Thread: My oldest coin with Drew and Dan! - 10/24

My oldest coin with Drew and Dan! - 10/24

Saturday Dan and I took a ride into Drew's neck o' the woods to check out a spot that was supposed to have a cellar hole.
    Found the road, found the walls, and then it looks like we found what we were looking for may have been on private property. Oh well.

Plan B: Back to the site the three of us hit a couple months back or so. It's also where I dug the Fugio cent.
    I started away from the cellar hole and worked areas that the ferns had died off in. No luck. I start wandering back to the yard behind the cellar hole and finally get on the board. A companion to the J. Mann gold gilt button I dug there last time!
    Name:  ThreeButtons.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  98.2 KB

Poke around a bit more in the yard with not much to show for it, and head up to the cellar hole to give the MXT a sniff at it. Good choice. 18 inches apart right on the lip I get get a couple low 30's. Up come a pair of larger pewter buttons with matching designs. I spent a good half hour or so carefully cleaning the good one before sealing them.
    Name:  TwinPewter.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  108.6 KB

Dug some more crunk around the hole, then wandered off again to try more of the dead fern areas. Strike Two, so back to work around the site more. Swinging back up the road, and in front of the cellar hole, bam, a mid 70's tone real shallow. Up comes a copper at a whopping 2 inches. Pretty slick, but Dan ID'd the bust as a KG I! No date, but I'm a happy camper!
    Name:  KG1.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  56.4 KB

Kept working around the site, and finds started popping. Couple more buttons, chape from a shoe buckle, and other odds & ends. Dug a one blade pocket knife that had printing on it. I could make out the word Waterbury, but had to clean it up at home to get the rest. It says W.Ville M.G. Waterbury.
    Waterville Manufacturing was established in 1843, and they also had a cutlery division from 1890 to 1913. Not sure if this knife is from the cutlery division or older.
    Name:  OtherStuff.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  110.3 KB

Name:  Waterville.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  112.6 KB

We called it quits in the late afternoon, and stopped at one more cellar hole before heading back to the car. It looked promising right off the bat. I get a small crotal bell on one side of the hole, while Dan is digging a harmonica reed on the other side. But, that was about it. Turned out to be a real trashy dump site, and we left after an hour of digging junk.
    Another great cool autumn day in the woods with friends! Thanks guys!
    Name:  SecondCrotal2.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  64.9 KB
    Last edited by Trooper Bri; 10-26-2015 at 05:52 PM.
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

you were just the opposite of Drew on Saturday !! you started off real slow but then finally gained some goodies . the pewter buttons are nice , i'm not familiar with the design , hopefully i'll get to check them out up close . congrats on the KGI , nice pick up in the road and your new oldest coin
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

That's awesome Brian! Was that copper in the open area where all the roads meet in front of the hole? There were many nice signals there. Did you guys find another hole in those woods (where you found the crotal)?
    I have a third one of those pewter buttons, I must have found it there last time. I'll give it to you next time we meet so can have three.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Good finds. Glad you sneaked out some goodies from the pounded/trashed sites.
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

It was almost in the open area Drew. It was maybe 10ft into the road that went through the stone wall that's blocked by 2 large boulders. I did get that chape and plain button in the open area though. That and that disturbed area are probably still holding goodies.
    And thanks again! To have a 3'rd button like that would be awesome!
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

Awesome finds. Love the designed pewter buttons!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Sounds like a great day to be out digging even if nothing was found. But you were rewarded well and came up with some great coins and relics! Big congrats!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

Another crotal worthy of an EEEEE. Grats on the oldest coin and those cufflinks are very different.

Very nice finds Brian. Congrats on your oldest coin.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos