Thread: 3 Big Ones!

3 Big Ones!

We went out to check some field sites and were pleased to see one of our permissions had been cut. The corn stubble looked decent so we decided to detect this field where last year we had an amazing run of finds including 13 Large Cents. My first good find was a button and that was followed by a broken skeleton key. Another flat button and a broken Tombac which I call a “Batman” button since the shape looks like the Batman logo!

Diane had also gotten a nice cuff flat button and a larger flat button too. She followed that up with a lovely Benedict & Burnham button with a star design, she got the identical button last year from this site!

I then got that sweet sound of a high tone that was giving me a 12-44 to 12-45 on my CTX, I knew there was a good chance of another Large Cent. Running the CTX in Ferrous Coin mode produces a little lower range on the conductive numbers than is normally found in some of the other settings. My shovel uncovered the target and yes it was Large Cent number 14 from this site.

Turning to do the next row over turned out to be fortuitous as this row produced for me too. First I got a 14-46 then a 12-47 and then a 12-45 depending on which angle I put the coil across the target. I tried filming a live dig but it was a comedy of errors since my pinpointer went crazy, sounding off all over the place or not sounding at all except for a small chirp even when placed next to my digger! After a bit I found the target on edge directly under a cornstalk! It was another Large Cent number 15 from this site!

About 5 minutes later I got another killer signal and again I tried a live dig on film…. again amusing since the target another Large Cent was on edge again and my pinpointer kept leading me astray finally Diane came over and I used hers and quickly found the target and it was Large Cent 16 from this site!

This was my first three Large Cent Day!

A badly corroded 1820 Matron Head.

A 1835 Matron Head with large 8 and large stars N-1 variant.

And an 1846 Braided Hair Large Cent.

And my pinpointer is on its way to Garrett, great customer service, and I bought a new Garrett “Carrot” to try out!

https://youtu.be/xfzTYefbqMo
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Congrats on the 3 big coppers!

Those buttons and key are really nice finds also-too bad the key got broken, those aren't found very often as I can recollect.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Very nice finds and lots of them .

You are the king (and queen) of finding LC's west of the Appalachians! Congrats! You will like the new pinpointer...more features and less falsing.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Those fields are producing some great finds for you guys. 3 copper day anywhere is a great day.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Nice LCs, Tony. I'm seeing my Vibraprobe shutting off too early. I like the fact mine has the detect area at the tip so it pinpoints better than a side detect. But I tried the Vulcan a few times because I was tired of having the long vibraprobe banging on the shovel as a hiked to spots. I do like, tho, the sensitivity being higher so you can know you are in the right area (plug or hole) easier.

Wow! Three Large Cents in one hunt! That's amazing!

You got some really nice old buttons too. I need to find me some old field sites like that here in Illinois!

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

a 3 copper day is a great day in any ones book Tony , careful now as you might be catching up to HEAVYMETALNUT in your tally of coppers !
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Fantastic day and congrats on the three coppers! Just love the star button...in great shape by the way.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Freeking sweet hunt! Any time you get more than 1 LC in a hunt makes it epic!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Three LCs in one day is special! I missed this post
    They are just getting around to cutting the corn on some of my fields....seems late.
    Congrats Tony!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew