up by the back corner of the hole I got a ladybug suspender clip. It looks modern so idk if it was dropped by someone visiting the preserve, or the farmstead lasted until the mid-20th century. I found another suspender clip near a big dead tree. Up near the back of the hole I got an overload signal (the first two machines don't have an overload, only the whites does). Anyone can confirm it as a clock weight? The back is a tiny bit dented. I am not sure why it isn't brass. Weighs approx. 3.6 Lbs + 0.1 Lbs. I think the small piece which is really deteriorated is a buckle. It was out in an area I found ceramics so I think there was a trash pit. I have no idea on the spike item. I did mention this was a farmstead, as you can see from the nicely preserved ox shoe (for size reference), but it is not broken and doesn't look like it attaches anywhere. Any confirmations/ideas?
    Name:  Odds.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  76.7 KBName:  Clock Weight.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  38.1 KBName:  Weight side.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  57.3 KBName:  Tiny Buckle.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  39.4 KB
    The suspender clips:
    Name:  Dual suspenders.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  61.9 KB
    Name:  Suspender.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  63.5 KB

My first thought was a clock weight on that big hunk, Jim. I wouldn't guess that your clip is modern, my guess would be earlier than 1920....but you know how I am at IDing stuff ...so take it with a grain of salt. You have to treat that scythe blade or it will rot away...I've rotted a few
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Well, I'd def agree on the broken suspender clip. Definitely between 1860 and 1900. Judging by the two previous ones I pulled up and one was obvi dated 1876 by the centennial. It had a similar design. It is possible tho the lady bug one is 20's. I checked 1934 aerial again and it seems most of the 55 acres was reclaimed by woods again and some barns were surviving. The house was either engulfed by the trees or collapsed by then. Sure about scythe? Its thick. Like 1/2" thick with no taper. But then again...I haven't seen any olden scythe before other than the movies. And I think the one pic of Todd holding one.

A scythe should have more of a curve and is thin like a knife blade, which in essence it is. This looks to me more like a harrow tooth or something similar.
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

Quote Originally Posted by Skamaniac View Post
    This looks to me more like a harrow tooth or something similar.
    I do believe this would be the correct ID. Thanks. idk why I didn't think of it. Esp the place being originally a farm. Not sure how it was connected, however, because there are many different styles of harrow teeth. The spring-like ones look older, however.

Could the weight be for a gate? This isn't an exact match but it gives you an idea of what I am talking about
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    My wife does all the driving, I just hold the steering wheel!

Another possibility on your weight is a window sash weight.
    My wife does all the driving, I just hold the steering wheel!