Thread: New site to me. A bit frustrating but I did manage some keepers.

New site to me. A bit frustrating but I did manage some keepers.

I'll include Tues in here but there was only a few finds there. Tuesday I went a few towns over while the rain was just finishing up. I got out into the woods at a site I thought wasn't hit. I didn't get much iron in the area which did make me question a bit. The site was weird to begin with, how the stone walls went and the location of the cellar is opposite the side of the road. I did manage a hat buckle that still has a lot of silver plate remaining and a nearby lantern piece. A big heavy iron pick hammer rang up nice. When I went across the road to see a barn foundation and some other corner-like stones, I saw a rock that had all these non-ferrous targets. Seems someone just piled all their junk finds on the rock and left. Well, they missed the few pieces I got. Maybe the site will get another look.

Name:  Buckle.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  70.3 KBName:  Hat Buckle.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  85.4 KBName:  Hat buckle back.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  105.0 KBName:  Spoon lantern and cap.jpg
Size:  63.2 KBName:  Pick hammer and lantern.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  56.4 KB
    Saturday I made it to a further site. It was actually referred to me by the person whom owns the prop where I got the NY militia buckle. The stone walls didn't start until a ways down the old road but they started right by a small brook where it followed the brook. The site actually had two definite wells. One was located by this ginormous barn and the other next to the house. There seemed to be a massive round hole, like a well, behind the house too. Idk, maybe it was a silo if there was a structure above it..? It was definitely frustrating there with many many overload signals and this past century trash. Not only did I find the head gasket (which those sound sweet with the machine until you get disappointed when you dig it), but I found the headers too. Those stayed because cast headers are heavy. The place was there until sometime around the 60's but I believe inhabited only up until the 30's. Shingles did happen to be behind the three sturctures I found. There was a set of rocks by the front of the house and a big dead tree. There is where I pulled up a CW bit boss. Thanks, Dave, for the ID. I knew with the US it had to do with the military. I did know it was 1800s, but I was not certain a specific time frame nor was I aware it was CW. By the big hole out back (silo/well?) I did pull up a coin. It looked toasted but the crud came off when I got it home. It does have a green patina, no I did not recheck the VDI out of the hole, as it was reading low, and I don't know what further cleaning I will do to it. This looks to be my oldest definitive coin. Has the Georgivs legible on the bust side. The bust faces left and it looks like under the shoulder is concave which makes it the older head variety.
    I did spot a pathway just down the hill maybe 15-20ft from the cellar. Right there gave a pocket watch piece, a lantern piece, and a dog whistle. Then the site pretty much stopped giving discernible targets. There is plenty of area there to check but I might have to use another machine with different coil. I had to take a picture of all the junk that came up to show how frustrating sites can be, and I will lead in with that pic before I the pics of better finds. Oh, and the site must have burned down. There was one log I spotted that was charred. I kept getting annoyed with these perfect sounding targets and getting skunked with these pieces of aluminum slag. Many of these came up. You could hear my heart breaking with nice dime or quarter tones and pulling up aluminum slag. Looks like I got a xylophone piece and idk about the APCO cap.

It was good to get out despite it becoming cold. A replacement set of gloves coming in soon as the company had a 40% sale that ended yesterday. The one day I pull up to check the website, I see the substantial sale is ending that same day. And I got from the gf " oh maybe I left them at your parents while helping them move out." So the new owners prob got a nice pair of gloves...

Name:  Trash Finds.jpg
Size:  145.0 KBName:  Aluminum Slag.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  147.9 KBName:  Bucket O finds.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  70.5 KBName:  Xylophone.jpg
Size:  149.0 KBName:  Odd Bottle Cap.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  84.1 KBName:  ApCo Cap.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  72.8 KBName:  Layered colors.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  109.1 KBName:  KG 2 Front.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  108.4 KBName:  KG 2 Back.jpg
Size:  70.7 KBName:  Kg 2 Back pants.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  114.7 KBName:  Bit Boss Armrest.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  61.1 KBName:  Spoons Whistle and bit boss.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  63.5 KB

hey congrats on the bit boss Jim , these are very nice additions to a military display and I see you are getting better at Id'ing your coppers , well done !!
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Whoa , you worked your butt off , go Mango ( hmmm ..... go ,man, go) .Great hunting !! You got some pretty good stuff there . Great picture and commentary as well .You really do need to hit that spot again .Is that chrome object in the last picture one of those silent Dog whistles ?

Wow, what a great assortment of finds. Someday, maybe I'll head out east and try a cellar hole.
    Can't find that stuff around here. Very Cool
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

These were also at the site. A buckle with the leather still attached and a small chain and another lantern piece and harmonica reed. I took another pic of one buckle that still has a lot of silvery plate remaining. In the tub pic cuz most here aren't on the club site, the flat cone pieces are the brake piece to a carriage and the front tip to the carriage poles in the front.

