Thread: Restored Token?

Restored Token?

Hi guys,

It's been a while since I've posted and I've found some great things recently and hope to post them soon. Anyways, I found this token last week and having others like it decided to try my hand at restoring it. I was going for a two tone look, since it is so difficult to see details on oxidized brass tokens you find in the ground. I used a dremel tool with a cotton buffing end and baking soda and water to flatten the background. The high points were lightly sanded with a 300 grit sanding block. Let me know what you honestly think and whether I've hurt the value of the token or not?

Before:
    Name:  20150909_123232.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  54.2 KB
    Name:  20150909_123212.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  67.2 KB
    After:
    Name:  20150909_041441.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  95.1 KB
    Name:  20150909_041409.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  80.2 KB
    Thanks for looking!

Cleaning probably devalued it but it looks pretty good.

I like the clean-up job. Bottom line is what you think of it. Saw similar tokens selling for around $15 so regardless of whether you increased or decreased the value it's a neat relic. Congrats.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

By comparison, you can see where you sanded off much of the detail and raised areas of the token, so definitely devalued if it had any value to begin with. If you wand to get rid of oxidation on brass such as this token and want to keep all the detail there are chemical brass cleaners that will remove the oxidation with little or no rubbing. But mind, that also will likely devalue the token in most cases because I think almost any serious collector will be looking for that patina showing it's age.

Hope this helps
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    By comparison, you can see where you sanded off much of the detail and raised areas of the token, so definitely devalued if it had any value to begin with. If you wand to get rid of oxidation on brass such as this token and want to keep all the detail there are chemical brass cleaners that will remove the oxidation with little or no rubbing. But mind, that also will likely devalue the token in most cases because I think almost any serious collector will be looking for that patina showing it's age.

Hope this helps
    Yeah I figured I probably hurt the value a little bit and wouldn't have messed with it if I didn't have multiples of it. I find the chemical cleaners often show pitting after removing the oxidation and make the details even harder to discern. Bottom line it's almost impossible to clean brass and coppers without making them worse in some way.

I personally like the "new" look although i might have tried something a bit less rough on the high spots , maybe some 600 or 1000 grit next time but i'll give you an A for the nice results . great job !!
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Value wise almost anything you try to do to a coin or token is going to devalue it . You did do a nice job on it and I do think it looks better . I think your pretty handy with that Dremel , had you ever considered a
    career in Dentistry ?

I don't care about selling my tokens so I clean them how I want. When I am dead who cares what I did to them
    2017 Total:
    Mercs= 2
    Wash=1
    Seated=1
    total slivers=4
    Wheats 8.
    Indians=4 (1864,1865,1888)
    LG cents=1
    1 Sliver Pendent, 2= 3-ringers, 2 tokens

Most Valuable find ever: 1834 C.B. dime, Oldest 1776 1/2 Reale, Biggest 1822 CB half.
    Detectors: E-trac and F75LTD2

I'd agree with all what was said. It does look good, and good effort done in cleaning but some of the detail on the high spots got removed with too high grit. I'm sure you did this as a trial an error on the item worth the least.