Thread: A hunt with Ill Digger, Jim, and Dan - 10/21

A hunt with Ill Digger, Jim, and Dan - 10/21

Got a message from Dan on Tuesday if I was up for a mid-week hunt with Ill Digger (Tim) who was in to wn for the week. Heck yeah!

Met up with everyone in the AM, and off we went to a spot Drew was very generous in letting us detect since it had been doing pretty well for him. THANK YOU Drew!!
    I had picked up a practically new White's MXT this summer on the cheap, and had yet to take it out on a hunt. So the V3i got a break that will turn into a possible retirement. I'm in love with the MXT, and it had a good day.

Started next to the cellar hole in some dense saplings, and was rewarded with a 1837 Matron LC as my 2'nd target of the day, maybe 10ft from the lip of the cellar hole! Bushwhacking was my strategy for the for the day, and it paid off.
    After the Matron it got a bit quiet for a while, then I started popping some buttons. Thought I was onto my second copper maybe 20ft from the Matron, but it turned out to be a beefy dandy button that rang up in the mid-70's on the MXT.
    Managed other finds as well. A small iron buckle in great shape, bit of a buckle, and a HUGE musket ball. Dan thinks it may be from a .75 cal Brown Bess. It weighs almost 1.2 ounces, and you can see in the pic it's almost 3/4" diameter!

Big find of the day for me came in the early afternoon, still bushwhacking, and get a real deep 80's on the MXT. I start digging and was immediately greeted by a bunch of larger roots criss-crossing the hole. I spent a good 15 minutes in lumberjack mode with my Sampson before getting through. It was worth it though. Up comes a thick copper that Dan later ID'd as a Liberty Cap LC! It's got a good crust on it, so no date, but later that night I spotted One Hundred For a Dollar on the rim. That makes it an 1794 or 1795. It's rough and red under the crust, so not sure how well it'll clean up. But I'm glad to have dug it!

It was great to see everyone dig something good, and Tim got to bring home some relics! Thanks again Drew!
    Name:  Buttons1.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  101.7 KB

Name:  BrownBess1.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  93.5 KB

Name:  Sisters.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  91.8 KB

Name:  Cap1.jpg
Size:  74.9 KB

Name:  Cap3.jpg
Size:  60.8 KB
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

WOW! A Liberty Cap!

That is an incredible find, Brian! And you were able to narrow the date down to 1794 or 1795. You can't get much earlier than that for a US coin! That's the kind of find dreams are made of!

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Yes Brian it seemed like you and that MXT bonded pretty well . congrats on the nice looking matron cent and the Liberty cap cent is still on my bucket list , great find .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

WTG on the finds as well as the Liberty Cap which is very hard to find. I found one years ago.
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

I've only found one cap, and it didn't have the cool side lettering. I think your bushwacking strategy was very sound in that everyone before you was going after the easy targets. I'm glad you did well and hope to see you tomorrow!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Fantastic finds Brian and congrats on the 2 coppers! Liberty Cap...wow! I hunt quite similar at cellar holes with no holes barred (pardon the pun) by going into the deep brush and steeper slopes quite often. You've really ramped it up this season. Keep up the good work.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Congrats on all the great finds especially the Liberty Cap!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Thanks everyone! I tried Dan's heat lamp trick, but the crust didn't pop off. It didn't get flaky at all after I dug it. I'm in no hurry with it, hopefully there's some detail left.
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

Wow, what a fantastic day, especially the coins! I did a bit of research on the Liberty Cap LC, and the only year that had the lettering on the edge was 1795, ond there were only 2 varieties, both very rare. The one variety even in that condition is still worth hundreds. The Jefferson head variety has only 3 known to date and could be worth tens of thousands! Incredible either way! http://www.usacoinbook.com/coins/lar...s/liberty-cap/
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Nice! I was just commenting on how those Liberty Caps are as rare as hens teeth.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

I'd say that the new MXT is treating you pretty dang good Brian!
    Specially when it sniffs out 2 coppers on it's first outing!!
    And one is a Liberty Cap!!
    Congrats on the goodies!!!

It was great you were able to come out with us Wednesday!
    Nice meeting and hunting with ya!
    Hopefully we'll get a chance to do it again sometime.
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Great going !! A nice Baptism for the MXT .

You were the first to score a copper, and would have been the last if I did not score that last one. Maybe that site is hiding a few more items. I think the last one was kind of an obvious spot, like the one Tim dug. Good call on getting into the area with the saplings. I've only seen one site like that but the saplings were too far from the cellar and it looked like it was a wetland area come spring so I gave up on it. There is a site with a far hike in that didn't seem like it was hit hard because it had a few good tones that no one would miss if they hit it. That too is amassed with barberries.

It was good to get out with the group. That was actually the second time you and I hunted together.