Thread: Totally random V nickel,,

Totally random V nickel,,

Every week day my wife and I walk 4 miles around the Elementary, Middle and High Schools. The fields have been pounded by detectorists over the years, and it's hard to find much more than clad or pencil eraser caps. On Thursday I took note of this small patch of grass across the street from one of the schools. For whatever reason, the school maintenance crew always keeps this little 40 ft by 100 ft patch trimmed up. I decided that the average detectorist probably focuses on the larger fields and never even notices this little bit of nothing. This morning I parked the truck,, ground balanced,, made 3 swings and dug this 1905 V-Nickel. ( My first ) I should have just went home then cause that was the highlight of the day. Just goes to show you never know where something cool will surface. Not sure what might have been there in the past. The schools didn't come along until the 50's. This corner butted up against a farm field in the 40's.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Primary machine= Teknetics T2

2016 Totals
    Oldest Coin= 1920 Wheat Cent
    Silver Coins= 0
    Rings= 1

Nice hypothesis that paid off for you! I'm always trying to find a possible hot spot that has been missed. Congrats on your first...more to come!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Congrats on your first V those are tough to find .Even the Buffalos seem to have migrated from my locale .I would hit that spot again .

Congrats on the V nickel! I'm also in the same situation where anything public and obvious in my area have been pounded mercilessly for decades. It's to the point I'm ecstatic if I find a wheat cent! So I have been looking into hidden nooks and crannies that were likely overlooked in the past. Got a few on the list to hot, and one small spot about the size of your grassy school section has been paying out wheaties and stuff prior to 1970.

Yep, sometimes have to look where others pass over!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Congrats on your first "V" and for thinking out of the box. It paid off.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Way to go, and I'm sure that made your day. Keep looking for those out of the way places. Also try areas with fairly steep and/or wooded slopes. Most detectorists don't hit those and they've provided me with some good finds.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Quote Originally Posted by BTV Digger View Post
    Also try areas with fairly steep and/or wooded slopes. Most detectorists don't hit those and they've provided me with some good finds.

John
    Yep,, I've got one of those lined up for the winter,,, just waiting for the jungle to die back a little bit.

Thanks all,,,
    Primary machine= Teknetics T2

2016 Totals
    Oldest Coin= 1920 Wheat Cent
    Silver Coins= 0
    Rings= 1

Toasty. Nice score on the V. I try to find my sites as out of the ordinary, then at the site go for most obvious spots. lately I have been changing it a little. Looking for certain areas in the landscape. It paid off because the second dandy and the item in my avatar came about from that method.

Good eye, spotting that little area paid off. on getting your 1st V nickel.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album