Name:  20151019_165929.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  59.5 KBName:  20151019_170201.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  58.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    hey congrats on the bit boss Jim , these are very nice additions to a military display and I see you are getting better at Id'ing your coppers , well done !!
    Lol. I was that bad at IDing before? Thanks Dan. Might be a slightly different Era than the NY buckle but it was prob found within a mile of each other. I gotta get a display going. You got a nice box you bring to the meetings at least but you had one before I saw that was nice. Now that I got some items that are exceptional for a display I can guess a size to go with.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Thrills View Post
    Whoa , you worked your butt off , go Mango ( hmmm ..... go ,man, go) .Great hunting !! You got some pretty good stuff there . Great picture and commentary as well .You really do need to hit that spot again .Is that chrome object in the last picture one of those silent Dog whistles ?
    That was maybe 3 or 3.5 hours too. Not a full day. Thanks CT. Got some nice things there. Four buckles is a lot for a site. I plan to get back and sane with site that had the Milita buckle. Yes, that looks just like a dig whistle. I can hear it tho. The end you might notice unscrews. It is kinda locked but It might be for tuning. I'm guessing it has to be close in time period between the lantern piece (1870 pat'd) and watch piece (the round one in blue tub pic) which looks like early 1900s. Could be wrong, but it was found within 8-10 ft x 2 ft walkway. The ones online look similar...like ridic close, but the rings are not exact.

I don't know what to say about all that trash other than I also know the frustration. But, I will say that you did very well despite the the less than favorable conditions. So congrats on the good finds, you did well!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

I agree with digger O'dell sites like that are frustrating as heck but your tenacity paid off.love the bit boss! I'd love to dig one!
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

This guy says the curb bit boss is a model 1863. http://hglanham.tripod.com/uscavalry/uscavalry1.html
    I've never even seen one dug. Sweet find Jim!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by Digger Don View Post
    Wow, what a great assortment of finds. Someday, maybe I'll head out east and try a cellar hole.
    Can't find that stuff around here. Very Cool
    Thanks Don. You guys find a lot of silver and IH out your way. We get the old coppers and buttons and an assortment out this way. Tim seems to be enjoying so far. Maybe I can see first hand how much he enjoys it, tomorrow. Is that the motivation you need? Idk what happened to Tony's plans to come out this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    I don't know what to say about all that trash other than I also know the frustration. But, I will say that you did very well despite the the less than favorable conditions. So congrats on the good finds, you did well!
    Quote Originally Posted by HEAVYMETALNUT View Post
    I agree with digger O'dell sites like that are frustrating as heck but your tenacity paid off.love the bit boss! I'd love to dig one!
    Thanks you two. Sometimes the tenacity is what you need. Digger, I thought you had less than favorable conditions at your domicile? Dave, obvi I don't need to say how many times you prob saw the same situation. It was a little worse than the place You, Dan, Todd and I went. When I didn't see any dig holes and the first target was a screaming 78 and up comes the clock piece (the square with gear one) and then the slag which had a really small footprint I knew the site wasn't touched or wasn't hit hard....there was no way someone would not dig these. So I just stuck it out and rewarded a little for it. I'm sure you can find one, Dave. I have faith. There were two per horse, right? And two horse per carriage. And how many carriages..?

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    This guy says the curb bit boss is a model 1863.
    I've never even seen one dug. Sweet find Jim!
    Thanks Drew. Good that I get a nice unique but semi-sought after find. I wasn't aware a date of 1863.. but obvi close to the outbreak of the CW to have US lettering in it. There was another site I saw...not gonna need to bother taking the screen shot I saved from my phone. One sold from the site for $50. Not something to sneeze at. Maybe not a $2000 buckle from the CW... but still acceptable.

Great snag on the bit boss Jim! See those go for a few bucks online and yours looks in great shape. Boy, those old can tops and rusted can top rings sure ring up good don't they? Have certainly dug my share.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Quote Originally Posted by BTV Digger View Post
    Great snag on the bit boss Jim! See those go for a few bucks online and yours looks in great shape. Boy, those old can tops and rusted can top rings sure ring up good don't they? Have certainly dug my share.

John
    Yeah they suck something fierce. Great tone, then you see its just because the shape is round that the discriminator actually likes it. The Stealthies in the next state over from you even pull up a lot in their vids.

I was pleasantly surprised the bit boss sold for around $50 online. Nothing to sneeze at. Better than a merc or rosie. Thanks tho. Slowly I am getting stuff worthy of a display.