Thread: Trime for a Trigger

Trime for a Trigger

Got out yesterday with TrooperBri and OxShoeDrew looking for a cellar hole but after wandering the woods with no luck we opted to hit one that wasn't far away. The last time Drew Brian and myself were at this site the conditions were very different as the temperatures very hot , the ferns and grass were high and the ground was dry . everyone was hitting targets in places they hit the time prior , Drew had the very hot coil right from the start . i slowly came around with a couple of buttons and then a colonial knee buckle frame and then a huge trigger guard

the a bit later I get a target thats in a covered up dig hole , its a little higher then a shotgun shell tone so i scrape the dirt out of the hole with my boot and i see a tiny brown disk go by in the dirt thinking its a button or a dirty aluminum "tab" at first until i picked it up and realized its a three cent "Trime" ,

its a bit worn but it and the trigger guard made my day !!
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Sounds like you had a great time treasure hunting. Great finds, congrats! !
    Last edited by Digger_O'Dell; 10-25-2015 at 07:02 PM.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

That trigger guard is spectacular and the pic doesn't do it justice
    Hey, where was the trime? Congrats!!
    I'll only be able to get in short/close hunts for a few weeks...so I'll see you in November.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Sounds like you hade a great time treasure hunting. Great finds, congrats! !
    Thanks DOD , its hard not to have a great time in the fall . the weather is nice , no bugs or humidity and the fall colors are spectacular , not to mention the friends to detect with . the finds are just "icing on the cake"

the trigger guard turns out to be off an 1756 patterned British military type Brown Bess Musket
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    That trigger guard is spectacular and the pic doesn't do it justice
    Hey, where was the trime? Congrats!!
    I'll only be able to get in short/close hunts for a few weeks...so I'll see you in November.
    the trime was over near the opening of that small pen across the road from the cellar at the base of the steep little incline maybe 40 or 50 feet from where the trigger guard was . Hey we will get together then Drew when your a free man again

Great Finds Dan. I wonder who didn't retrieve the trime from the hole? Seems like a newbie detectorist. Great saves!
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Quote Originally Posted by RIdirtdigger View Post
    Great Finds Dan. I wonder who didn't retrieve the trime from the hole? Seems like a newbie detectorist. Great saves!
    I don't think it was me ...at least from how Dan described where he found it....oh who am I kidding, it was probably me
    If it was me I'm not a newbie, I just detect like one
    I must admit I was over that area where he found the trigger guard, at least twice
    Last edited by OxShoeDrew; 10-25-2015 at 03:40 PM.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

I don't think it was me ...at least from how Dan described where he found it....oh who am I kidding, it was probably me
    If it was me I'm not a newbie, I just detect like one
    I must admit I was over that area where he found the trigger guard, at least twice
    Drew, newbies are usually doubly careful to go REAL SLOW and check everything twice because they are unsure-I find it's usually the impatient veterans who miss the most!

Del, Thanks for the info on the trigger guard-very interesting and great to have that provenance!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

Congrats on the trigger guard and trime! That spot was good to all of us again.

Don't feel bad Drew. A couple weeks ago I dug a thimble not far from a cellar hole. Dan told me to work that area good. Not good enough apparently, I missed the CT copper.
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

Man , I'm blown away by those two finds .Super congrats .

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper Bri View Post
    Don't feel bad Drew. A couple weeks ago I dug a thimble not far from a cellar hole. Dan told me to work that area good. Not good enough apparently, I missed the CT copper.
    Boys , just call me the old maid , because i may be slow but i don't mind "cleaning up" what you fellas leave laying around !!

Nice trigger guard, Dan. Being from 1756 brings a whole world of questions. It was made before the RW. Was it a colonist's rifle? Was it a British soldiers? I know some of the colonists supported the British. For some reason this is the item I actually start to ask questions about.. after seeing countless things dug.
    Sweet trime too Dan. That and an early Spanish silver are the things I wanna get the most still. (A capped bust and a seated and a FE would be really great too but so far all have eluded me ).

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Drew, newbies are usually doubly careful to go REAL SLOW and check everything twice because they are unsure-I find it's usually the impatient veterans who miss the most!
    Not completely sure on that. Cellar holes are a whole different beast. I did a few parks and yards before I got a tiny taste of Cellar hole hunting. Being a noob at the time I prob passed up a few good targets thinking they were trash...because sure as heck I wouldn't dig those numbers in a park. Now digging numbers like zincoln VDI's at cellar holes has opened up more finds like LC and buttons. And even some that disappear into iron category for a few swings and I get tiny buttons. I may not be a veteran, but I'm also not quite a noob, and I'm getting the stuff I missed as a noob. Maybe I am just a special case.

Man, that is an awesome relic Dan
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

That's a great way to save a hunt!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Excellent finds Dan. Love the trigger guard and the fact you can match the make/year/model. Good to see you saw the little coin flying by in the dirt. Those things are so tiny. I can't imagine how many must have been fumbled and dropped back in the day.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    Nice trigger guard, Dan. Being from 1756 brings a whole world of questions. It was made before the RW. Was it a colonist's rifle? Was it a British soldiers? I know some of the colonists supported the British. For some reason this is the item I actually start to ask questions about.. after seeing countless things dug.
    Jim the Brown Bess was strictly a military weapon for the English soldier , but i'm sure many of these guns were confiscated after skirmishes and battles by the colonial militias. Later after the war there was probably a surplus of these guns sold to many citizens . Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Man, that is an awesome relic Dan
    Thanks Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by The Rebel View Post
    That's a great way to save a hunt!
    Thank you Roger

Quote Originally Posted by BTV Digger View Post
    Excellent finds Dan. Love the trigger guard and the fact you can match the make/year/model. Good to see you saw the little coin flying by in the dirt. Those things are so tiny. I can't imagine how many must have been fumbled and dropped back in the day.

John
    Thanks John this makes 3rd one i've recovered in the last 15 years or so , this one has the most wear out of the all .I also got a nice surprise when i cleaned up the knee buckle , it had a nice "scrolled floral" design to it .
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Jim the Brown Bess was strictly a military weapon for the English soldier , but i'm sure many of these guns were confiscated after skirmishes and battles by the colonial militias. Later after the war there was probably a surplus of these guns sold to many citizens . Thanks
    See, the answer lies somewhere in there. I am sure after the amendments were written that many made sure they owned a weapon. Even possible an English soldier that switched sides. You prob know just that little extra based upon the research
    of the prop that prob makes it what you said.

That knee buckle is pretty sweet.