Thread: Weekend hunts. Mediocre but pic heavy

Weekend hunts. Mediocre but pic heavy

Friday was umm.. ridiculous. I was thinking to work thru lunch and leave early because I knew of the impending clock change. Welp, they were smart enough to schedule a meeting/training at the end of the day on a Friday. WTH?!?! I still went up, tho, after work to where I got the belt plate. I know there is more hiding in the area but after those nice finds early on I haven't unlocked the secret yet.

I actually arrived to park at the same time as the guy who owned the adjacent property whom I was told doesn't like trespassers. He is actually a nice guy who is a hunter himself. He told me there is a place out east with cellar holes that he knows of but others have never heard of. I told him I gotta pick his brain for it. He even mentioned his property has a few cellars on it. When I go up, he just wants to be around to see what gets pulled up. Well, if it gets me in there I'm sure it will be ok. He did tell me, too, that the field he mows for the woman who lives out of state actually had a gold mine on it. Two shafts, in fact. They are all filled with water now, however. My machine isn't quite the type to pick up any gold flakes tho. VLF are not good for that.

Friday I didn't pull up too much. Just a badge for a hunting license, and an old stamp. After a light cleaning I got patent dates inside: 1887 and 1888. Maybe the stamp side I can try and clean and see what was on it. No hurt in trying as the stamp isn't worth a whole lot. I took a pic of the chassis that was out there. Maybe it is from an Oldsmobile or Pontiac, but older than 1930 when they still used the wooden spokes. It could be a Model T, but the pics of those look like the spokes were thinner than the ones I saw in the woods. Model T's did account for 40% of the cars in the 20's...so..?
    Name:  Car Chassis.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  110.1 KBName:  Stamp assembly.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  47.8 KBName:  Stamp Patent date.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  37.3 KBName:  CT state permit.jpg
Size:  52.5 KB
    Saturday I went to a few fields near a school for the club hunt. I didn't get much luck there, but a few people got some finds. The person who had set up the place had a lot more finds. I'm sure the person who got the permission knows all about the hotter areas. I started a line in the middle of the field and did a loop around the outside. Nothing but canslaw. Once I saw Roger had found a 1907 Barber quarter, a few of us went up to the area he got it. I immediately started getting more finds, too bad they were only modern pennies. Nothing much came up so eventually I checked out and walked down the street. I knew of a cellar hole that should exist. There is a slight area paved like a tiny driveway inlet but I never found the actual cellar. It should have been by the side of the road. idk. But it was ridiculously overgrown, and not by the stuff that dies down in the fall, obviously. It was all thick brush and briers and barberries and shrubs and saplings. Very little swinging room. I walked up a little ways to the area of the hill where it was more forest like and had a rock drainage piece. There was a flat area, but all that could be found were very large deep targets and cans from rowdy teens. There was a pic that I took of the vines. I have seen bigger, but these were still large. The pines, however, we noticed that were all lined up in rows and columns at the base of this hill area. Maybe the far spot was a tree farm. So, since I was still in the town, I went to an area where I had some luck, but was a cellar that I could readily see. There I got a war nickel (42) at the base of this huge tree. I checked it last night for a VDI and it was really low, lower than a normal nickel despite there being silver content. idk. I did get a tiny complete crotal bell a few inches away from some iron. It still has the clacker and rings too. No identifying marks that I can see. I got a nice ornate parasol tip, too.
    Befitting shape for Oct 31. I thought it was a candle snuffer, less the handle of course. Oh, and I found some big iron that is interesting but idk what it is. There is also a spoon bowl which I can't tell if oxidation made it shaped as it is, or if it was designed being wavy. One of the round items was definitely a watch cover; the other piece in the same pic idk but was in the same spot. I don't think it goes to the watch. The oval piece has got me perplexed/flabbergasted. It's two pieces but I added arrows to show the two dimples like you would see in a buckle. After cleaning it up, it seems like there was a coating over brass. That's prob the whatsit that I would like to find out what it is.

Name:  Big Vines.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  50.2 KBName:  42 War Nickel.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  56.7 KBName:  Mini Crotal and nickel.jpg
Size:  63.6 KBName:  Spoon bowl and top.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  58.8 KBName:  Buckle piece and nickel.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  55.3 KBName:  War Nickel and buckle.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  55.8 KBName:  Dug Parasol.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  79.3 KBName:  Parasol Tip.jpg
Size:  47.3 KBName:  Watch cover and other cover.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  48.5 KBName:  Odd Iron.jpg
Size:  63.9 KB
    Sunday I got out for a short hunt. Back at the Friday spot. It was more hiking than swinging so I cut it short from lack of energy. I walked down the old road all the way. Sure enough I did spot the holes that were mentioned and a ridiculously far cut stone property marker. I found the other part to the key lock escutcheon I found earlier and I found a Slaymaker lock. They have been around since 1888, but seeing some of the designs they had and the fact one that looks reaaaly close to mine except it was rustproof was vintage 50's, I'd put mine sometime between 1930 and 1950. The last item was some sort of toy. I found it on the top of an old mill site I drove by and wanted to check. It is a huge mill right by the side of the road. There was a ton of iron and modern trash. It looks like kids/teens ride bikes or dirt bikes in the base of the foundation and there is a hill side to get in and an opening at the lower lever to get out. I didn't stay long due to the modern trash. A computer chair was there....??? We'll see what the new time change brings and the hunts before the ground freezes.

Name:  Slaymaker Lock.jpg
Size:  43.4 KBName:  Entire Handle.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  48.5 KBName:  Toy Piece.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  32.7 KB

I love the crotal Jim, hey do you know what the 9th pic down is? I find those all the time and no one has been able to definitively ID them. You may have mentioned it, but I can't get through it all as I'm busy at the moment. What club hunt...Yankee Coin Shooters? I agree, that last pic is a toy, I have that same thing, but with more attached.
    Last edited by OxShoeDrew; 11-02-2015 at 05:04 PM.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Nice going on a lot of interesting finds .

Great and interesting finds-looks like you did well! Love that bell-congrats!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    I love the crotal Jim, hey do you know what the 9th pic down is? I find those all the time and no one has been able to definitively ID them. You may have mentioned it, but I can't get through it all as I'm busy at the moment. What club hunt...Yankee Coin Shooters? I agree, that last pic is a toy, I have that same thing, but with more attached.
    I do like the crotal too. It looks like it has an iron clacker inside. Idk if that signifies when it might be made. First complete one as the huge one I got had a small piece missing. Thanks.

The 9th pic? I guess you did miss the mention. I forgive ya. lol. The upper round cover is for a pocket watch. As for the lower one, I am uncertain. I can't tell if the hole in it is offset due to the item being crushed, or if it would be a little offset anyway. Whatever it was for, it is just a little smaller than a pocket watch. And yes, the YTC club.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Thrills View Post
    Nice going on a lot of interesting finds .
    Thanks CT. I like to get some things with age. As I was talking with a co-worker to whom I show finds, anyone might see the parasol tip or the belt plate in a museum, but if you weren't the one digging it up or at least exposed to detecting or other's finds, you would prob just pass it off and think nothing of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Great and interesting finds-looks like you did well! Love that bell-congrats!
    Thanks DOD. I think you were one who said I was busy with the junk pic I took a few weeks ago. There's never a shortage of stuff to dig. Just sometimes it ends up being interesting. I like that bell too. Still rings. Thanks.

congrats on the crotal Jim , how was the turn out at the club hunt ?? who was the big finder ?? I still say the one item is a parasol top , i've got a few laying around in displays somewhere .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Who the heck schedules meetings on a Friday?... sounds like where I work. Anyways its always nice to get out regardless of the finds. I like the crotal bell.

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    congrats on the crotal Jim , how was the turn out at the club hunt ?? who was the big finder ?? I still say the one item is a parasol top , i've got a few laying around in displays somewhere .
    Dan
    Tenks, Dan. For the club hunt, I believe it was either 38 or 42 'unofficial' members there. There was a soccer game behind the school at some point, and throughout the morning a bunch of power-walkers, so you couldn't tell by the cars in the lot. Idk, I heard two LCs came up; one was from the father-son duo and the son picked it up in the road in the back of the field toward the farther field. Paul's post on YTC, I believe was what he found throughout his previous trips there. And Roger with his silver Barber quarter. I think he was a bit discouraged because when I fully left (after the discouragement not finding the cellar up the road) I saw his van parked back at the site I where all those LCs came up, along with a few other YTC cars. I just continued until I saw the apple farm stand and then went to the cellar hole I knew of. Roger had my number so if he wanted me back at the farm he woulda called me.

You are prob right on the parasol. I just never thought of that when I dug it. There sure isn't any broken spot where a handle would have gone. It is just 'foreign' to me because it is so tall. And it is weird that it looks like there was a nail driven through on an angle it at some point and now rotted away.

Quote Originally Posted by chief5709 View Post
    Who the heck schedules meetings on a Friday?... sounds like where I work. Anyways its always nice to get out regardless of the finds. I like the crotal bell.
    Some of the irrational decisions they make surprises me, form a logical perspective that rational decisions drive a business forward. If it ain't broke, lets make it be. So, to do meetings on a Friday at the end of the day just goes without saying. BUT this week they managed it on a Monday and Wed. Not a Fri...

Yeah, the quiet in the woods at a cellar or getting out with the group is good. I'd say I prefer a few people or myself in the woods. Good to share finds when they are dug if there is someone around. Its extra quiet by yourself in the woods, but it's still somewhat quiet with a few people. Thanks.

Nice finds. Early last year I found a hunting license that looks exactly like yours Except it said Rhode Island. Probably came from same manufacturing company. Funny what you can find in the middle of nowhere
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Great group of relics....especially that crotal bell. I also have no idea what the item in photo #9 is, don't think I have ever found one.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Quote Originally Posted by RIdirtdigger View Post
    Nice finds. Early last year I found a hunting license that looks exactly like yours Except it said Rhode Island. Probably came from same manufacturing company. Funny what you can find in the middle of nowhere
    ....almost middle of nowhere. Your place prob Is the boonies. Two cellars a minute up the road from my place prob is the boonies too, but it is near a 1780 standing house. It is expected at my site, tho, cuz the owner said about a hunter going there. I am surprised there was no ID inside. When I took it out and was about to clean it up, I saw the black squiggle and with orange on each side. I thought a salamander was trapped inside. Lol. Turns out the pin is wavy iron and obvi rusty iron turns black and orange.

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    Great group of relics....especially that crotal bell. I also have no idea what the item in photo #9 is, don't think I have ever found one.
    Thanks, Al. Apparently Drew and I are the only ones who have dug them. Whatever it is, mine was found right out front of the house which is facing a 150-200 year old tree that is across the road, but the hole was next to a 50-60 year old tree by the side of the old road next to the watch cover and the spoon bowl. I don't think the house fell that way cuz there was a lot less iron, and therefore more likely a personal item than part of the house. The parasol tip, tho, was only a few inches down within the 15 ft between the house and well. The well at the 9 o'clock and big tree at 12 o'clock.

Some very interesting finds. Not mediocre in my mind.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

That key hole plate is sweet!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Some very interesting finds. Not mediocre in my mind.
    Thanks Jeff. I guess some of the luck recently has 'spoiled' me into thinking this was mediocre. Last year, this would def be a good hunt in my eyes. <Insert biblical quote here that applies>.

Quote Originally Posted by Bell-Two View Post
    That key hole plate is sweet!
    Sure is, Tony. I like how ornate it is and not an every day find. Happy to get all of it.