Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a button day !!

a button day !!

just a couple of pictures for now to tease you with , more to come ......
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Sweet-can't wait to see the rest of the pics and of them cleaned up-looks like you hit the jackpot! Congrats!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Congrats Dan! A fantastic way to get the Autumn detecting season started!
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

A button day is right!
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

A GW????!!!! AWESOME!!!!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Sweet-can't wait to see the rest of the pics and of them cleaned up-looks like you hit the jackpot! Congrats!
    thank you DOD

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper Bri View Post
    Congrats Dan! A fantastic way to get the Autumn detecting season started!
    it was great day for both of us Brian , how out making with your finds ??

Quote Originally Posted by Skamaniac View Post
    A button day is right!
    thanks skamaniac

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    A GW????!!!! AWESOME!!!!
    Thanks Drew , i just started cleaning the button and it looks to have some very sharp details .

ill keep you updated to my progress

the dirt is starting to fall away nicely

Congratulations Dan !!! What a wonderful find .I didn't even know what a GW button was until I joined this forum . Heck we barely find Silver Washington Quarters around my neck of the woods anymore .It's really great to see that old stuff .The oldest thing I have found around here in 23 years of detecting is a 1814 Mexican half Real . Thanks for posting that baby so we can share your excitement .

Looking good Dan!

I'm doing OK. The Half Penny Token cleaned up pretty good. The Braided cleaned up pretty good too. The Draped bust didn't hold up as well. I'll get some pics up soon.
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

AWESOME GW! I'm still waiting for my first but I'm sure it will come some day . Great find!
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Thrills View Post
    Congratulations Dan !!! What a wonderful find .I didn't even know what a GW button was until I joined this forum . Heck we barely find Silver Washington Quarters around my neck of the woods anymore .It's really great to see that old stuff .The oldest thing I have found around here in 23 years of detecting is a 1814 Mexican half Real . Thanks for posting that baby so we can share your excitement .

Thanks for commenting "CT" , I bet that 1814 real made your year huh??

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper Bri View Post
    Looking good Dan!

I'm doing OK. The Half Penny Token cleaned up pretty good. The Braided cleaned up pretty good too. The Draped bust didn't hold up as well. I'll get some pics up soon.
    I bet the front of the draped bust came out roughest , i figured it would "fair" the worst being it the oldest of the spill and having the most wear. glad the others are showing promise , can't wait for the pictures.

well here is another "progress" picture

Oh My GAWSH!! Is the shank on it?
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Oh My GAWSH!! Is the shank on it?
    No Drew , the button's shank or loop looks to have broken off long ago .

well here is the cleaned up button , i was pleasantly surprised at seeing silver gilt or "wash" still present on parts of the button after 226 years .

thanks for reading !

I think that is a marvelous find and cleaning job! Do you have any idea how many were made and distributed?
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Thanks for commenting "CT" , I bet that 1814 real made your year huh??

It sure did and my first and only Seated dime ( 1876) two weeks later .

well here is another "progress" picture

If that GW gets any prettier it could win The Miss America contest !

Holy smokes! That's a beauty Dan!! Huge congrats !
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Nice one Dan. Good to see it has some silver gilt on it. So far I have only liked the posts about this but haven't commented yet. I do wonder why many of these don't show up often. Seeing as you said your last one was 2008. Rang up like a button? I'd just figure there was a lot of support for him back in the day, and cherry picked sites these would be lower VDI targets and possibly skipped over. Sure, there weren't many home sites in the 1790s when he was president and not everyone supported him, but I am sure quite a few did. Hoping I can get a site with one of those bad boys sometime. I'm just grateful to be holding my own lately.... and excluding the Nova...was on my own sites.

Very nice Dan and congratulations. You must have had a great time, especially with that find. Do you clean your buttons in similar fashion to your copper coins (i.e. with H2O2), or with another method? I imagine relative value and/or scarcity may play a role in how you go about it.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

I think that is a marvelous find and cleaning job! Do you have any idea how many were made and distributed?
    Drew , All I know is that agents or loyal volunteers of Washington had the master dies for these buttons and went just ahead of him (while he was touring for his campaign) and had a set number of buttons commissioned in the towns he was planning on stopping in or to travel by , they sold these buttons (each agent had a couple of die varieties ) to raise money for the campaign and then also used that money for his inauguration parade. There is much debate about how much these button cost but i've heard stories that they were anywhere from a days worth of wage to a months worth of wagees just for one button. They must of made thousands and thousands of these buttons though , despite Dave and Todd having found most of them there are a few left to find .

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Thrills View Post
    If that GW gets any prettier it could win The Miss America contest !
    if I could photoshop a tiara on it I would CT

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Holy smokes! That's a beauty Dan!! Huge congrats !
    Thanks Jeff , i expect to see you with one pretty soon !

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    Nice one Dan. Good to see it has some silver gilt on it. So far I have only liked the posts about this but haven't commented yet. I do wonder why many of these don't show up often. Seeing as you said your last one was 2008. Rang up like a button?
    These large buttons can (depending on their angle in the ground) ring almost as high as a coin or low as a shotgun shell . This particular one was ext to a large rock and sitting right next to a large iron lantern top (which what i heard first and sounded decent but a bit ratty ) i new there was iron . so i dug the lantern top out and ran the coil over the area again and then heard the nice high almost coin like tone , I was just glad i didn't hit it with the shovel because of te tight area between the rock and a small pine tree sapling . thanks Jim

Quote Originally Posted by BTV Digger View Post
    Very nice Dan and congratulations. You must have had a great time, especially with that find. Do you clean your buttons in similar fashion to your copper coins (i.e. with H2O2), or with another method? I imagine relative value and/or scarcity may play a role in how you go about it.

John
    Yes John , great care goes into a quality find like this . once i saw how the dirt was coming off on the dried out spots I just placed it under my flood lamp to speed up the drying . I'm just fortunate the crusty layer was easy to flake off like it did John , if i can remove the dirt and layer of verdigris without using chemicals i'll do it . so i removed all the crust very easily with a toothpick then gave it a very soft tooth brushing and then put the ren wax onto it . thanks sir !

Candidate Member
    Beautiful! A GW button is definitely on my bucket list! Congratulations!!
    Equipment: ​Whites XLT