Thread: Albany, NY Checking in.

Albany, NY Checking in.

I'm new to the site but not to detecting. I didn't realize this site existed until today.

Welcome from Washington state. What type of detecting to you prefer? I'll bet you've got some nice detecting areas there.
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

I'll dig anything.
    I like coins a lot but artifacts are always good.
    Albany was settled as a Dutch colony in 1614 so the area has lots of history compared to the younger West Cost.
    One most be careful when detecting in the State of NY on public lands as anything over 50 years old is considered an artifact and property of the state.
    NY also has gold in it but it has never been mined as the law states any gold in NY is property of the state, thus you would be mining gold for the State of NY.
    Even on private property, one is wise not to post a YouTube video or talk about anything considered a historical artifact.
    This area of NY has seen Hot and Heavy Revolutionary War activity and The battle of Saratoga took place 30 miles just North of me and was considered the turning point of the American Revolution.
    Many years ago a friend of mine who lives in Schuylerville, NY was doing some excavation and building a retaining wall on his property when he came upon human remains.
    Schuylerville, NY was the site that the British laid down arms and surrendered to the American forces.
    He thought he was doing the right thing reported it and the State of NY sent in a team of Archaeologist who dug his entire property up over a period of two years. As it turns out there were Revolutionary battle graves on his property.
    If your detecting in NY State, there are state laws and there can be local laws regarding detecting and they can very from locality to locality making things very complex.
    I myself have never had any law enforcement issues but I stay abreast of the law in the area's I hunt and use common sense.
    If you find a cannon ball here you just pick it up, conceal it and head for your vehicle and don't talk about it or you could report it and surrender it.
    So in NY, even on private property or your own property, you may not own what you find.
    I lived on the West Coast for several years about 14 years ago so I know where you are.
    The Gorge is beautiful. I miss MT Hood and MT Rainier and what is left of MT St Helens. I left the area back in 2001 when Portland, OR went into economic decline.
    Hook in to any sturgeon lately ? How is the wild Salom verses the released tagged population doing?
    Last edited by DiggingHound; 10-12-2015 at 01:06 PM.

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum from SE Wisconsin, it's good that you found us.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Welcome to the forum DH! I happen to live in Schuylerville

Welcome from SE Wisconsin!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Welcome from western MA. Tough state you got there. Is it anything over 50 years old, even a 1960 penny? Glad you found us and looking forward to seeing your finds from oh lets say. "Vermont"
    Last edited by aloldstuff; 10-14-2015 at 05:24 AM.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Welcome to the forum DiggingHound , we have been around for almost 6 years now and have some of the best and most courteous members you'll find . Glad you joined up and hope you stick around !

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album