Thread: Incredible day metal detecting! Found a Virgin Colonial cabin site!

Incredible day metal detecting! Found a Virgin Colonial cabin site!

Saturday was probably one of the best hunts I have ever had. After struggling for several months, I think luck is finally on my side once again. Saturday started out on a bad note as I slept through my alarm and woke up at 6:20 AM, the exact time I was supposed to be meeting Jarrod at a local parking lot and have him follow me to the site. Whoops. I had everything packed in my car so I basically got dressed and left the house. I apologized for being late but all was good. We headed up to Northern RI to hit a new spot I had found a few months back but never knew it was on public property and that it could be accessed without walking through someone's yard. After learning that there was public access to the area, off we went to find the cellar hole. We bushwhacked it for a while but eventually came upon an old cart path and followed it to the site. The site is colonial, not on any maps and is pretty close to an historic cemetery. The creepiest thing was there was a recently dug excavated hole in the middle of the small cemetery, looks someone dug up a grave. Some people are just messed up. Anyway, I didn't do too well at this cellar hole. I got 2 buttons and a small fragment of a button, also a massive harmonica reed fragment. One of the buttons was tombac, which I dug on the cartpath as we were leaving the site. Jarrod did well here, he got 6 buttons, most of them near the cellar hole. He also got some broken pieces of a shoe buckle frame and a few other items. I had a backup site in mind nearby so we left this site and headed out. We stopped to take a break and I noticed a few out of place stone walls to the left of the cart path. I told Jarrod I was gonna check them out so I took my detector with me and took a walk. I didn't see any depressions just a lot of rock piles and walls. I meet up with Jarrod and he asks me what this is (Pointing at a stone pile). Its on the side of a hill which made me think it could be a center chimney pile. Jarrod then told me there was a barn foundation right next to it. We both decide to put the coils down and give it a quick go. Almost immediately Jarrod gets a loud "shallow" target which he expects to be a shot gun shell. It wasn't It actually was a gold gilted conical shaped button with a star pattern. I move over to the right and get a nice mid tone, and pop out a big button. A foot over I get a mid-high tone and dig a beautiful colonial dandy button, all very obvious "Must dig" signals. At this point Jarrod and I start saying "This could be a virgin site" There isn't any cellar hole, just a barn foundation and only a rock pile built into the side of the hill. Clam shells and oyster shells in a lot of the holes. Only a minute or two later, about 5 feet away from the buttons I get a high tone with a VDI of 78-82. I had a good feeling it was gonna be a copper, which was confirmed when I saw a thick green disk in the hole. 1818 Matron. Great shape. A little bit later I get a 70's VDI signal and pull out what I originally thought was a shank less flat button. I was wrong. It was a little thick for a button and then I see a right facing bust. It's a small coin about the size of a US Half Cent. This wasn't a half cent though. . It is a 1694 William and Mary Farthing ! Its pretty corroded but I saw the two busts on the obverse and was able to identify the posture of Britannia on the reverse as the one that is used on the William and Mary. Thank you Isaac for helping me identify this coin. This ties the 1694 William and Mary halfpenny I found about a year ago for my oldest coin. I was very happy with this find. I then get a mid-high tone and there was a very fresh plug there. Apparently in his excitement Jarrod forgot to recheck the hole he found the gold gilted button in. Its a mistake we all make at some time, at least it wasn't a coin spill. I ended up pulling three identical ones out of that hole. No wonder the signal was so loud. I moved away from the chimney pile and toward a small rock lined pen. I got a very very faint high tone, almost the same signal deep iron will give off. I dug it anyway. Glad I did cause I pulled out another copper . This copper is pretty corroded but after a little bit of research I was able to identify it. It has a bust on the front and a shield on the reverse. This copper is a 1770's French Louis XV Sol, as the bust on my coin is the type used on the coins during those years. I also was able to reveal the word "Franciae ET' on the reverse which matches the ones of that type of coin. I was pretty happy, I've never dug a French colonial copper before. That makes 18 coppers this year and three in 43 minutes. Only a short time later after digging two massive copper bullets that gave off screaming signals, I get a blasting high tone 84-85 VDI right next to a bunch of rocks near the barn. After digging the hole I realize the targets a little too big for a copper and I say to Jarrod it could be a shoe buckle. I was correct. Its my first ever complete colonial shoe buckle and the pins move like the day it was dropped!!!! Beautiful designed frame, I'm so glad I dug this buckle. I dug a few buttons afterwords but we had to both get going. On the way out we noticed an old colonial quarry so we will check that area out as well. I can't believe we found a virgin cabin site, they are so hard to find. We only spent about 90 minutes of actual detecting there and we aren't even close to covering a quarter of the ground at this site. Anyway sorry for the long post but hope you enjoy the story and the photos. One of the photos is off Jarrods finds. Happy hunting everyone!!!Name:  image.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  148.6 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  71.1 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  97.2 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  117.7 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  100.1 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  62.1 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  59.2 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  52.4 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  75.1 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  74.8 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  47.6 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  48.0 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  82.9 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  73.3 KB
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

