Thread: Tiny Coin?

Tiny Coin?

Anyone have an idea as to what this tiny copper thing is? Looks like an "A" with another word to the right. The back has even less info. Thanks for looking!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

the size is "about" right for a nickle three cent piece is it not ??
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Del, I would think you just might have it! 75/25 copper/nickel at 1.94 grams and 17.9 mm which is almost exactly the same as a dime. Could also be a small trade token, though unlikely to be that small.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

I would agree with Dan 100% that looks just like a 3 Cent Nickel!

Looking at the detail a lot closer-at least as close as I can get in the photo-I wonder, is that maybe a flying eagle cent????
    Equipment:

Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime

Yeah, it looks exactly like that!! Thanks!! I think that word next to the A is the date and I can see 186? I think I can now see the outline of her head too. But... I just read the diameter of 3 ct nickels is the same as for modern dimes, 17.9mm. This thing is smaller...but maybe just rotted away (?)
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

I must have been typing when you wrote that DD, Thank you for looking!! I'll check on that, but isn't the flying eagle even bigger than dimes?
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

The flying eagle is 19mm, 1.1mm larger than a dime and weighs 4.67g. But due to the composition and amount of corrosion, I wouldn't be surprised to have lost that much material. I pick up modern clad pennies only a few years old and they are already corroded smaller and thinner than dimes, so I can see it happening.
    Equipment:

If Drew sees 186_ then its def not a flying eagle. Most likely it would be the three cent nickel. From the color it is now, I would go with that one most likely. Rang up really low?

I'll check what it rang up as Jim. Thanks everyone!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

It air tested at a 72, seem just about right for 75%copper 3 ct nickel.. It is exactly 16mm, just under the 17.9mm that a 3 ct nickel would be. I thought it was 186? Jim but it could be anything Thanks everyone!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

It looks just like a 1/2 Ore coin I found a couple years ago. I seem to recall they were 1850s to 1860s. I'll look when I get home.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Nickel Three Cent pieces ring up very low, lower than a nickel, almost like a small piece of foil. I also do not see any details on it that would match a three cent nickel.

I suspect that it is a foreign coin of some sort.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    It air tested at a 72, seem just about right for 75%copper 3 ct nickel.. It is exactly 16mm, just under the 17.9mm that a 3 ct nickel would be. I thought it was 186? Jim but it could be anything Thanks everyone!
    Just noticed you said it rang up a 72...that's way to high for a 3 cent nickel. Mine rang up a 43 when I air tested it so I'm going to go with Tony. Probably a foriegn coin of some sort or a old token

Honestly it's probably a flat button with the shank completely missing.
    I <3 colonial relics!

I'l try to take a better pic tomorrow. It has that clear as can be "A" ...and it really looks like a date next to the A. It has a reeded edge too. But it is really high if it is supposed to ring up in the nickel range.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    I'l try to take a better pic tomorrow. It has that clear as can be "A" ...and it really looks like a date next to the A. It has a reeded edge too. But it is really high if it is supposed to ring up in the nickel range.
    You've got to love a mystery. Looking forward to further post OxShoeDrew!

Interesting find! Hope you can ID it!

That's a stumper Drew. My guess is it's either a) a toasted flat button (bottom pic seems to have a vague inner arc at 6-7 pm) or b) some sort of token. However, if that's a date on the top and its upright, then that's really a stumper! Good look in your search.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos