Thread: Coppers Are A Girl's Best Friend!

Coppers Are A Girl's Best Friend!

Coppers Are A Girl’s Best Friend!

We went back up to meet with Bill to check out some possible field sites but both of the ones were still in beans. So we went to a site that last year Bill found a lot of great stuff and the day before pulled a couple more Large Cents! This is a huge field with at least three house sites so we had a full day of detecting ahead of us. At first we were not getting a lot of good signals digging bits of brass and other “partifacts” when Diane called out that she had a coin and what a nice coin it was a sweet Two Cent Piece!

After a bit we moved on to the next site in the field and while gridding along a row of corn I got a nice 12-25 signal right underneath a cornstalk, I popped the stalk up and there stuck in the roots was a nice floral button! I was tempted to put the stalk and all in my pouch since it looked neat but decided that would be a bit much to carry out along with my junk. But I got this picture of the corn roots nestling the button in the tendrils!

After cleaning this button had a lot of gilt left on it, a Benedict & Coe button which dates 1825-1834 era is another example of the high quality of all the Benedict buttons.

A bit later in this same row I got another flat button. Coming back right along the edge of the corn row I got a decent 12-44 signal and when I flipped the plug this is what I saw.

This Matron Head has seen better days, when Bill asked me if I could see a date I told him I would have to put some butter and jam on it since it is really toasted! But hey another Large Copper is always welcome!

About 20 minutes later Diane called my name and gave me the Large Cent signal and I went over and checked it out, definitely a Large Cent but a bit toasty too but I was able to get a date on it 1826.

The next coin found has been on my bucket list for years and it is always nice to scratch one off the list…..but …. sigh it was not me that found it but Diane! Oh well were a team right…lol! A Classic Head Half Cent looks good in the book no matter who found it, at least that is what I am telling myself! But I am really happy!

Here is an interesting item it looks like the face of Teddy Roosevelt but if anyone has ideas about it let me know (Dan I am talking to you!) it is 2” tall and 1 1/2” wide made of copper.

Here is the “Copper Queen”

https://youtu.be/JLc7EqXX1-U
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Nice hunting. That Roosevelt item actually looks like Walter from Jeff Dunhams show.........
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

"all hail the copper queen " I 'm glad that gal is keeping you men "humble" some great buttons and coins Tony , give Diane my congrats . the image looks closer to Grover Cleveland to me anyways
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by del; 10-07-2015 at 10:34 PM.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Congrats on another great hunt!!! That 2 center is awesome...and a lower mintage too!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Amazing hunt! I'm expecting you all will be finding a lot more great stuff once the beans get harvested. Unfortunately beans are a very late harvest crop so may be several more weeks depending on the weather. I too have access to about 45 acres of beans I'm waiting on being harvested so it can be hunted. Just hope they come down before the snow!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    "all hail the copper queen " I 'm glad that gal is keeping you men "humble" some great buttons and coins Tony , give Diane my congrats . the image looks closer to Grover Cleveland to me anyways

It does look like Grover to me too!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

You two are racking them up !
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Great set of coins Tony! Just love the 2 center, and to come out of a corn field looking like that is fantastic. I also agree on the half center. Never found one, so a keeper regardless of condition. Way to go.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

You guys had an awesome hunt!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

"put some butter and jam on it" You folks are killin it!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew