Thread: Flying Eagle cent and other finds

Flying Eagle cent and other finds

So had about 3 hours for a hunt today and decided to search for an old school site I'd yet to find. After about a 1/2 mile walk and a bit of searching I found it and went to work. Man, tons of old tin roofing at this site which made my ears ache in all metal mode on the F2, even with the volume toned down. First good signal was a 1919 wheat, then a decorative rosette followed by a plated spoon from C. Parker & Co. (dates to the 1880s or so). Then got an iffy mid tone about 20 feet away from the original structure. Literally spent 5 minutes trying the locate the darn thing, but it made my day as it was my first Flying Eagle Cent (an 1857). It's seen better days but I'll take it. Toward the end of my time there I located the old trash pit about 100 yards down a slope. Pulled a few decent old bottles (mainly common fare) but I always like finding those. The cold is slowly settling in up here in the North Country so my hunting season is unfortunately drawing to close in a few weeks. Hopefully things will cooperate and allow me to keep swinging until Thanksgiving or so, but alas you never know. Thanks for looking and best regards.

P.S. Any one have an idea on the tall, narrow bottles? Are they food related, or apothecary etc.?

Name:  Bottles.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  24.8 KBName:  Flying Eagle Cent.png
Views: 104
Size:  224.1 KBName:  Rosette.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  19.6 KB
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Wow John , the rosette is a looker !! very nicely designed , lead filled back ?? congrats on the Flying eagle a coin that elude many , the bottle to the right of the cobalt blue one looks like an olive jar to me .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    congrats on the Flying eagle a coin that elude many
    Dan
    Yeah!! I've never even seen one dug! Those bottles are hard to come by too! Great hunt John!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Sounds like a great hunt. Congrats on that flying eagle!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Nice! Those Flying Eagles are elusive. That rosette must have sounded sweet !
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Wow John , the rosette is a looker !! very nicely designed , lead filled back ?? congrats on the Flying eagle a coin that elude many , the bottle to the right of the cobalt blue one looks like an olive jar to me .

Dan
    Hi Dan,

It's actually concave with a single pin attachment (see pic). You've had more experience digging these than I so the rosette ID was by best guess. Could it perhaps be something else? Drawer pull etc.? Rang up quite high so a brass composition or something similar seemed logical. By the way my wife thought olive jars as well, so I guess that's what they'll be!
    Name:  rosette_reverse.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  26.3 KB

Great finds , that Flying Eagle held up well .

....there is no connection on the front for it to be something like a drawer pull. Yeah, I do agree that a single post connection makes it less believable as a rosette, but maybe it really is one. Otherwise if it was part of furniture, it was just a decorative piece. I did find one that looks like a reese's cup. I don't think I posted it and the words on it elude me right now, but you could tell that it had a spot on the front for a ring to attach to be a drawer pull.

Nice score on the FE and the Phillips bottle. I did find one that actually has no lettering imprinted in the glass.

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    ....there is no connection on the front for it to be something like a drawer pull. Yeah, I do agree that a single post connection makes it less believable as a rosette, but maybe it really is one. Otherwise if it was part of furniture, it was just a decorative piece. I did find one that looks like a reese's cup. I don't think I posted it and the words on it elude me right now, but you could tell that it had a spot on the front for a ring to attach to be a drawer pull.

Nice score on the FE and the Phillips bottle. I did find one that actually has no lettering imprinted in the glass.
    Thanks for the comments Jim. Yeah, I think I'll call it a "rosette" for lack of a better alternative. The bottles were literally lying on top of the ground...nuts.

John