Thread: Group Hunt, Then Solo

Group Hunt, Then Solo

I had the pleasure of spending a day (whole day ) with Lee, Brian, and Dan last Saturday. We hiked over a mile into the hilly woods on paths as old as they come in the US.
    Dan brought us to one of his sites, a seriously large hole I'm usually the one who runs away and isn't heard from, but that day I never lost site of the hole as I kept digging non-ferrous targets within yards of the cellar. The saddle decoration and drawer pull were right near the lip...but oddly, NO COINS!
    On the way out Dan found a REALLY old hole that we (or at least I) would have walked right by. There were tombac buttons everywhere...but again, NO COINS
    I got to see Lee dig his first ox shoe and hopefully his last ...also dandy with a bust!? Did you ever ID that?
    ...and I saw Brian dig a sweetly designed dandy button!
    This morning I went to one of my fields....slipping on cow poop and wet grass, I dug the four coins and colonial knee buckle frame. Thanks for looking!

PS I finally found out what those oval, two piece things are!!! I found a bunch of them together, along with the clips, they are for coats. The clip fit perfectly in the base....then I remembered having a coat like that!!! So they are old, but NOT THAT OLD
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by OxShoeDrew; 11-11-2015 at 03:56 PM.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

yeah I wouldn't of minded the long hike if that first area had a cellar hole , all them large fields and no site , I don't get it . The large cellar we did hit was pretty beat but they did leave some brass targets here an there and the cabin site was interesting that i wouldn't mind going back to again and exploring some more . Congrats on the nice knee buckle frame it has great patina and thanks for solving those brass mystery ovals !!
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Looks like you guys had a nice day. Those must have been some pretty old cellar holes.
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

At least it was only a one mile hike....... Congrats on that knee buckle, looks great.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Looks like a good day all together, with some nice finds to boot-even a silver merc! Congrats!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

HEY HEY!! You figured out what those ovals were. I was wondering what it was. Esp I dug one the weekend before last. You got the clips to at least let you figure out. That buckle is pretty nice, and you even got an oxknob. There's no way Dan sniffed out all the coins before but left you one single ox knob to find. Lol.

" Slipping on cow poop and wet grass"..........that would be a heck of a title for a Country and Western song . Congrats on a couple of nice hunts Drew .

Nice finds Drew and keep your head up in them fields for the poop! Buckle looks great by the way. I've hit similar cellar holes where there are a number of non-ferrous targets but no coins. Uncommon, but not surprising if the folks were poor.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Another nice group of finds there Drew. I like the spoon, it has a unique shape.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Nice goin Drew!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album