I'm so glad this happened to you! You were going to sadly recall this year until yesterday...now you'll always remember it for this great site! It sounds as though you have many more visits to make! I'm happy for you and good luck on return visits.
    Something similar happened to us a few years ago...also in RI...we just noticed a cellar as we drove by, after striking out at other sites. We parked and pulled maybe 7 coppers and a real that first day, plus tons of other items. My only other site that was virgin gave up 20 coins and countless colonial items. You are in for a nice ride!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    I'm so glad this happened to you! You were going to sadly recall this year until yesterday...now you'll always remember it for this great site! It sounds as though you have many more visits to make! I'm happy for you and good luck on return visits.
    Something similar happened to us a few years ago...also in RI...we just noticed a cellar as we drove by, after striking out at other sites. We parked and pulled maybe 7 coppers and a real that first day, plus tons of other items. My only other site that was virgin gave up 20 coins and countless colonial items. You are in for a nice ride!
    Yes Drew I am in for a nice ride! The funny thing is this site is within a 5 mile radius of three other sites that I have done well at this year. I've pulled 11 of my 18 (and counting) coppers from these 4 sites. I guess this area just isn't hit much (except by me )
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Big congrats-you found the rare virgin site and are now reaping the benefits! Really happy for you and hope to read much more soon about the next big haul of loot you pull out of there, and then at the quarry.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Congratulations Jim!!!!! Arguably THE hardest task to do metal detecting!!!!!!! So happy and proud of you!!!!
    I <3 colonial relics!

Awesome finds! Glad you will be able to end your year on a high note. Many more great finds await you I'm sure

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

Congrats on finding the virgin site . Great finds , pictures and write up. I will be looking forward to more of your posts as well as the posts from the other great hunters on this relic forum .

Still want to give up the hobby Jim ?? Highs and lows my friend , metal detecting is no different then life . Enjoy the highs and endure and trudge on through the lows

Congrats on a great hunt Jim , lets see a nice picture of the show buckles design !! i believe the one i found a few months ago has the same design .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Productive sites like that are getting harder and harder to find. Congrats on some outstanding finds, and I hope there's a lot more waiting for you to discover.

Good to see you got out of the slump, Jim. If it isn't quite a virgin site, then it wasn't hit hard. Get back there and maybe you will find a bit more. Guessing Jarrod is a noob... (I haven't met either of you) but he missed the few extras in the hole. Grats on the nice buckle and the French LC. My 1818 would look as nice as yours If I didn't keep it in a tiny bag with another coin all day to bang around and have any patina flake off.

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    i believe the one i found a few months ago has the same design .
    You might be right on that. It does look a little familiar. The same one you had at the last meeting and I just passed it aside, until you said it was ornate and I picked it back up and was "Oh, you are right. I wasn't observant... de de dee"

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    Good to see you got out of the slump, Jim. If it isn't quite a virgin site, then it wasn't hit hard. Get back there and maybe you will find a bit more. Guessing Jarrod is a noob... (I haven't met either of you) but he missed the few extras in the hole. Grats on the nice buckle and the French LC. My 1818 would look as nice as yours If I didn't keep it in a tiny bag with another coin all day to bang around and have any patina flake off.

You might be right on that. It does look a little familiar. The same one you had at the last meeting and I just passed it aside, until you said it was ornate and I picked it back up and was "Oh, you are right. I wasn't observant... de de dee"
    Jarrod isn't really a "newb" he's actually been detecting for about the same time as me. The fact that he missed those targets was Mostly cause we got caught up in the excitement of finding such obvious targets. The only reason I dug rechecked the hole was cause I was swinging in the area and happened to get a target right where his dig hole was. Like I said in the post, at least it was just a button spill and not a copper spill. I'm pretty sure this site has never seen a detector. Never been to site with more obvious targets then this one. Unless someone swung a detector that couldn't get below 1 inch, I doubt anyone else has been here. I'm looking forward to hitting the site again next weekend and give it a proper lashing. 90 minutes was not enough for either of us and the site has a lot more to give up.

Seeing the stories of coppers being missed, even tho your case is only buttons, I check. Granted the group hunt the junk washers and more tiny button like things were hiding in an area someone dug something and then I dug a few. Just the way you swung makes the difference....sometimes. Think tho how a copper was missed in the most obvious spot on my last group hunt. Obvi I wasn't there so Ill take your word for it. I think the site I got to recently that is ridic trashy might be virgin..but, seeing as it had so much trash I cant make that call yet. There is one nearby that I am going to see about a permission. Since it is 40 min away from the site, I will have to get a permission for another day. A wooded site like that I can ask and go directly if it was a weekend. I'm not over here nitpicking whether it was virgin or not.
    I'm just foreseeing a few months and we all gotta hit places hard before we lock ourselves inside to hibernate. Good luck tho when you get back there.

Better pic of shoe buckle

Dan here's a better pic of the shoe buckle.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by RIdirtdigger View Post
    Dan here's a better pic of the shoe buckle.
    Jim , I wonder if the same craftsman made or decorated both buckles ??
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

I have the same shoe buckle, with a different edge design, everything is exact. Chape, tounge, size measurements.
    I <3 colonial relics!

Incredible day metal detecting! Found a Virgin Colonial cabin site!

!! Mine Vs. Jim's

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445897916.871457.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  30.5 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445897934.053144.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  28.1 KB
    Last edited by Isaac; 10-26-2015 at 05:18 PM.
    I <3 colonial relics!

Now that is a major rush finding a site like that. Some great digs. Very cool
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Man what an awesome hunt you had! That high will carry you for some time now.

What you need to do now is:
    1. Pound the hell out of it.

2. Get a smaller coil and pound it even harder. This is what I do and it's very successful. Recover all of the best tones you can then you'll be able to unmask the other finds with a smaller coil.
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Good to see you had your luck turn. Very nice finds.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos