Thread: Short, after work hunt. Need ID help.

Short, after work hunt. Need ID help.

I had a permission to hunt an 1890 house in Mystic. Had to work today till 1:00, so today was the day to hunt since work is 15 minutes from Mystic. Had only one good find on the day. The homeowner really liked it, so I let her keep it. Anybody have any idea what this might be? I'm guessing a hat badge maybe?Name:  image.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  88.7 KB

Is it too big for a watch fob? I like it though, and nice job offering it to the homeowner.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Whatever it is , it's old and cool .Congrats on your find and your generosity .

Its half of a Victorian era sash buckle Kevin also it looks like a Wyvern an old mythological creature
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Good call del, you beat me to the Wyvern ID though I had no clue to being a sash buckle half.
    Really cool find, congrats kpmoose!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Haha. Kev. You were eager to get and ID. Saw it posted 3 places now. You got a consensus on it being half a sash buckle and now Dan even coughed up the Wyvern.
    Victorian era 1837-1901. The 1890 house does fall at the far end of that time frame. Do you know any information on the family that built the house? Cuz somewhere it was mentioned as a coat of arms. A family crest in 1890 might ONLY be from an emigrating family at that time. Unless there was a house on that property 50 years earlier. Don't mind me rambling. lol

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    Haha. Kev. You were eager to get and ID. Saw it posted 3 places now. You got a consensus on it being half a sash buckle and now Dan even coughed up the Wyvern.
    Victorian era 1837-1901. The 1890 house does fall at the far end of that time frame. Do you know any information on the family that built the house? Cuz somewhere it was mentioned as a coat of arms. A family crest in 1890 might ONLY be from an emigrating family at that time. Unless there was a house on that property 50 years earlier. Don't mind me rambling. lol
    Yeah, Jim. Thought I would post it here & FB pages. More views always helps.

The house was built in 1890, but there is a barn foundation that the homeowner was told predates the house. I haven't had the time to research the property yet though, so I can't confirm that.

Check the 1868 (or 1874, whichever was the Petersen map of that town). If you see the house, then you know 1890 isn't the actual date. Additions, which didn't need permits back then, might be the date the assessor used. Old wiring and a fire would have caused a rebuild date. I was fairly certain there would be something there earlier. Spend the winter time researching; but for now pound it good.

Very nice and decorative piece. Congrats!

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos